Author Topic: BMG's Roast Paste  (Read 1609 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
BMG's Roast Paste
« on: October 13, 2011, 07:28:13 PM »
This paste came about by accident (hence the name; Serendipity).

I was in the kitchen experimenting with a dry seasoning mixture that I intended to use on roasted potatoes that I was trying to develop (the potatoes were to be coated in the oil and then shaken in a bag with the spice mix). At one point I got called away to tend to something else and asked my Wife to finish mixing the stuff together that I had written down on the list. I had forgotten that I had olive oil written on that list and when I got back, she had faithfully mixed all the dry ingredients with the olive oil. Discouraged, I put the container in the fridge and left the project alone to tend to other business. The next day I re-discovered my 'failed' project and found that what I had was thick, red paste. Eventually I decided it would be a real waste to just throw away all those spices and cheese and thought it might be interesting to try it as a meat treatment. This is the result.

Enjoy!

BMG

Serendipity Paste (good with beef, pork, lamb)

4 1/2 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (iodized table salt)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper or cayenne pepper (optional)
A couple pinches of kosher salt

The above paste will season a 2lb roast.

Directions:

1) Mix all dry ingredients together, then mix in the oil to form a paste.
2) Make several 1 inch deep slits along the entire length of your roast - about 1 inch long and spaced about 1 inch apart.
3) Lightly salt both sides of the roast with kosher salt and let rest for about ten minutes.
4) Brown both sides of the roast either in a skillet with some olive oil or under the broiler.
5) Using a rubber spatula, spread the paste over the incised side of your roast, being sure to pack the incisions liberally.
6) Cook the roast to your desired doneness in a tightly lidded roasting pan - serve with drippings on the side and bread for dipping.

I have also made this with a larger round roast (not a flat one like a london broil). Instead of cutting the above-described slits, I formed a pocket in the center of the roast by making a incision that goes from one side of the roast all the way to the center and that extends from about one inch from either end. I then packed that pocket with the paste and closed it with wooden toothpicks. Place the roast in the roasting pan, slit side up and cook it to your desired doneness.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Re: BMG's Roast Paste
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 08:41:54 PM »
I've never used this on a roast but I have used something similar on potatoes. so good
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 08:55:49 PM »
Right you are LV! The dry mix of spices is great on potatoes. Just mix all the ingredients as listed and toss the diced potatoes in olive oil...then toss them in the spice mix...then bake them till they're done. Good stuff!

I had tried this same recipe/technique on turnips too btw - the spice mix was great and at first I thought that the recipe was good! But after a few bites I found that well, I don't like turnips at all. lol
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 09:02:19 PM »
Right you are LV! The dry mix of spices is great on potatoes. Just mix all the ingredients as listed and toss the diced potatoes in olive oil...then toss them in the spice mix...then bake them till they're done. Good stuff!

I had tried this same recipe/technique on turnips too btw - the spice mix was great and at first I thought that the recipe was good! But after a few bites I found that well, I don't like turnips at all. lol

oh, man I was hoping you were going to say it was good on turnips.  I end up with a few turnips every year from someone's garden and I usually hide them in soup
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 09:17:56 PM »
If you happen to like turnips you should give it a try - you may like this. But the smell was awful when they were roasting (I cut them up just like I would have a potato). And that smell pretty much transferred to the taste. It wasn't the spice that was bad on the turnip - it was just that turnips are terrible! lol To me at least.  ;D

Now my Sister loves turnips. I have no idea why...
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus