Author Topic: Ships and boats (of course)  (Read 4197 times)

Offline OldSailor

• The world is sick and getting sicker.
Ships and boats (of course)
« on: October 03, 2013, 06:40:54 PM »
I build and run radio control model ships and boats.  Some are kits, some not so much.  My latest is the PT-73, but not the one you might remember from "McHale's Navy."

The nearer boat is a Higgins 78 foot PT 71 class boat, the real 73 probably appeared very similar to this in its original factory fitting. The other boat is an ELCO 80 foot PT, PT 109 in the same scale as my 73, built and owned by a buddy of mine.  Both are just under 3 feet long and run like scalded cats.

The "PT 73" used in the series McHale's Navy started life as a Brit Vosper torpedo boat. The special effects guys did an okay job with her but she looked nothing like either a Higgins or ELCO built boat.

The real world PT 73 served (I think) in Panama and the Aleutians, ending up in the South Pacific.  I believe she was wrecked by grounding and then burned to keep her out of Japanese hands sometime in 1943.

Some of my others include WWII heavy cruiser USS Indianapolis, sunk right at the end of WWII and 2 Fletcher class tincans (destroyers to you land lubbers.)

USS Indianapolis as she appeared just before her sinking.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 05:38:38 AM by OldSailor »
"In it's most basic form the right to keep and bear arms is nothing less than the right to maintain the means of one's own self-defense. If a man chooses not to arm himself, that is his choice and right. It is NOT his right to force his choice upon me." - Me

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: Ships and boats (of course)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 06:52:48 PM »
Nice.

How do you store them?
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 07:32:18 PM »
That looks like a fun hobby. Are the motors gas? Battery? Glow fuel?

I've often thought about model remote control airplanes. When it comes down to it, I just have always had other priorities *ahem* fishing *ahem*
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline OldSailor

• The world is sick and getting sicker.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 05:45:58 AM »
The cruiser and PT boat are on display on shelves in my living room.  The rest are upstairs in my work room being repaired or modified as I make time.

Mine are all battery powered though the group I run with has a couple of steam powered boats (good runners too) and a number of sail boats.  The lake we run in doesn't allow gas powered boats though some of the electric racers hit speeds of 40 to 50 mph.

I prefer scale models, primarily military though I have an old wooden cabin cruiser that I'm trying to refurbish and a large ocean tug that I use for rescue work when other boats break down in the middle of the lake.
"In it's most basic form the right to keep and bear arms is nothing less than the right to maintain the means of one's own self-defense. If a man chooses not to arm himself, that is his choice and right. It is NOT his right to force his choice upon me." - Me