Author Topic: The Post Office Wants To Mine And Sell Data Gathered From Your Mail  (Read 539 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
As if Americans needed one more reason to dislike the post office, now comes word that it wants to begin mining and selling private data gathered from our personal mail.

USPS chief marketing and sales officer Nagisa Manabe recently told the PostalVision 2020 conference that the post office is “actively looking for ways to build new business lines around what not long ago might have been considered science fiction.”

And is still considered spying, you fckwad.  And why the hell do we have so many in government with weird friggin names?

While some of Manabe’s ideas included useful fixes like new delivery systems and partnerships, one idea stands out as troubling: selling data collected from observations of personal mail – sent and received – by potential every person in the country.

He described a scenario in which a woman test drives two different types of cars at two different dealerships, while trying to decide which one to buy.

...Manabe said the “marketing opportunity” is too big for USPS to pass up:

“As we know more and more about how consumers are traveling around and making their decisions, it behooves us to get involved and actually send them information to actually close the deal. For me, it’s all about speed and accuracy of the mail.”

H/T Weasel Zippers
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: The Post Office Wants To Mine And Sell Data Gathered From Your Mail
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 09:20:24 AM »
This kind of shyt happens on our computers every day, and it bothers the hell out of me. I go look at an item on Amazon, ebay, Walmart, Cabela's, or any other online retailer, and suddenly every webpage I go to that has embedded advertising will have an ad for something I've recently searched for on a retail site.

By suggesting about the only thing possible that could save the USPS from bankruptcy, this clown is just jumping on the bandwagon. Why NOT apply the same privacy-rape strategies of the cyber-world to our mailboxes? Especially when we've shown that we'll just roll over when we learn our government is digging into our private communications?

There is no privacy anymore. I think that until TSHTF, that is something that we'd all better get used to moving forward.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 09:34:08 AM »
"USPS chief marketing and sales officer Nagisa Manabe"

::facepalm::

Long-time marketing guru...has the Ivy League paper...

http://about.usps.com/who-we-are/leadership/officers/cmso-evp.htm

...no doubt a progressive true believer who sees the potential of bringing data-mining prowess to the Federal bureaucracy...

Well, if this happens I will bolt my mailbox shut and open up a UPS PO Box!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 11:28:42 AM »
It will likely drive more business away from the post office,  not towards it.   Meanwhile the post office will continue to burn up taxpayers dollars........