Author Topic: Another retarded idea from the Head Retard  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Another retarded idea from the Head Retard
« on: January 09, 2015, 07:05:31 AM »
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-01-08/obamas-latest-handout-two-years-free-community-college-everyone

Brilliant!  People currently attending college struggle to read at a 7th grade level, need remdial math and English, and almost completely suck at the sciences...and since everybody and their idiot spawn is attending universities specializing in gender studies, racial animosity and a plethora of other useless programs...the answer is to squeeze a few more subsidized folks into this declining environment and hope, what, this couple of years will get them beyond burger-flipper employment and into a burger supervisor career path?

::facepalm::

Welcome to the Field of Idiots!

What's another 30-40B/year + when you already piled on $7.5T on the national debt, eh?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 07:11:42 AM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Another retarded idea from the Head Retard
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 08:40:27 AM »
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-01-08/obamas-latest-handout-two-years-free-community-college-everyone

Brilliant!  People currently attending college struggle to read at a 7th grade level, need remdial math and English, and almost completely suck at the sciences...and since everybody and their idiot spawn is attending universities specializing in gender studies, racial animosity and a plethora of other useless programs...the answer is to squeeze a few more subsidized folks into this declining environment and hope, what, this couple of years will get them beyond burger-flipper employment and into a burger supervisor career path?

::facepalm::

Welcome to the Field of Idiots!

What's another 30-40B/year + when you already piled on $7.5T on the national debt, eh?

Yeah, well its just laughable now isn't it. Promising more free stuff (in an industry where tuition outpaces (official) inflation ) while you rack up 1 Trillion a year in debt - but then  Obongo probably has no intention of getting this passed. Its another red herring we can argue about that makes the opposition look "mean" -  don't you care about these kids futures?

Of course anymore my response is -- if you can only live by forcefully stealing from others then you are a parasite , and no , I don't care.  And don't tell me I am "investing" in these kids either.. an investment has a payoff, and the best payoff you can offer me is that taxes don't go up further if community college turns these looser non-contributing zeros  into productive citizens.

Offline Septugenarian

• A Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 10:36:25 AM »
He just invented grades 13 & 14.  One up on Canada.  One can't be outdone, can one. 
I'm entitled (to be cranky).

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 05:48:56 PM »
A few thoughts on community colleges.

In a lot of ways community colleges are the most successful form of "higher ed".    Ok, I know your laughing,  but stick with me a bit as I make a few points about them. 

Most community colleges opened in the years following WWII.   Some were created from the ground up,  but some were "teacher colleges" (university level schools that only had teaching degrees mainly for women) that were expanded.    They were designed for GI's returning from the war.   Since most were not ready for university level work (the MUCH higher level of that time).

They were (and many still are) fairly inexpensive.

Many of the students aren't "college age" so you have a wide age range and experience.  Many are only taking a class or two in a subject that interests them.   

Many are staffed by real people from the place the school is,  not people that are only "educators".   Many only teach a class or two on a subject that are their real day jobs (like a photographer etc).   Those are some of the best classes that can be had at a community college. 

They still are the place people go for remedial work.   That job has unfortunately gotten a lot bigger and a lot harder.   The highly motivated GI's have been replaced by unmotivated people who either blew off high school or went to a lousy one.    It has also given community colleges the negative stigma many have.

But I think they largely do what they were intended to do.

Yes,  they have low gradation rates.   But does that number include people who don't intend (just taking a class or two) to graduate?  I imagine some transfer earlier to a four year school too.   I don't think few getting the two year degrees (which are generally useless) is a problem that needs to be solved.   There is no problem with it being a adult or night school sort of thing.  If your not college aged,  it may be the only college that will work.

However,  I think a program like Obama's will only draw the worst of what is infecting higher education into community colleges.   And community colleges have plenty of its own problems, it doesn't need more of them. 

If anything,  the opposite should occur.    Community colleges should be spun off, their tax districts dissolved and the schools privatized.   Most would be far better off as private run organizations.    They could serve their communities rather then the education department in DC.   (I think public four year universities should be spun off and privatized too). 

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 07:40:45 PM »
I was a straight-A student until the ninth grade. Then the 60's caught up with me and I went berserk. I finished high school and started college - community college. A semester quickly taught me that college would be a waste of my parents precious money. I wanted to take it all in and live it all up.

Years later I reached another crossroads and decided that If I wanted to be anything I would need to go back to school. I did go - and to another community college. I got some training and it opened a few doors to me and I've been jamming ever since. You won't find me dissing CC's

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 10:51:55 PM »
I wouldn't diss community colleges.......but once you introduce " free " to the equation, soon the respect for the institution will leave.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 06:57:26 AM »
I think the post Rich made is spot on.  If I inadvertently castigated CC's I did not intend so, I myself went to one before moving on to a University, and my father was on of those GI's (Korea) that bennefited from the GI Bill, his two years of education was really all he had throughout most of his professional carreer and only late in life did he go back and complete his work and earn a bachelors degree.  And as I bluntly put it and Rich stated more elgegantly, we believe this is going to harm CC's more than it is going to help the great unwashed.  And I think the idea to privatize CC's and many 4 year institutions would be better.  Frankly, the entire educational system should be privatized, unions banned and tenure eliminated and let performance speak for professors, administrators and students!

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 07:46:04 PM »
Of course it's going to hurt CC's. I know there are "standards" which are supposed to be met, but with the dumbing down of high school and the pressure will be exerted on teachers to get kids the correct GPA..... I can't imagine what will be pouring out of our high schools to "go to college".

Can our C Colleges handle more students?
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 06:45:15 AM »
Can our C Colleges handle more students?

No. 

Enter ProgPlan B..."B" as in "Bloated", "B" as in "Budget"..."B" as in "Billions"...

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 05:55:37 PM »
Any time you decouple the consumer and producer, and introduce a 3rd party payer, you get two things: rising costs and declining quality. It's axiomatic. Friedrich Hayek discussed this at length.

Why has the cost of college tuition so dramatically outpaced inflation over the past 30 years? Because of federal student aid. The college's interest is in claiming as much of the federal pot of money as possible, and one way they do this is by increasing enrollment which necessarily means decreasing standards.  Same with health care.  Why does a hospital charge $2000 for a diagnostic that should only cost $100? Because insurance companies are paying, not patients.

Price discovery is one of the beauties of a free market. It's how you determine what something is truly worth, without regard to human bias and prejudice. But it's unfair, so you know how that goes....
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 09:34:41 AM »
   I have to say that parents are as much to blame for students taking stoooooopid courses by paying for them.  Allowing them to take courses that there are no jobs for.  The stupidity of it that all they want to do is get the chance to say "my kid attends" ........ fill in the name.  When they should be going to trade schools.  Plumbers and electricians and the like will own the world in years to come.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie