Author Topic: "Moms' Night Out" movie review  (Read 674 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"Moms' Night Out" movie review
« on: May 14, 2014, 07:24:04 PM »
Haven't seen it, but now I want to.  Which is rare for me ........

Moms’ Night Out (PG) is a feel-good comedy about a harried young mother who just needs a little time away. It offers no hot superstars — unless you count Samwise Gamgee and “Everybody Loves Raymond’s” wife in supporting roles. (Granted, Sarah Drew played the Christian doctor on “Grey’s Anatomy,” but that’s not silver screen, and virgins are so not hot in Hollywood.)

The movie was shot in the glamorous state of Alabama, around Birmingham. Rotten Tomatoes says the critics find it “cheap-looking, unfunny and kind of sexist to boot…a disappointment from start to finish.” Despite the critics wisdom, 85% of the audience liked it. Why?

In a word: relatability.

Ok, I’m pretty sure that’s not a word, but it’s a thing.

For the vast majority of Americans, traditional family life connects. Unlike the typical Hollywood production, this film features husbands who faithfully love their wives, women who love to be mothers, people who attend church regularly (not just show up in an empty darkened sanctuary when they’re suicidal, on the lam or searching for Knights Templar treasure). As a bonus, it includes characters who can speak without cursing and cope without drinking.

http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2014/05/14/when-moms-give-spider-man-a-spanking/?singlepage=true
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: "Moms' Night Out" movie review
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 08:16:30 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, this is an Alex Kendrick movie - the same fella that produced "Facing the Giants", "Fireproof", and "Courageous".

Nice to see that his modest success with this genre has enabled him to hire some name star power. I'll definitely see it.

ETA: Nope, I'm wrong. Kendrick is only acting in this film, not producing or directing. So, I suppose it's still nice to see that his modest success with this genre has placed him on the radar of others with access to name star power. I'll still definitely see it.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 12:24:32 AM »
I'll have to add this to the wife and I's list.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 06:44:49 AM »
If the typical libiot critics hate it then it must be good.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.