Author Topic: Chris Cornell, 52  (Read 3837 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Chris Cornell, 52
« on: May 18, 2017, 07:47:43 AM »
http://www.startribune.com/representative-rocker-chris-cornell-has-died-at-age-52/422914833/

Not a huge fan but I liked some Soundgarden tracks.  At 52 you suspect the usual - drugs, booze...undisclosed heart ailment or something...possible suicide though is a sad end.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Chris Cornell, 52
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »
Loved Soundgarden's body of work in the studio, but I saw them live 3 times, and Cornell couldn't sing his way out of a paper bag in concert. Rest In Peace.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 02:52:43 PM »
Wow, almost all the old Seattle grunge bands have had members die now.  I think Pearl Jam is the only one that hasn't.  Alice in Chains was my favorite from that era.  I am starting to feel old.

RIP Chris.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 05:17:44 PM »
  reports are that he killed his self.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 09:20:49 PM »
Losing the next generation, now.  RIP.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 07:04:05 AM »
Apparently hung himself.  Not good.  Obviously some issues there...not sure if people tried to reach out to him if they knew he was troubled or if he was incapable of accepting their assistance or advice...

Sad.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 10:18:04 AM »
His wife said there was zero indication that there was anything amiss with him at all.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 11:18:18 AM »
Interesting.

I thought I heard he (they) were going to a venue in Ohio or something...I find it hard to believe somebody didn't know something...other bandmates, roadies, handlers...

Would suck to die in Detroit under any circumstances...

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 11:22:19 AM »
... Now a day later, his wife is saying that she spoke to him on the phone before they found him dead, and he was slurring his speech and told her he took and extra prescription tranquilizer or two. She was alarmed and asked hotel security to check on him, and they found him dead.

I'm guessing her initial report of "nothing indicated suicide when we spoke" was just her in disbelief - not wanting the explanation to lead where it did.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 12:17:25 PM »
Yeah...I see that now...

http://www.startribune.com/family-of-musician-chris-cornell-disputes-he-killed-himself/423142543/

...the news on this is taking a lot of weird turns...

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 01:10:30 PM »
By the family "disputing" that he killed himself, what they're saying essentially is the drugs did it to him because he would NEVER kill himself.

I don't mean to be cold, but it doesn't work that way. That's rationalization on steroids. You can't claim a man who hung himself by the neck didn't commit suicide just because he was high on drugs when he did it. That may well be the sole reason that he did it, and he still did it.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 03:18:36 PM »
Agreed.

That kind of doublespeak isn't helpful, and that attitude certainly didn't help Chris at all, did it?  What's their next dumb move?  Blame the hotel?  Sue the hotel?

Once again the concept of personal responsibility is relegated to unimportant status...by victim and survivors.

Another cold observation...perhaps this is why family wasn't a very good support structure to begin with...some issues there I think.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 03:41:20 PM »
Re; the wife's assertion that he may have been influenced to hang himself by taking too much anti-anxiety medication... I can't pretend to know what it's like to need mood-altering medication to cope with life. But I can say that it seems there is something deeply wrong when doctors are prescribing anti-anxiety medication for which one of the listed side-effects is "suicidal thoughts".

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 07:25:38 PM »
It's just the family warming up the waters to cash in on Cornell's death with the inevitable lawsuit.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 06:19:29 PM »
Agreed.

That kind of doublespeak isn't helpful, and that attitude certainly didn't help Chris at all, did it?  What's their next dumb move?  Blame the hotel?  Sue the hotel?

Once again the concept of personal responsibility is relegated to unimportant status...by victim and survivors.

Another cold observation...perhaps this is why family wasn't a very good support structure to begin with...some issues there I think.

I don't know Libertas - there's nothing like living through such an experience (or not) to test your confidence that you are really in touch with and capable of navigating the nuances and intricacies of mental illness manifested in yourself (much less others)...

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 07:26:15 AM »
Agreed.

I don't know Libertas - there's nothing like living through such an experience (or not) to test your confidence that you are really in touch with and capable of navigating the nuances and intricacies of mental illness manifested in yourself (much less others)...

