Author Topic: 40 or 45  (Read 5020 times)

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
40 or 45
« on: February 15, 2013, 08:29:58 PM »
Checked with the local gun shop today about a Hi Point pistol today.

He sold the last 40 and 9mm last Saturday just before I got there.
Left my number for him to call when he picked up some more

When I called him, he had a 45 but no 40

Would you get that one while the getting is good or wait for a 40?
Ammo is a little cheaper for the 40, but in my head, the 45 is more certain of results if you hit something

Any thoughts?

I'm thinking of heading up in the AM to get the 45

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Re: 40 or 45
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 08:31:59 PM »
The Hi Point is such an inexpensive gun that I don't see any problem with taking the 45 now and getting something else later.

If you want a 40, I can probably find one where I live but it will not be a Hi Point. I personally favor the 40 because of the high capacity mags. I just like having 16 or so rounds in the gun at a time and for that I am willing to sacrifice the slightly better knock down capability of the 45.

One of these days I will get a 1911 in 45 but it will be a while. Right now I have other spending priorities when it comes to firearms...namely, acquiring a few more thousand rounds of the ammunition that I use. And customizing my AR15. And building an AK47. After that I will get the 1911.

But like I said, if you want a 40 and can pay the higher price of a non-Hi Point pistol I can almost certainly find one in my area so let me know if I can help in that regard.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 08:37:57 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 08:39:21 PM »
The Hi Point is such an inexpensive gun that I don't see any problem with taking the 45 now and getting something else later.

If you want a 40, I can probably find one where I live but it will not be a Hi Point. I personally favor the 40 because of the high capacity mags. I just like having 16 or so rounds in the gun at a time and for that I am willing to sacrifice the slightly better knock down capability of the 45.

One of these days I will get a 1911 in 45 but it will be a while. Right now I have other spending priorities when it comes to firearms...namely, acquiring a few more thousand rounds of the ammunition that I use. And customizing my AR15. And building an AK47. After that I will get the 1911.

But like I said, if you want a 40 and can pay the higher price of a non-Hi Point pistol I can almost certainly find one in my area so let me know if I can help in that regard.

Good advice, buy it TODAY
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 09:20:23 PM »
Definitely, get the 45 while you can. 45 has been planting bad guys since 1905, its track record is no way in doubt!
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:39:36 PM »
Thanks everyone and, especially, Libertas for the generous offer.

I was thinking the bird in the hand was worth going for

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 10:48:30 PM »
Thanks everyone and, especially, Libertas for the generous offer.

I was thinking the bird in the hand was worth going for

I'm guessing you meant me and you are welcome. Yep, go for it. I'm also guessing that pistol is just under $200. Cheap and not a particularly elegant weapon but still effective and that's what counts.

Some unsolicited advice:
I would probably break it in with quite a few practice rounds to boost my confidence in the gun and also to become very familiar with how it operates. And then the usual stuff...field strip and clean. And then repeat. A lot.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:53:52 PM by trapeze »
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 10:58:27 PM »
Not too much; ammo's hard to come by.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 11:18:31 PM »
I apologize Trap
Thank you

The 45 is $175

I'm sorry, Pan but I didn't understand

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 11:45:12 PM »
She's saying that you shouldn't practice too much because of the rising price of ammo. And it is a shame and a disgrace that this is true.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 01:17:11 AM »
The scarcity of ammo has kept me from the range for weeks. I don't want to deplete my ammunition now only to find out later that it's unavailable.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 03:01:32 AM »
She's saying that you shouldn't practice too much because of the rising price of ammo. And it is a shame and a disgrace that this is true.

Yes, on both counts.  Sorry I wasn't clearer, AP.

The scarcity of ammo has kept me from the range for weeks. I don't want to deplete my ammunition now only to find out later that it's unavailable.

Again, precisely.  However, it's gotten so after a couple/three mags and I'm making good groups where I want 'em, I get bored, so range-time has been an abbreviated experience.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 09:00:48 AM »
...it's gotten so after a couple/three mags and I'm making good groups where I want 'em...

