Author Topic: It's called irony, Bob Costas  (Read 907 times)

Offline 21stCenturyThinker

• Newb
  • Renaissance Man- Don't Fear the Rebirth
It's called irony, Bob Costas
« on: December 09, 2012, 10:52:26 PM »
I know, it's almost too easy to point out Bob's flawed thinking but I feel compelled.

Another Sunday Night Football Game, another halftime commentary by Bob Costas. For the second week in a row a football player's bad choices ended in death and tragedy. The irony is that the two sets of events came only a week apart and had different roots but nearly identical results. One football player killed his girlfriend, another football player killed his best friend. In neither case was the football player the victim- in both cases it was his bad decision that led to the death.

Seems like Bob Costas should have had a very similar reaction to both events. As I watched his halftime monologue, I kept waiting for Bob Costas to blame alcohol for taking the life of Jerry Brown of the Dallas Cowboys. I anticipated a rant in which Costas called for the banning of alcoholic drinks. Didn't come.

Remember Bob's message when Jovan Belcher shot himself and his girlfriend? Bob told us that the gun was to blame. If Jovan Belcher hadn't possessed a gun, everything would have turned out just peachy. The "gun culture" in America was responsible for the deaths of those two innocents. Americans cannot be trusted with guns and they should be banned.

Oddly, alcohol didn't take the blame this week. There was no misty-eyed staring into the camera with a call for Americans to wake up and get prohibition back into the constitution. In fact, Bob couldn't wait to throw the subject over to Tony Dungy. Hey, Tony; what are coaches doing to prevent drunk drivers? Well, gee Bob, we do lots of stuff... blah, blah, blah

The Bob Costas Big Truth of the Week? Don't blame the NFL for its players killing themselves by driving drunk. Not the NFL's fault. Uh uh, no way.

So why was there such a different response to two events that were obviously so similar? The elections have been done for a month, so I feel the need to try to get inside the head of the liberal leftist again. And it's some of you that I think pointed me to the answer, back when we discussed the election.

With Bob and the leftists it's not about truth or justice, liberty or personal accountability, independence or American values. It's about control. Government control.

Anyone who legally carries a weapon has made a conscious decision take responsibility for their own life, safety and health. They have decided not to hide in the toilet when a teenager with a gun enters the building. They won't run out the back door of their house when a burglar breaks in the front door. They won't stampede in the movie theater , hoping to use others as human shields while escaping from a "gunman". They have elected not to panic.

The liberals can't handle that independence. In their thinking we should all be drones and we should recognize that the queen bee will decide what's best for the hive. There's no room for independent thought (or entrepreneurial spirit) in a beehive or an ant colony.

Alcohol abuse is almost exactly the opposite of gun ownership. Bob doesn't mind drunk drivers killing themselves because he knows that alcohol is a tremendous tool for controlling the population. Giving hard liquor to the American Indians immediately springs to mind.

Don't get me wrong: I'm not condemning social drinking. It can be a great lubricant to prevent friction building up in your personal life. But it's an indulgence, not a right. Like smoking a good cigar in the sense that the constitution doesn't guarantee your right to do it.

As an American, you are guaranteed the RIGHT to bear arms. You are required by law to use that power responsibly and properly.

But for God's Sake, please don't get drunk and shoot somebody. Especially if you play in the NFL. I can't take another week of Bob Costas' preaching at me.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
Re: It's called irony, Bob Costas
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 11:04:41 PM »
Good post. My only minor quibble is that, yes, in fact we are guaranteed the right to smoke a cigar. It needn't be enumerated by the Constitution. In fact, the Constitution says exactly that in the 9th Amendment. The assumption is that all powers not expressly delegated to the Feral government are held by the people and the states, and that just because the Constitution remains silent on something doesn't mean that something isn't the rightful prerogative of the citizen.

But I know what you meant :)
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: It's called irony, Bob Costas
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 06:57:29 AM »
What G said!   ::thumbsup::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.