Author Topic: Five Fatal Flaws of Solar Energy  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
Five Fatal Flaws of Solar Energy
« on: July 27, 2014, 09:48:02 AM »
The sun is the most important energy source on Earth.  Solar energy powers the growth of all trees, grasses, herbs, crops and algae; it creates the clouds and powers the storms; it is the source of all hydro, photo-voltaic (PV), solar-thermal, bio-mass, and wind energy.  Over geological time, it also creates coal.
PV solar panels are useful in remote locations and for some portable applications.  With enough panels and batteries, standalone solar can even power homes.
But solar energy has five fatal flaws for supplying 24/7 grid power.

http://www.americanthinker.com/assets/3rd_party/printpage/?url=http://www.americanthinker.com/2014/07/five_fatal_flaws_of_solar_energy.html
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Five Fatal Flaws of Solar Energy
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 02:26:48 PM »
Large scale does seem problematic, but small scale individual use to augment other sources can be effective, for larger scale production maybe geothermal makes more sense but the demand would have to be limited to the output.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 05:05:51 PM »
"
Firstly, sunshine at any spot is always intermittent and often unreliable.  Solar panels can deliver significant energy only from 9am to 3pm – a maximum of 25% of each day.  Solar can often help supply the hot afternoon demand for air conditioning, but demand for electricity generally peaks at about 6:30pm, when production from solar is usually zero."

Yep and Coal Mines and oil fields don't pump 24/7 but somehow this isn't a problem..oh right, the energy is stored in a liquid form.  So if you are using batteries, you store the energy produced and you don't need  continuous sunlight.  I hate when Conservatives try to aruge this crap and then make arguments that are dumber than the ones liberal make.

Secondly, to be a standalone energy supplier, PV solar needs batteries to cover those times when solar is not producing – about 75% of the time under ideal cloudless skies.  To charge the batteries for continuous power, while also supplying usable power, a solar plant can deliver a theoretical maximum of only 25% of its daytime capacity.  The chance of cloudy days will greatly increase the battery storage needed and the generating capacity absorbed in charging the batteries.  Currently, only pumped hydro storage could possibly supply the storage capacity needed, and then only at massive cost, in a few suitable locations.

Um, many power plants need to be run 24/7 at capacities HIGHER  than what is used because they can't do ON-DEMAND supply as quickly as something like a battery could.  And yes pumping water and using that as a Battery is perfectly viable, but most batteries will be more efficient than that. And who says you can turn on other sources when you are having a cloud day? A Hybrid Solar/fossil fuel plant would do just fine. Again, stupid argument.

Thirdly, solar energy is very dilute, so huge areas of land are needed to collect industrial quantities of energy....Graham Palmer has produced a credible calculation that it would take a square with 31-km sides, completely filled with PV panels, to collect energy equivalent to Australia’s annual electricity requirements. To also charge batteries to maintain steady supply from a standalone solar facility would require at least four times this area – imagine 3,844 square kilometers of collectors, even if suitable battery technology were available.

And? How many square KM of roofs are there in a decent sized city?  Australia has 7.7 MILLION sq Km  and 22.6 Million residents.   -- 0.25%  of Austrailian land area is urban -- so roughly 20,000 sq KM. - and if you can build hig density urban structures over that much land mass is 31 KM of panels really such a ridiculous undertaking ? Especially  when they can be attached to roofs in those high density urban areas and supply much of the power EXACTLY where its needed?  And I have NO IDEA where he is getting the battery area.. For one thing batteries, unlike panels,  are three dimensional.  My batteries take up a 4 X 4 X 2 foot box - and store enough electricity  to fully run  the house for a day and a half without charging.  Edison batteries are better and larget. Maybe twice as big.  PVs main downfall is battery tech - energy storage,  but I have no idea why he thinks that much area would be required.

The fourth fatal flaw of solar energy is the pernicious effect of the dramatic fluctuations in supply on the reliable and essential parts of the grid.  When solar electricity floods the network around mid-day, the backup stations have to throttle back, all the stations needed for stability and backup have their profits reduced, and some may be forced to close, making the network even more fragile and prone to blackouts.  Then, if a cloud floats across the sky, the backups have to restart swiftly.