Speaking of good groups... Mrs. IDP has a Ruger Mark III .22LR target pistol. Anybody else have experience with that gun?

It's clunky, barrel-heavy, PITA to disassemble and even more of a PITA to reassemble, and definitely not for concealment, but man, what a smooth shooting gun. It has almost no noticeable recoil at all, as the heavy barrel keeps things so perfectly balanced. On several occasions I've put 10 rounds inside the bullseye at 21 feet, and Mrs. IDP has done so a time or two as well. That gun makes me feel like a dead-eye.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 09:08:50 AM »
Wonder if the Browning Buckmark is any less a PITA?  Have no experience with either one though.

Can you shoot subsonic rounds through those?  Might make a nicer discrete option for certain applications.

Anyway, expect to see a lot of HiPoints, going out to the local gun show, see if any catches my eye. . .

PS-Ditto on .45 comments.

Haven't got a 1911 yet, maybe I'll find a nice one at the show.   :supercool:
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 10:16:25 AM »
I have a Browning Buckmark and it is pretty easy to maintain. It's a fun pistol to shoot. It will function with subsonic rounds but they're still pretty loud out of a pistol. Out of a rifle they're noticeably quieter.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 11:07:58 AM »
I grabbed the 45 today.
Told him to call me as soon as he gets a 9mm Hi Point

They had a real nice little Ruger 380
Thought a little bit about it but passed today

I have to work this into the system.
Wife won't approve

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 11:19:10 AM »
Good on you AP.

As for rounds, acquire a stockpile, when you practice buy what they have at the range even if it is more expensive, that way your stash stays intact.  (Or buy a bulk order of range shots when they are available and draw from it, whatever you have to do)

Didn't see much at the gun show for 1911's, couple anniversary issues with a premium, nothing like a Rem R1 or anything, might have to get that elsewhere.  Would like to get one without filing out more paperwork but the bastages know me well enough by now.  Got a leather holster for the G21, it will do in a pinch till I find something better.  It was too crowded, I miss the old days where I could roam the aisles unmolested and not feeling like a salmon off to spawn (or in my case just die)...

::)

Oh well, got my carcass out of the house for a couple hours anyway.

Time to hit the garage, fire up the space heater and stereo and light up a Fuente and suck down some Shiner bock.

All in all not a bad day.   ;D

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2013, 11:35:06 AM »
...it's gotten so after a couple/three mags and I'm making good groups where I want 'em...

Speaking of good groups... Mrs. IDP has a Ruger Mark III .22LR target pistol. Anybody else have experience with that gun?

It's clunky, barrel-heavy, PITA to disassemble and even more of a PITA to reassemble, and definitely not for concealment, but man, what a smooth shooting gun. It has almost no noticeable recoil at all, as the heavy barrel keeps things so perfectly balanced. On several occasions I've put 10 rounds inside the bullseye at 21 feet, and Mrs. IDP has done so a time or two as well. That gun makes me feel like a dead-eye.

I HAD a stainless one with a 6" barrel. Loved it. Once you take it apart and learn the intricacies of re-assembly, it's not bad. My problem was the time between shoots, I forgot them.

I spent 30 minutes at the range one day trying to mine and my son's back together. Gave up and came home. Got them both together in less than 5 minutes at home. ::bashing::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2013, 11:53:03 AM »
I grabbed the 45 today.
Told him to call me as soon as he gets a 9mm Hi Point

They had a real nice little Ruger 380
Thought a little bit about it but passed today

I have to work this into the system.
Wife won't approve

*sigh* I need a better carry gun and that's the one I want.  But without paper.

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2013, 01:04:48 PM »
*sigh* I need a better carry gun and that's the one I want.  But without paper.

Me too.
I have been really, really reluctant to buy a gun.

As deficient as my "arsenal" is (was, before the horrible boating accident), it was like a mexican in California.
Undocumented.

I am now a blip on the radar.

I would be nervous about it, but have considered the possibility of finding an undocumented untraceable one

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 01:31:53 PM »
Maybe we can work some kinda trade?   ::whatgives::

Somebody find me a 1911, I find somebody something else, if we can't avoid the paper maybe muck it up a bit.