Author Topic: My newest toy  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
My newest toy
« on: March 15, 2014, 06:17:16 PM »
Woohoo!

"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
Re: My newest toy
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 06:18:55 PM »
I got one today, too!
Mine is a little lower end but in my price range.

Jimenez Arms(?) 380
Cute little thing

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 08:11:37 PM »
I love the M&P, especially for the price. When I first got it, I had an issue with stovepiping cartridges, but with a little help from the range officer I learned to adjust my grip and correct it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 08:29:22 PM »
  Cute little thing.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 01:37:45 PM »
Range reports expected.   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 02:30:24 PM »

Aye!  But today is 37 degrees, rain, and heavy fog.  This translates into a G32 laying on the couch watching TV day.  Range report next weekend hopefully!

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »

Aye!  But today is 37 degrees, rain, and heavy fog.  This translates into a G32 laying on the couch watching TV day.  Range report next weekend hopefully!

Heh, yeah...that plan can work.   :D

Can always get a feel for her from there too...sight in on the TV, especially when somebody stupid is on.   ;)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 03:42:41 PM »
Good idea.  Turns out there is a use for MSNBC after all.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 06:17:56 AM »
There ya go!   ::thumbsup::

Offline OldSailor

• The world is sick and getting sicker.
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 11:57:18 AM »
Looks like a nice piece Glock, either for concealed carry or as a backup piece.

I've got an older piece, an import from Brazil called an "Ultrastar" chambered in 9mm.  Looks to be about the same size as your M&P.  If yours shoots as well as mine you should be a happy camper.  It's no longer made but I've owned mine for (oh golly!) about 15 years but have never had even one failure that I can recall out of thousands of rounds sent downrange.  My son shot it yesterday and likes it, but not enough to give up his .40 Ruger.
"In it's most basic form the right to keep and bear arms is nothing less than the right to maintain the means of one's own self-defense. If a man chooses not to arm himself, that is his choice and right. It is NOT his right to force his choice upon me." - Me

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 07:06:33 PM »
  The sad part is that a .380 round is about as expensive as a .40 and a .9mm is the cheapest of all. Why a .380 is so hight priced when all it is is a short 9mm.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 10:10:21 PM »
John, I know what you're saying.
Bought mine at a show for $159.
Ammo was $25!!!
There were no small 9MMs there so I got a 380

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 02:00:36 PM »
I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a lot of .380 before the craziness, will just buy a box now for target practice, the prices are the new normal.  I still have a concern over lead supplies, now that the shop in MO was driven out of business by Obama and how that affects long term ammo availability, if we have to import lead it means custom interference will be the statists next target and they may crimp civilian availability to keep government supplies stocked.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 11:22:56 PM »
So anyhow you guys wanted a range report so here it is, belatedly.  I took the Shield out for its maiden voyage weekend before last.  Didn't get quite as much trigger time as I would have liked, but it was enough to confirm that the M&P Shield is a real shooter alright.

Rather had to describe, but it has the feel of a real "combat" pistol rather than a niche subcompact CCW pistol.  You know how some of those small subcompacts are specialized for small dimensions, with heavy triggers and other features appropriate for a "stick it in your pocket and maybe fire it once or twice a year" type guns. Well the Shield is not one of those. It's got the small dimensions, but it has the feel of a larger pistol. The trigger is sublime. This is the best striker-fired trigger I have used. It's about 6 pounds of pull weight, but the break is very crisp, and the reset very crisp too.  I understand the Shield's trigger is now being used in the entire M&P line.

I'll try to get a lengthier range session with it this weekend.  I fired Federal American Eagle 124 grain FMJ target ammo, and Federal HST 124 grain +P hollow points without any malfunctions and accuracy from the 3.1" barrel is plenty good.  I really like the Shield, so much that I now find myself interested in a full size M&P even though I've got several full size 9mm pistols already.  Might have to look at the 45 Auto.

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 12:07:54 AM »
Happy to have the critique; thanks, Glock.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 07:33:13 AM »
Nice.  I know what you mean on the feel, it feels substantial, my Walther has that kind of feel, but yours must be more so with that smooth striker-fire trigger.  S&W has a lot of nice toys...given enough time I'll probably pick up one or two.  Doesn't sound like you noticed anything different with the +P rounds so that is good, sometimes outfits say a piece can handle +P and others like S&W know how to deliver on that.  Must have good internals if you didn't note anything.

::thumbsup::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 11:15:03 AM »
The manual says it can fire +P rounds but that they recommend keeping it to a limited amount.  Federal HST +P is what I had already, so I figured I'd make sure it feeds it ok.  I might pick up Federal HST 147 grain standard pressure for the Shield.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 11:24:57 AM »
I think you could load +P for carry if you wanted to, as most rounds fired are in practice and not defense, I think they say that so people at the range don't just run box after box of +P through their product.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 11:06:04 PM »
Yeah it would be fine with +P ammo as a carry load I'm sure.  I just started overthinking and was wondering about velocity vs. weight when using such a short barrel.  I am thinking a short barrel might lend itself to the heavier bullet since velocity will already be reduced, plus the 147 grain loads of recent years seem to have emerged at the top of the heap. Mainly though this is just me subconsciously trying to justify to myself buying a whole new type of ammo.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 07:21:42 AM »
Heh, yeah...I've had those internal debates before too.

You are going to lose some (or rather not experience full ) velocity on a short barrel so the only other way to influence energy is to look to the mass side of the equation.

::thumbsup::