Yeah, so that is why you have batteries.  They serve as a resovir of energy to meet the demand.  You might have the inbound river to the reservoir  flowing only 1/4 of the time,  but you can let water out at any rate...  again stupid argument.

Fifthly, large-scale solar power will create environmental damage over large areas of land.  Solar collectors may manage to convert only about 10% of the sun’s energy into electricity, the rest being reflected or turned into heat.  But the whole solar spectrum is blocked, thus robbing 100% of the life-giving sunshine from the ground underneath, creating a man-made solar desert.  For solar thermal, where mirrors focus intense solar heat to generate steam, birds that fly through the heat beams get fried.  Why would true environmentalists support industrial-scale solar energy collection?

Um if you build these facilities in urban areas - which are already man-made solar deserts as they are covered with asphalt and concrete,  how does it matter?
True environmentalists would kill all of the humans. So what?

There are nano-tech advances that are anti-dust coatings and one guy was Printinng panels -- then a single wire running on each side of the road and this printed surface end up creating massive amounts of surface area..

If you want to complain about how solar is stupid here is the argument

1) Cost.  I produce power at about 40 cent KW-HR over the life of the system. I can buy it from the grild right not for 8 cents/ KW-HR.   THAT is stupid.

Otherwise Solar works great, breaks an individual's  dependence upon the grid, provides massive  implicit redundancy  if done in small scale in many many locations. If advances reduced the cost of a PV system with Batteries such that you would expect to pay 6 cents KW hr over the life of the system you would be an IDIOT not to get one.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:48:44 PM by Weisshaupt »

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 05:26:12 PM »
Cost of the panels and the even higher cost of the batteries is what keeps me from buying a solar system.

Plus, I wonder about the life span of the system? The batteries in my boat and cars last about 4 yrs. The small solar panels used offshore for charging nav-aid batteries seems to have about a 5 yr life span. Something in the offshore environment (salt?) causes them to shatter rendering them useless.

What kind of load are you carrying for your house? Since I'm rural with no natural gas source, we're all electric. The furnace/ac, stove, and clothes dryer are the main loads. With out those, we can get by with about 3.5-5.0 kw.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 07:53:06 PM »
Cost of the panels and the even higher cost of the batteries is what keeps me from buying a solar system.

Plus, I wonder about the life span of the system? The batteries in my boat and cars last about 4 yrs. The small solar panels used offshore for charging nav-aid batteries seems to have about a 5 yr life span. Something in the offshore environment (salt?) causes them to shatter rendering them useless.

What kind of load are you carrying for your house? Since I'm rural with no natural gas source, we're all electric. The furnace/ac, stove, and clothes dryer are the main loads. With out those, we can get by with about 3.5-5.0 kw.

You can't heat a house with Solar Power to electric base board.  (ok, you can, but you shouldn't)   We use propane furnace  and a wood stove.
Otherwise its electric dryer, electric range etc.  We use LEDs etc.. Most smaller homes use between 600-800 KW-hrs a month and a 4000 Watt array should be good enough to do that. The best batteries to get are the Nickel Iron Edison batteries ( they aren't cheap and they are big, but they will last hundreds of years)
Panels will have a rated life of about 20 years, and will lose some amount every year .. but probably won't dip below 80%  of their rated wattage - and will continue to work (and degrade) after the 20 years are up.  SO at some point you buy new panels - but the inverter and other equipment will just keep on ticking.. 

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 10:38:29 PM »
Gosh, I'm sorry but PV solar, as currently developed, is a poor solution as an energy source. I mean, it's better than sitting in the dark but it does have significant drawbacks and the article's author is correct in documenting them. It really is all about money. The damned things are too expensive and are, for the most part, a niche product. That is, they solve a particular problem for a particular person. They are not an energy panacea and absent very significant advances in material sciences and manufacturing efficiencies they never will be.

The one thing that was not mentioned in the article was the extreme immaturity of the battery industry. Batteries suck. They are too expensive. They take up too much space. They take too long to charge. They give up their energy too fast. They have a relatively short life. Some of them are very dangerous (corrosive chemicals and fire hazards). I have said this before: You will know that battery technology has arrived when you can charge one in five minutes and it lasts all day. This is the reason that electric cars suck...they suck because batteries suck. No getting around it.

