Author Topic: Taiwan Power Failure  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Taiwan Power Failure
« on: August 16, 2017, 07:26:13 AM »
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/taiwan-suffers-massive-power-cut-affecting-millions-households-025330385--sector.html

Wonder if our friend Todd got caught in this?

Our grid isn't exactly free of structural issues....I think if people knew how vulnerable we really are generator sales and gas hoarding would be rampant...and gouging would be hideous as costs shot up...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Taiwan Power Failure
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 11:19:22 AM »
  When I read this stuff I have to admire Gunsmith for his ability to keel equipment running and for getting his hands on a surplus diesel generator.   Which is on my list of things to keep an eye out for.  Since I won't have natural gas in N.C. I have to think of other ways to keep the power running as long as possible.  No I haven't forgotten solar but there are limits to my abilities and funds.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 12:58:14 PM »
Since I won't have natural gas in N.C.....

The freaking gas line stops about 2 miles short of my house. ::pullhair::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 05:39:23 PM »
Since I won't have natural gas in N.C.....

The freaking gas line stops about 2 miles short of my house. ::pullhair::

Start organizing the neighbors and send a letter a week till you get it.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 07:54:28 PM »
I don't see why this is big world news.  Power went out before supper for about an hour and a half.  Came back on, turned on the TV news and they had details, saying rolling blackouts were in effect until the plant went back online.  Went out again from 9 to 9:45 and that was it. 

The only newsworthyness is that people remained civilized during the relatively brief blackout.  No looting, no trashed convenience stores and all liquor stores remained unlooted.

Why is because some guy pushed the wrong button, and shut off gas coming into a power plant, causing a complete shutdown.  DOH!  Because of a heat wave, the grid has been strained, with no room for a plant to go offline.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/ObservationsSummary.aspx?location=TWXX0024

At the very least I'll be in the US in September.  That kind of heat gets old.  And a record for the consecutive days about 36C, which is 97F.  On a nice note, my first two month power bill was only $110.  ::thumbsup::  My last Manila bill for a smaller place (but with inefficient window air units, as opposed to efficient inverter air, here) was $200 for one month.  Cheap power for the win.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:00:58 PM by ToddF »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 07:38:50 AM »
I don't see why this is big world news.  Power went out before supper for about an hour and a half.  Came back on, turned on the TV news and they had details, saying rolling blackouts were in effect until the plant went back online.  Went out again from 9 to 9:45 and that was it. 

The only newsworthyness is that people remained civilized during the relatively brief blackout.  No looting, no trashed convenience stores and all liquor stores remained unlooted.

Why is because some guy pushed the wrong button, and shut off gas coming into a power plant, causing a complete shutdown.  DOH!  Because of a heat wave, the grid has been strained, with no room for a plant to go offline.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/ObservationsSummary.aspx?location=TWXX0024

At the very least I'll be in the US in September.  That kind of heat gets old.  And a record for the consecutive days about 36C, which is 97F.  On a nice note, my first two month power bill was only $110.  ::thumbsup::  My last Manila bill for a smaller place (but with inefficient window air units, as opposed to efficient inverter air, here) was $200 for one month.  Cheap power for the win.

Well, that is different.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 12:23:39 PM »
Clearly Taiwan does not have enough enriching diversity.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 12:29:52 PM »
 ::laughonfloor::

Lucky bastards!

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 08:27:39 PM »

Just enough for leftist politicians to virtue signal on.  But they'll never dare open up movement to Islamic countries the way movement is open for me, a US citizen.  Other than a few Indonesian domestic helper types, I don't see Islamic garb, anywhere.   ::thumbsup::

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 08:54:51 PM »

Just enough for leftist politicians to virtue signal on.  But they'll never dare open up movement to Islamic countries the way movement is open for me, a US citizen.  Other than a few Indonesian domestic helper types, I don't see Islamic garb, anywhere.   ::thumbsup::

Oh?  Then the foot is in the door, innit.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 08:04:31 PM »
No country is Islam free.  The few here came from China, when Mao took over.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 08:59:32 PM »
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3235371

Well that is a timely article.

Barely hours after officials dismissed a terror threat to the Taipei 2017 Summer Universiade opening Saturday, a taekwondo trainer with family links to a terrorism suspect from an unidentified country would be kept out of Taiwan, reports said.

As opposed to America where that very biography will get you promoted to Hillary's number one assistant. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 12:10:43 PM »
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3235371

Well that is a timely article.

Barely hours after officials dismissed a terror threat to the Taipei 2017 Summer Universiade opening Saturday, a taekwondo trainer with family links to a terrorism suspect from an unidentified country would be kept out of Taiwan, reports said.

As opposed to America where that very biography will get you promoted to Hillary's number one assistant.

Ooouuch!  Low-blow!

Sure, it's dead on right, but dammit, that smarts!