Author Topic: The American people must reconcile rejecting our first Black president  (Read 7705 times)

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
If you're a middle-aged White guy like me, you likely grew up from the birth of your understanding with Dr. Martin Luther King's dream inculcated to you as an assumed virtue; never to leave you.

[blockquote]"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."[/blockquote]

Regardless of how you feel about racial dynamics as they exist, the righteous desire of this one quote is so self-evident as to be unassailable by any moral contradiction. No person of good will or good moral character could dispute the virtue of King's dream, or it's worthiness as an ideal.

The question in my mind was never IF America would have a "first Black president". The only questions in my mind were "when" and "who" - "who", being the only question that matters. As someone who believes that content of character is all, and skin-color is nothing, I just want my presidents to be good leaders and people of character, period. My only caveat to that is that I want them to be conservative and federalist. Skin color makes no difference to me.

But not so, for the Left. They rejected King's dream long ago, and have instead elevated to power those whose sole purpose is to perpetually divide Americans based on race and skin color, character be damned. Thanks to their incessant focus on racial divisiveness, King's dream was not to be realized before the election of the "first Black president".

Instead, our first Black president was elected under the party banner of the race-baiters. And because conservatives have allowed the Left to dictate the narrative on race for so long, the American people were in near universal agreement after Obama's election: it was a wonderful thing to elect a Black man, in spite of his political and ideological differences with the mainstream.

I understand why conservatives allowed race to be a special asterisk on Obama's presidency without a fight. For a time after his election, it was easy to focus on race over character, because to many people, it felt good, like a huge sigh of relief: the racial division of the past was now behind us.

But we did the bidding of the Left without even realizing it. The easy thing to do was express how wonderful it was that America had come so far. But even as we sought to highlight the post-racial implications of his election, the focus was still, tacitly, race.

Thus America fell into the trap of lauding Obama's election as "historic", based on nothing more than the color of his skin and America's past sins. For a brief moment, conservatives and liberals stopped bickering, and agreed that electing the first Black president was a wonderful thing.

But those race-centric accolades - accolades unrelated to the man's character - set the stage for the reckoning now faced by the entire nation: America must reject our first Black president after one term.

Obama was elected on the merits of politics, but the acceptance of the Leftist race narrative has now placed the American people in the position of doing something that further acceptance of the narrative cannot abide. The American people have to reconcile their desire for a post-racial America they believed was manifest in Obama's election, with the reality that the man elected to fill that "historic" role of "first Black president" needs to be fired, post-haste.

As I stated earlier, King's dream of character over race is a moral imperative. Thus, firing Barack Obama is morally congruent with King's dream - not counter to it. We must look at the man behind the "first Black president", and recognize that in choosing the "when" and the "who" of our first Black president, we could hardly have chosen worse. The man has the wrong character, the wrong agenda, the wrong friends, the wrong enemies, the wrong experience, the wrong intentions, and now: the wrong record.

It's time to face the fact that in our supposed "historic" leap forward to post racial America, we elected the most radical, anti-American, alien ideologue to ever hold the office. Our "first Black president" isn't on America's side folks. If you have not yet come to that conclusion, I cannot fathom what it will take for you to understand.

So I believe we must come to a reckoning. We have to embrace Martin Luther King Jr's. dream, if we are to save the American Dream. If we are to place character over race, we have to reject our first Black president, and that feels somehow counter-intuitive. But it is the truth, and it is the only moral choice.

And let's kill that Leftist narrative on race, while we're at it.

It ISN'T "wonderful" that America finally elected a Black president. Rather, it is a tragedy that America elected the WRONG president.

Cross-posted at RedState
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:12:50 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: The American people must reconcile rejecting our first Black president
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 06:08:31 PM »
 ::whoohoo::

I got to comment at Red State first.

Well done IDP!   ::thumbsup::

Time for We the People to return character to our elected representatives, and none is in more need of that virtue than the Presidency!

PS-I can't figure out how to add a link to IAL, is that something I just ahve to do in the body of my post now?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 08:00:18 PM »
Excellent job IDP . Bravo!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 08:34:26 PM »

Well said, comments forthcoming at RS.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 06:49:38 AM »

Well said, comments forthcoming at RS.

It appears that with the new format at RS, the "recommend" function is gone, and essays move up the list purely based on popularity determined by commentary.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 07:30:01 AM »
Yeah, I guess either process was still going to be based upon popular appeal of the content and the ability to vote up or down those commenting on it is meant to, what, stimulate more debate?

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 09:23:32 AM »
terrific!

I also commented at RS
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 11:36:25 AM »
Yeah, I guess either process was still going to be based upon popular appeal of the content and the ability to vote up or down those commenting on it is meant to, what, stimulate more debate?

At the beginning of comments where it says "_ _ comments" look to the right and there will be a star block, if you click it the number of stars will increase.
More stars must be better than fewer, IDP now has 3.  Even if one has no comment he may click the star and help increase the count.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »

At the beginning of comments where it says "_ _ comments" look to the right and there will be a star block, if you click it the number of stars will increase.
More stars must be better than fewer, IDP now has 3.  Even if one has no comment he may click the star and help increase the count.

Huh, one click per person.  Wonder what it goes up to...

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 12:05:19 PM »
 ::hat-tip:: ::clapping::
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie