Author Topic: My newest toy, Part 2  (Read 694 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
My newest toy, Part 2
« on: April 17, 2014, 10:54:42 PM »
Some people collect stamps.  I on the other hand collect these.

My latest acquisition.  It's a Serbian AK, from the Zastava factory.  It has a few unique characteristics compared to the baseline AKM, most notably the bolt hold feature.  With a compatible magazine, the bolt will hold open after the last round.  It also has a notch in the selector lever that permits holding the bolt open in the Safe position.  Other differences are in the furniture.  The buttstock is held by a bolt that goes all the way through and into the receiver, rather than by a tang like normal AKs.  There's also some subtle differences with the front trunion, and the receiver cover has a catch bolt that was installed due to the Yugos using their rifles to launch rifle grenades. Overall though these differences are minor and it's otherwise a typical AK.

By far this one has the best fit and finish of any AK I've bought.  All the parts are assembled tight and straight.  No rattles or canted sights.  Range report forthcoming.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: My newest toy, Part 2
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:14:31 PM »
Beauty.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:26:06 PM »
Thanks.  I agree.  The thing that caught my eye was the stock.  A lot of AKs have rather atrocious looking wood, slathered in shellac or varnish.  This on the other hand stood out because of the quality of the wood, with a nice "in the wood" finish.  On my others I swapped out the wood for synthetic furniture, but this one is definitely staying as-is.

The buttstock is also cut a bit different from a typical AK stock.  It's thicker, and the "wrist" portion is more rounded and gradual in the taper. Personally I like this buttstock, and it's easier to get a good cheek weld with it due to the higher comb.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 07:25:00 AM »
It's almost too clean and neat to be a proper AK! 

But I agree, she is a beaut.  Heck, I could go for something like that.

Let us know the price tag on that, or if you prefer to not make public PM me.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 11:56:47 AM »
The rifle model is the M70 N-PAP imported by Century Arms.  The going rate is generally somewhere in the 500-600 range.  Mine was 599, but it did come with a 75 round drum as well, and I know people have paid $100 just for those.  I don't see myself using the drum, but it's cool to have.

- Yours Truly

Offline fordguy_85

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 12:03:15 PM »
That's a sweet looking AK for sure  ::thumbsup::
Eric Morgan
"Can the liberties of a nation be secure when we have removed the conviction that these liberties are the gift of God?" - Thomas Jefferson

"Opinions and instructions do not outmatch the Constitution. Against it, they are void." - Calvin Coolidge

Offline Magnum

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »
Glock I almost bought that gun the other day at the local gun shop. It is a beautiful gun! I am happy for you and thanks for the review I have it on my radar. However something happened to me a few months back, I contracted a gun virus that has caused me to obsess over AR 15's. I just got finished with my 2nd build and I am waiting on a 300 AAC blackout upper to start my third. I don't know what happened after contracting that virus........... I feel like a little boy again.   The wifey bless her heart is smiling and unbelievably supportive she told me "I love to see you like this" and soon she wants me to build her one  ::danceban::

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:17:45 PM by Magnum »
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9