Another thing not mentioned in the article was hot water solar. Hot water solar is a mixed bag. First of all, it can be used for hot water heating (baths, showers, laundry, etc.) or it can be used for winter home heating. So far, so good. But, just like PV, it's pretty damned expensive up front. You will have to use it for well over a decade before you pay off the investment in savings versus traditional hot water heating or home heating. Another big problem, just like PV, is storage. Because you can't generate hot water on cloudy days or at night you have to have a bunch of insulated tanks and that eats into the available/usable square footage of your home. Always remember that when it comes to home heating, when you need it the most (at night) there isn't any available unless you have it stored.

The bottom line with solar is that you have it for one of two reasons: You are very wealthy, can afford it and think you need it. Or...you need it because of a niche need. That need can be prepper related (you want power no matter what happens) or you live somewhere that is far away from the grid and don't feel like trucking in fuel for a generator. But that's about it. Anyone who thinks that they are somehow going to "put one over" on the power company by investing in solar PV is apparently too stupid to do basic math.

Like almost every other "green" technology, if it can't stand on its own without subsidies, if it can't stand up to market forces then it pretty much sucks.

So, that's my two cents.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 11:35:36 PM »
The damned things are too expensive and are, for the most part, a niche product. That is, they solve a particular problem for a particular person. They are not an energy panacea and absent very significant advances in material sciences and manufacturing efficiencies they never will be.

Yep. I was willing to pay the extra money for power because I wanted to have power NO MATTER WHAT. It makes NO SENSE AT ALL for large scale generation or distribution because other methods are still WAY MORE ECONOMICALLY Efficient.  A Large Scale Solar project would still have to sell power at 20-30 cents/KW-HR retail to be economically viable.  Why would you do that when Coal/Nat Gas plants  allow it to be 6-12 cents?

I have a second home without PV , I want to add it .. and will , if other higher priority things are taken care of first. However, a lot of the Nano Tech is looking very promising - for both panels and for Batteries in the form of super capacitors.  I think the Nano-Material revolution will very likely provide the needed advances  in the next few decades -- providing we don't kill each other first.  So, not yet is the correct answer.  Nickel Iron Edison batteries ( now available in the US)  are perfect for solar generation and will last hundreds of years..  and will work fine in single home applications.  They are, however, still too expensive, too heavy and take up too much space for the average homeowner.  The prices are coming down. A system like mine would cost $6-8 less than it did when I bought it and implemented it.  There  are certainly cheaper solutions.. but they all require fuel inputs.. the PV solar, once implemented, just works.

First of all, it can be used for hot water heating (baths, showers, laundry, etc.) or it can be used for winter home heating. So far, so good. But, just like PV, it's pretty damned expensive up front. You will have to use it for well over a decade before you pay off the investment in savings versus traditional hot water heating or home heating.

Actually I have seen some DYI designs that come in under $1000 that I will implement if I get the chance(The one I am thinking of is in use  in Montana- and they provide actual data on how the system works and its impressive. )  Again, it won't be a panacea. You will need the ability to add supplemental heat. But when Propane or Nat gas is $80 a gallon, you will be happy to only have to add the heat once in a while. 

I am always disturbed by the "green" bent where its 100% solar or nothing.  Solar systems should be coupled with hydrocarbon  alternates in a hybrid solution.  Does my PV system allow me to connect a  hydro-carbon fuel generator  to charge the batteries - YES IT DOES.  I paid more to obtain that feature so it would happen automatically. Even if you buy a generator, getting a DC generator with Batts and an INVERTER is STILL a better solution because you can run the generator for a few hours and STORE the energy produced minus conversion losses. Those losses   aren't insignificant but better than running a 4000 Watt generator and then using 100 Watts of the power produced at any given moment..

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 07:23:35 AM »
I agree with the preceeding discussion, which is why (Weisshaupt being a prime example) I can see where individuals who can afford it and implement it, solar can be an effective energy source, I just cannot see it being a commercially viable source, it's not like it can or ever will be used to provide electricity to everyone on the planet...well, perhaps everyone once the wars die out...they'll be a lot less people to provide energy for then...

