Author Topic: Fed researchers urge older adults to aim for much lower blood pressure  (Read 1471 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
The new research advises people with high blood pressure to keep their “systolic” pressure — the top number in the reading that health-care providers routinely tell patients — at 120 or below.

Clinical guidelines have commonly called for systolic blood pressure of 140 for healthy adults and 130 for adults with kidney disease or diabetes.

Physicians have complained that there was no clear evidence for any specific standard on systolic blood pressure, compelling them to decide on their own how aggressive to be in treating the condition. Now there is a number, and it is significantly lower than the current targets.

... The research, primarily sponsored by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, showed that using medication to keep systolic blood pressure at 120 or below reduced the rate of heart attacks, strokes and heart failure by a third and the risk of death by almost 25 percent, compared with keeping it at 140.

... About 70 million U.S. adults — nearly 1 in 3 — have high blood pressure, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Right.  And we can expect that statistic to rocket in the near future -- "A high blood pressure epidemic.

... That doesn’t mean that doctors will suddenly begin prescribing blood pressure medication to everyone older than 50 with systolic pressure above 120, according to experts. *

... Even if a lower blood pressure is recommended for a patient, physicians will make individual decisions for each person that include consideration of age and health and the possible impact of lifestyle changes and medications, experts said.  **

*  The hell they won't. 

**  Too many are still pushing "cut the salt" on normal, healthy adults.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Fed researchers urge older adults to aim for much lower blood pressure
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 09:44:07 AM »
The new research advises people with high blood pressure to keep their “systolic” pressure — the top number in the reading that health-care providers routinely tell patients — at 120 or below.

Clinical guidelines have commonly called for systolic blood pressure of 140 for healthy adults and 130 for adults with kidney disease or diabetes.

Physicians have complained that there was no clear evidence for any specific standard on systolic blood pressure, compelling them to decide on their own how aggressive to be in treating the condition. Now there is a number, and it is significantly lower than the current targets.

... The research, primarily sponsored by the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, showed that using medication to keep systolic blood pressure at 120 or below reduced the rate of heart attacks, strokes and heart failure by a third and the risk of death by almost 25 percent, compared with keeping it at 140.

... About 70 million U.S. adults — nearly 1 in 3 — have high blood pressure, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Right.  And we can expect that statistic to rocket in the near future -- "A high blood pressure epidemic.

... That doesn’t mean that doctors will suddenly begin prescribing blood pressure medication to everyone older than 50 with systolic pressure above 120, according to experts. *

... Even if a lower blood pressure is recommended for a patient, physicians will make individual decisions for each person that include consideration of age and health and the possible impact of lifestyle changes and medications, experts said.  **

*  The hell they won't. 

**  Too many are still pushing "cut the salt" on normal, healthy adults.

The prog way. There's no evidence, but we'll do it anyway.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 01:46:52 PM »
Well, now, due to this study OF ADULTS WITH KIDNEY DISEASE OR DIABETES, there is evidence.  Trouble is, I have found with doctors, only some of the information trickles down to them, resulting in a general "prescription" to apply broadly.

I betcha this time next year, people who today have "normal" BP are going to find themselves badgered by their MDs over this, too, like with cholesterol.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 06:57:15 PM »
We'll see if the blood pressure meds they push are the generic ones that have been around for decades, or new fangled pills that are not surprisingly still on patent.  You know pharma is getting something out of this.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 11:08:39 AM »
Just like cholesterol, I flat out tell my doc " no meds".  Don't like it? Tough sh*t!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 08:36:25 AM »
Just like cholesterol, I flat out tell my doc " no meds".  Don't like it? Tough sh*t!

Mine still hasn't reached quadruple digits, so I'm good.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 09:47:48 AM »

Mine still hasn't reached quadruple digits, so I'm good.

I'm borderline.

OK, cue the one-liners.  :)
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 09:55:49 AM »
Bwaha.