Author Topic: My newest toy  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: My newest toy
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 09:25:10 PM »
Man, did I mention this thing has a really sweet trigger?  I read that S&W addressed some of the shortcomings with the M&P's trigger when they introduced the Shield, and that the changes were so positively received that they are now using the Shield's trigger in the rest of the M&P lineup.  My impression of the Shield is such that I am now interested in the other M&P models.  I was at the gun shop last week, and lo, there sat a full size M&P chambered in .45 Auto.  I briefly handled it, but I kept it deliberately brief otherwise there was too much risk of buying yet another gun -- this being the same day I bought the Serbian AK mentioned in the other thread.

The ergonomics of the M&P line are really just about perfect, and that full size .45 made a compelling argument for purchase.  I will no doubt be back there in a few weeks to trade some more fiat for one.  It occurred to me that I have never owned more than one .45, my SIG P220, and I should really add another to the collection.

If you're in the market for a semi-auto pistol definitely give the Smith & Wesson M&P series a look.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 06:46:28 AM »
You're not going to change your online persona to "Shield" are ya?   ;D

But, I can relate...often when I get a new plaything the euphoria can be intoxicating...

Jeez...we are talking about guns right?  One would almost assume...   ::hysterical::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 10:44:07 AM »
LOL, no I don't think I will be changing my user name or anything.  I still have a deep appreciation for the Glock design, and the G32 is still probably the most fun to shoot in my collection.  I couldn't think of another name when I first registered, so now I'm stuck with it :)
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 11:29:16 AM »
I figured as much.

Still, enjoy the new toy...

Making me itch for a newb of my own...

Glock 30S

A 1911 (Colt? Kimber?)

One them neat AKs like that Serbian model

Heck give me a few more minutes and I can add a half dozen more on my wish list!

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 05:31:53 PM »
Man, did I mention this thing has a really sweet trigger?  I read that S&W addressed some of the shortcomings with the M&P's trigger when they introduced the Shield, and that the changes were so positively received that they are now using the Shield's trigger in the rest of the M&P lineup.  My impression of the Shield is such that I am now interested in the other M&P models.  I was at the gun shop last week, and lo, there sat a full size M&P chambered in .45 Auto.  I briefly handled it, but I kept it deliberately brief otherwise there was too much risk of buying yet another gun -- this being the same day I bought the Serbian AK mentioned in the other thread.

The ergonomics of the M&P line are really just about perfect, and that full size .45 made a compelling argument for purchase.  I will no doubt be back there in a few weeks to trade some more fiat for one.  It occurred to me that I have never owned more than one .45, my SIG P220, and I should really add another to the collection.

If you're in the market for a semi-auto pistol definitely give the Smith & Wesson M&P series a look.

I can vouch for the M&P - it's a fine addition.

Offline Magnum

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 07:45:32 PM »

I have and carry a M and P 9mm with the 4.25 inch barrel. Awesome gun. I have bigger hands and long fingers so the largest size grip really makes the gun fit in my hand nicely.  I cannot say enough about it I have 500 -600 rounds through it with out a hiccup. When I finally got my left eye dominate/right hand dominate issues sorted out my accuracy improved greatly. The gun is way more accurate than me :D. I would not hesitate to buy this gun in the 45.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:15:56 PM by Magnum »
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 06:58:58 AM »
"When I finally got my left eye dominate/right hand dominate issues sorted out my accuracy improved greatly."

Sounds like my father.  He shoots right too but his left eye is dominate, so he has to do a quick sight of the target with the right eye and then he turns his head to align his left eye to aim.  Somehow it all works, as he hits center mass most times with his trusty S&W 3" 686, which is OK for a gent in his eighties.

Offline Magnum

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 04:38:03 PM »
Yeah Libertas it is kind of a pita but once you practice it becomes more natural.

Here is a video that has helped me, it is just as you Father does.

Cross-dominant Eye

My biggest problem however was shooting a rifle I just had alot of trouble........ patches, wearing glasses with a foggy left lens, etc none of it seemed to work well for me. I have just learned to shoot left handed, it has become so second nature that when I grab a rifle say at a gun shop I automatically now bring it up to my left eye without having to think about it. As a matter of fact I think the AR's are set up nicely for left handers the only drawback is once in a great while a spent cartridge will skim my right cheek.

Just curious how does your Dad shoot his rifle. Does he shoot it right handed?
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your GOD will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9