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 09:09:03 AM »
I should also point out that since I installed my own system,  I basically paid less than people paying to have it installed..  it is VERY labor intensive. My system would have cost close to 80K if I had paid someone to come dig the trenches, do the wiring, set up the array, build the battery shed and make all of the connections.
I basically placed a bet that the system would work for 20 years ( it might not)  and bought the electricity I would use over that time up front for around $0.20-25 per KW-Hr.  still more than double what most people pay - right now. Of course Uncle Sam gave me 30%  off that price, so it was subsidized to be around 15 cents per KW - which makes it ALMOST what people pay in some areas ( 12 cents)

Prices on panels etc have come down a bit, but the main cost is really in inverters and batteries ( almost 2/3rd)  so depending on assumptions installing a system yourself now would net you costs of a few cents less than mine.

If Obama does get his way and the coal industry goes bankrupt,  this bet may still pay off in economic terms as retail prices rise and especially if rolling blackouts begin.  Many in 3rd world countries do not own freezers or fridges because the power is too erratic and they can't afford the loss if they loose the food so stored .. so they must shop daily -which exposes you to more danger of being mugged, robbed, raped or shot or simply being SOL if the store is wiped clean.. You aren't making a lot of noise as you produce the power either, so no one will come sniffing.  (The panels however, if spotted, and they will be because they need a large clear space to operate well, will be a dead giveaway)

I personally like having the idea of living as I do now, but if your goal is simply emergency power for certain systems ( furnace, fridge, freezer, sparing use of an electric burner for cooking )   a System like this would work fine for you.
 Yeah, its still 9K + labor, ( and Uncle Sam pays 3K of it)  but I still think a PV system is a far better choice than a fossil fuel generator for teotwawki power- and worth the extra money on that basis. 

The tech is perfectly viable from a technical standpoint - its the economic standpoint that is the killer argument against it,  which is why Liberals argue for it as yet just another economy killing thing. Why the original article concentrates on technical issues  that aren't really issues, and not the actual economic stupidity of the enterprise, I have no idea.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:17:56 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 09:27:30 AM »
Yeah, its still 9K + labor, ( and Uncle Sam pays 3K of it)  but I still think a PV system is a far better choice than a fossil fuel generator for teotwawki power- and worth the extra money on that basis.

That, my friend, we definitely agree on.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 11:28:40 AM »
If we keep the lake place I want to do something...whatever I can afford...and I don't know about other parts of the country but I would have to come up with some sort of rapid-response protective system of some sort to protect the panels...we get hail and straight line winds and the occasional tornado...the latter I can do noting about except hit up my insurance company, the previous two I could act to save myself the deductible.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 02:53:27 PM »
Hey what was it we were saying about cost?

(CNSNews.com) - For the first time ever, the average price for a kilowatthour (KWH) of electricity in the United States has broken through the 14-cent mark, climbing to a record 14.3 cents in June, according to data released last week by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Before this June, the highest the average price for a KWH had ever gone was 13.7 cents, the level it hit in June, July, August and September of last year.

SO yeah,  if you install your own (with Batts)  its almost a wash.  If you do a strict Grid tie ( with no batteries - and therefore no power when the grid goes out ( it has to be off because it shares the same lines people will be working on)  its a no brainer at this point..  1 5.5 K Watt Grid tie system will run around $13K - 7K of which you pay for after Govt tax credits - meaning your power over the 20 year lifespan will cost around 8 cents per KW-Hr.  And yeah,  those grid  prices under Obama are only going to go up.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 06:39:03 AM »
Hey what was it we were saying about cost?

(CNSNews.com) - For the first time ever, the average price for a kilowatthour (KWH) of electricity in the United States has broken through the 14-cent mark, climbing to a record 14.3 cents in June, according to data released last week by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Before this June, the highest the average price for a KWH had ever gone was 13.7 cents, the level it hit in June, July, August and September of last year.

SO yeah,  if you install your own (with Batts)  its almost a wash.  If you do a strict Grid tie ( with no batteries - and therefore no power when the grid goes out ( it has to be off because it shares the same lines people will be working on)  its a no brainer at this point..  1 5.5 K Watt Grid tie system will run around $13K - 7K of which you pay for after Govt tax credits - meaning your power over the 20 year lifespan will cost around 8 cents per KW-Hr.  And yeah,  those grid  prices under Obama (or any Statist) are only going to go up.

FIFY!