Author Topic: FBI returns to 9mm  (Read 883 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
FBI returns to 9mm
« on: December 15, 2014, 07:11:19 AM »
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: FBI returns to 9mm
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 07:25:31 AM »
Before reading this I know cost is going to have some say in the decision.

ETA - OK, after reading it there is the typical issue of how to metric the stopping power debate.  While I think there may be a difference between larger and smaller calibers, the advent of superior modern ammunition technology and relatively small variances between mass/velocity/energy offsetting each other in common calibers...I think if one gets hit by a .50cal out of a Desert Eagle vs a 9mm out of a Glock the wound would look totally different to a medical examiner, and feel much different to the victim, that is if they did not die right away.

And another statement that LEOs miss 70-80% both astounds me, and gives me an odd sense of relief.  They need the extra rounds "as a group", another case of applying the group to individuals where individuals are different in their skills and comfort.  That 9mm is lighter, has less recoil (but can still be snappy in smaller platforms) and they say their people are faster and more accurate with it, but where is the statistical data to back that up?

And I like how they give the "raging perp" reason again for more rounds vs less larger ones, then say shot placement counts...man, they want their cake and eat it too.  Once the raging perp is wounded, should be a bit slower, take good aim...I suggest right between the eyes...and ease the trigger back...

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 07:39:23 AM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.