Yeah, I get what you are saying...I am usually the one who says not all cases are equal, circumstances can vary as not all people are the same...certainly not all people are like me or you...and I recognize I may have violated my own truism.  I guess we don't really know...but I found the family's response odd...and I fear Todd might be right, the litigious and legacy-centric forces may be coming into play...and I know IDP is right, too often happy pills are dispensed to people and they often just mask issues and treat the symptom and offer no cure.  I have seen it first-hand myself...once people are weened off those damn things...and their sh*t just boils over again.  Mental issues are hard to deal with...people handle things differently and with varying degrees of ability...professionals over-diagnose/prescribe or under-diagnose/treat...and families and friends impact positive or negative.  It has always been my opinion that ones likelihood of navigating issues is directly related to the level of their inner-strength no matter what other external forces are doing...the weaker ones having survived getting lucky with their support systems.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 10:41:41 AM »
Obviously I'm no doctor. But I would guess and strongly believe that there are a whole lotta people who are on prescription mood altering drugs whose problems could be as aptly dealt with by a weekly walk alone in the forest, or sitting below a waterfall, just thinking. I don't intend to dismiss or minimize mental illness, or to suggest that there is no place for pharmaceutical treatments. Only that our society is quick to seek and offer pharmaceuticals, and I just don't think it's warranted in X% of cases.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 11:10:38 AM »
Absolutely agree.  The hippie generation probably helped move things to the "there's a pill for that" mentality.

Everybody is talking opioids now...hardly anybody talking about antidepressants.  There are herds of them:

https://www.drugs.com/drug-class/miscellaneous-antidepressants.html

https://www.drugs.com/drug-class/monoamine-oxidase-inhibitors.html

https://www.drugs.com/drug-class/phenylpiperazine-antidepressants.html

https://www.drugs.com/drug-class/ssri-antidepressants.html

https://www.drugs.com/drug-class/ssnri-antidepressants.html

https://www.drugs.com/drug-class/tetracyclic-antidepressants.html

https://www.drugs.com/drug-class/tricyclic-antidepressants.html

Were people less troubled in the past than now?  Doubtful.  There are just more people.  And people in earlier times, while day to day life was harder, things were simpler in a basic processing sense.  The advent of new technology and plethora of goofy theories and the quick-fix let-somebody-else-deal-with-it mentality doesn't help.

Plus, there is some crappy "professional" help out there.  I don't give a pot of piss for a pop-culture sociologist or their loosely related mental health kinfolk in the psychology ranks...a psychiatrist with a Judeo-Christian background and an approach on correcting bad tinking and behavior over writing prescriptions and a person has a chance.

I dated a crazy girl once (OK, one of many crazies, I admit)...who had a big breakdown after I broke loose...made several stupendously stupid decisions...got the usual mainstream pop-culture psychobabble help...that failed to address her underlying psychosis and instead did the "none of that was your fault" BS and oh, here's your pill.

No surprise, still a complete basket case and living in a reality where nothing will ever be her fault...wow, super healthy, huh?
 ::facepalm::

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 05:45:15 PM »
Obviously I'm no doctor. But I would guess and strongly believe that there are a whole lotta people who are on prescription mood altering drugs whose problems could be as aptly dealt with by a weekly walk alone in the forest, or sitting below a waterfall, just thinking. I don't intend to dismiss or minimize mental illness, or to suggest that there is no place for pharmaceutical treatments. Only that our society is quick to seek and offer pharmaceuticals, and I just don't think it's warranted in X% of cases.

When I was 13, a friend suggested Cross Country in High School. I'm 57 now & have worked out (calisthenics, mostly a few light weights) and am still running (down to 3 x a week due to aging knees) - ever since.

Anyone who runs knows it's a sport tailor-made for thinking (meditation in motion). About the only drugs I take is a giant, green, generic nighttime flu pill during the winter months whenever I've been around large crowds of people & where hand-shaking is a necessity.

For many years I paid the price of exercise. Now, still able to wear sports jackets from 30 years ago...I'm enjoying the price. The discipline is transferable to other endeavors (marriage, Bible study, parenting, leading men's groups, etc) e.g. #JustDoIt.

Besides...there's a l-o-n-g list of folks I'd want to kill first...prior to any contemplation of suicide.  ;)
2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 06:51:13 AM »
Heh!  I like that last bit.  It's always good closing on a high note.   :D