Author Topic: (live now) VDH:"The Failure of Versailles and the Interwar Years"  (Read 1758 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
streaming live on youtube.com right now

"The Failure of Versailles and the Interwar Years" - Victor Davis Hanson

Interesting but VDH always is!
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: (live now) VDH:"The Failure of Versailles and the Interwar Years"
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 06:42:43 AM »
I think I'll like this, I will have to dial in at home tonight and check it out, thanks for the link!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 09:15:08 AM »
Did get to check this out, it is a good presentation and I think he makes some really good observations about WWI and what eventually led to WWII.  He makes the distiction that "appeasement" is not indicative of relative military strength, but it is an indication of national will and leadership intent.  In a nut shell appeasement may not have been a new concept even though people at the time thought it progressive or more humane or some damn thing, but the lessons over the eons are clear - do not take a leisurely attitude about monsters at your door!

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 09:32:15 AM »
Did get to check this out, it is a good presentation and I think he makes some really good observations about WWI and what eventually led to WWII.  He makes the distiction that "appeasement" is not indicative of relative military strength, but it is an indication of national will and leadership intent.  In a nut shell appeasement may not have been a new concept even though people at the time thought it progressive or more humane or some damn thing, but the lessons over the eons are clear - do not take a leisurely attitude about monsters at your door!
We've done far worse than appeasement. No instead, we've invited out enemies to come and live amongst us even change our culture to allow their barbaric tendencies to alter what would normally be viewed as detrimental threat to our way of life.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 11:08:18 AM »
We've done far worse than appeasement. No instead, we've invited out enemies to come and live amongst us even change our culture to allow their barbaric tendencies to alter what would normally be viewed as detrimental threat to our way of life.

In practical effect not unlike latter day Rome, eh?  We all know how that ended.