Author Topic: USB wall charger secretly logs keystrokes from nearby Microsoft wireless keybrds  (Read 1910 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Called KeySweeper, the stealthy Arduino-based device can sniff, decrypt, log, and report back all keystrokes — saving them both locally and online.

This is no toy. KeySweeper includes a web-based tool for live keystroke monitoring, can send SMS alerts for trigger words, usernames, or URLs (in case you want to steal a PIN number or password), and even continues to work after it is unplugged thanks to a rechargeable internal battery.

H/T Drudge
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Sure, I'll buy that.

I mean it, I'll buy it and use it on my enemies and see how they like being spied on.

Pol's, IRS, Stormtroopers...the possibilities are endless!

::evilbat::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
I think that to whatever degree a semblance of this society is still moving forward 5-10 years from now, there will be a whole subculture of people who are completely unplugged. The Amish provide a template.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
I think that to whatever degree a semblance of this society is still moving forward 5-10 years from now, there will be a whole subculture of people who are completely unplugged. The Amish provide a template.

I agree. If it happens to any of us, I'm gonna miss ya'll. Great place to vent.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
I think at this point, it would be pretty naive to assume that we (specifically we) are not on someones radar. Our comments are public, and available to all. I would assume our PMs are available to those with the motivation to retrieve them. Our email. Our cellphones. That's why Charles Oakwood left us when he did. He was wary of the scrutiny.

There's no point in paranoia. But we know that it is possible for agenices and hackers to spy on the most assumptively private communications, and we know that to our own government, we are extremists. Whether we merit being on their radar or not is a matter for speculation.

We should all move forward with the assumption that whatever we say is looked at.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
I don't sleep well but not because of this. All I have to do is recount all of the rank, idiotic incompetence I see all around me and it is to laugh to think of them doing much of anything about much of anything.

Molon Labe MoFo's!

Offline richb

• Established Member
Does Microsoft ever make anything that doesn't have crummy security?

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero

No. Even with the introduction of UAC (User Account Control) with Vista they still manage to screw the pooch. I've learned that the best approach to dealing with Microsquish is in having a good disaster recovery plan and backup your data - often!

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel

No. Even with the introduction of UAC (User Account Control) with Vista they still manage to screw the pooch. I've learned that the best approach to dealing with Microsquish is in having a good disaster recovery plan and backup your data - often!

On my personal laptop, I'm running Ubuntu Linux and love it!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
I don't sleep well but not because of this. All I have to do is recount all of the rank, idiotic incompetence I see all around me and it is to laugh to think of them doing much of anything about much of anything.

Molon Labe MoFo's!

I'm in that boat too.  I know that they think they know, and even with what they do know they can't to squat about it, not without making a big stinky fugly noise...

My freedom of speech is precious to me, more precious than their bribes and impervious to their threats.

molon labé
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 06:49:26 AM by Libertas »
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero

I suppose it's time to review Ubuntu again. What version are they up to now?

The problem I have with Linux is the lack of software. Two items of note:

I have broadband aircards for my laptops. One is a Verizon and the other is ATT (Sierra). There has never been decent support for broadband with Linux. Consequently if you want to be connected on the road you have to find a way to mickey-mouse the connection using dial-up technology.

The other thing is maps. I have used Microsquish's Streets and Trips for a dozen years now. I liked the product even before they added support for GPS. Now I find it indispensable. I also have found zero similar products in Linux flavors.

As a road warrior I've come to rely on those capabilities and a laptop next to worthless without them.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel

I suppose it's time to review Ubuntu again. What version are they up to now?

The problem I have with Linux is the lack of software. Two items of note:

I have broadband aircards for my laptops. One is a Verizon and the other is ATT (Sierra). There has never been decent support for broadband with Linux. Consequently if you want to be connected on the road you have to find a way to mickey-mouse the connection using dial-up technology.

The other thing is maps. I have used Microsquish's Streets and Trips for a dozen years now. I liked the product even before they added support for GPS. Now I find it indispensable. I also have found zero similar products in Linux flavors.

As a road warrior I've come to rely on those capabilities and a laptop next to worthless without them.

I don't have my personal laptop with me (work laptop), but I think it's version 14.***.

It comes with an Office Suite, but I haven't used it to check compatibility with MS Office.

For maps, while I still prefer printed ones, I've come to rely on my phone. And I've only used wi-fi for mine. No problems with hardware compatibility like I had with a couple different versions of Linux.

Thomas Jefferson