Author Topic: The latest book I've read  (Read 976 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
The latest book I've read
« on: March 06, 2014, 07:24:04 AM »
I just finished "The Hiding Place" by Carrie ten Boom.

http://www.amazon.com/Hiding-Place-Corrie-Ten-Boom-ebook/dp/B004TS1MGK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394111615&sr=8-1&keywords=the+hiding+place

Corrie ten Boom was a woman admired the world over for her courage, her forgiveness, and her memorable faith. In World War II, she and her family risked their lives to help Jews escape the Nazis, and their reward was a trip to Hitler's concentration camps. But she survived and was released--as a result of a clerical error--and now shares the story of how faith triumphs over evil.

For thirty-five years Corrie's dramatic life story, full of timeless virtues, has prepared readers to face their own futures with faith, relying on God's love to overcome, heal, and restore. Now releasing in a thirty-fifth anniversary edition for a new generation of readers, The Hiding Place tells the riveting story of how a middle-aged Dutch watchmaker became a heroine of the Resistance, a survivor of Hitler's death camps, and one of the most remarkable evangelists of the twentieth century.

This is one of the greatest books I've ever read. It, along side "Unbroken" shows me what a true Christian does. Carries sister, Betsie, was a role model. While Carrie would occasionally slip, it was Betsie who would show her the path.

The most difficult thing I've seen people do (in this book and Unbroken) is to forgive their tormentors. I try to live right, pray for strength, and try to be a good husband and father. But I'm afraid I fall way short in this department. When I see what the world is coming to, and the people that are the cause, I fail. Period. I'm really going to have to ask forgiveness.

I do recommend reading both books.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: The latest book I've read
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 08:36:22 AM »

The most difficult thing I've seen people do (in this book and Unbroken) is to forgive their tormentors. I try to live right, pray for strength, and try to be a good husband and father. But I'm afraid I fall way short in this department. When I see what the world is coming to, and the people that are the cause, I fail. Period. I'm really going to have to ask forgiveness.

I do recommend reading both books.

I am not the best Christian, nor  an expert on Christian theology in any sense,  but it was my understanding that even Christ's forgiveness requires repentance.   I therefore  feel no obligation to forgive anyone who is not genuinely  sorry that they have sinned or hurt others. Doing so is an act of "generosity"  that is counter-productive and simply enable more bad behavior - in the same way that welfare encourages people to not work. Granted, I don't have Christ's ability to see into men's hearts,  and forgiveness may be required for one's own sanity so they are not consumed by their desire for Justice, but  you don't need to forgive them in public to do that - only in your heart.