Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 53164 times)

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #920 on: October 05, 2017, 10:33:34 PM »
"Superheroes are constructs we create or embrace as a way to cope with feelings of powerlessness in a world where our phones give us godlike omniscience and moral centers are increasingly hard to find. - Abraham Riesman writing for Vulture
http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/the-tick-amazon-tvs-smartest-superhero-satire.html

Another thing worth watching is Amazon's original The Tick, with the original Creator Ben Edlund at the helm.  Even if you haven't ever been exposed to the Tick ( (The old Animation show  is HILARIOUS. The 2000 live action version, not so much )  You already know Ben. Ben wrote the song the  Hero of Canton. and most of the Jaynestown episode of Firefly. He also wrote the episode "Trash". He worked with Joss Whedon on Titan A.E, Angel and Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog ( Bad Horse and Moist were his ideas)

I liked the new reboot ( 6 episodes available now, 6 more in January) and its striking the right cord with me. The Tick is a big friendly, nigh indestructible,  Labrador of a guy and just as smart - but moral, loyal and very clear on  the distinction between good vs. evil. His vocabulary is awesome, but he has no clue how to use it and the mixed metaphors that  result will have you rolling ( Mano-a-Manomyth...)  Seriuously Ben can write this dialog in a way you never see it coming and its always funny.

Arthur, his sidekick, is anything but super, but is needed as the brains of the outfit. The Criminals are outrageous, and if the first 6 episodes are any indication they are off to a strong start. 

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #921 on: November 06, 2017, 03:56:07 PM »

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #922 on: November 18, 2017, 10:10:56 PM »
Funimation just paid for itself again.. They are "simul-dubbing" Space Battleship Yamato.. which means they are providing

1) every week for the nest 24 weeks a new Dubbed show to watch - no subtitles.
2) A legal way to watch Space Battle Ship Yamato in America

So far I think they are doing an excellent job. This is in my tp 3 all time favorite anime series. These aren't the exact voices I would have picked, but I'll get used to them eventually. This is the remake of Star Blazers which if you were a kid in the 70's and 80's you might remember watching before or after school.  There is a huge amount of CGI in this which makes it stunning, but they did a really good job of integrating the CGI with the animation so it isn't jarring or odd. Just a delight to watch.

https://www.funimation.com/shows/star-blazers/

You should be able to watch without paying as long as you sit through the commercials.. but I think they keep you a week behind.. Or they might tease you with the first 2-3 episodes for free and then  ask you to subscribe. Its $6 a month, but if you like anime and hate subtitles this is the place for you..

They have a bunch of newer  popular anime like Attack on Titan, Claymore, code Geass, erased, ergo proxy, fairy tail ( which I couldn't get into but others love), Ghost in the shell, My Hero Academia, Kings Game , Mush-shi, Noein, Noragami, One Piece, Psycho-pass, Steins;Gate , Gintama

and classics like  Mobile suit Gundam, Appleseed, bubblegum crisis, cowboy bebop

And those are just the ones that caught my eye browsing in the catalog.

Yeah I know. Cartoons.  Pretend you are watching some Disney thing..

A lot of them have very complicated and  intricate story lines. They are often telling a single story - over an arc of 13-26 episodes, and the stories are wonderfully cohesive, often getting better on a second viewing because of all of the foreshadowed crap you missed the first time -- because the stories are written and then made vs being written episode by episode like Hollywood likes to do
Some Anime is crap. Some is good. Some is really, really, "you can't seriously expect me to stop watching now, just one more episode" good.  Both Yamato and Steins;Gate are worth the price of admission here. ( though you can't binge watch Yamato till sometime next May)

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #923 on: November 18, 2017, 10:18:01 PM »
Oh and stranger things season 2 is out in case anyone missed it.  Different than season 1, but I still liked it.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #924 on: November 19, 2017, 10:37:57 AM »
Munched up all of Season Two already and it was good.

There are new episodes, and the last -- I think it's officially canceled now - of Longmire.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #925 on: November 19, 2017, 11:11:36 AM »
Yay, love Longmire!
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson