Author Topic: Inspiration  (Read 768 times)

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
Inspiration
« on: October 03, 2013, 04:47:31 AM »
I love the concept of Self-Mastery. And without writing an essay, humanity & culture pursue any amount of distractions-hopes-dreams-pleasures-aims-etc...all seeking "freedom". But those pursuits generally enslave. They would be the same to argue that "religion" is a trap & that they seek "freedom" to think-act-do on their own. But a relationship with your maker is, IMO, true freedom & allows for spiritual maturity to see through the traps of worldly distractions & snares.

That said, this is an interesting insight from Steven Pressfield:

* & ** (AM devotionals spoke to this same theme...I love serendipity)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:01:48 AM by Pablo de Fleurs »
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline ChrstnHsbndFthr

• Established Member
    • Affordable Bail Bonds of NC, LLC
Re: Inspiration
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 06:44:01 AM »
Good post. There are certainly politicians who think we are too stupid to govern ourselves. My fear is that for many of us they may be right.  And the politicians have been working for some time now to make those who cannot govern themselves a majority.
“My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together.

“However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other.”
Phil Robertson an elder in the church of Christ

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Inspiration
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 07:06:39 AM »
John Adams knew this basic truth as well.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

For a brief moment in human history, the concept of self-mastery was manifest in a government created by Godly men. The challenges of a new nation, and the devastation of civil war, kept us on a self-governing trajectory.

It seems as if any remnant of the concept is now almost wholly driven by inertia, compelled by stubborn folks like us.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson