Author Topic: Remember those reporters Obama went after to cough up their sources?  (Read 765 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
CIA officer free pending sentencing after conviction of leaking classified info.

This whole thing just stinks to high heaven.  Why is it that I cannot shake the thought from my head that this whole thing was engineered to both leak what was leaked and to target reporters and instill a climate of fear into the media and the bureaucracy to not dick with Executive Power?

If I am wrong about this, please, someone show me where I am in error...I would really like to be proven wrong in this case, because if I am right the future looks even darker than it did a minute ago!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Remember those reporters Obama went after to cough up their sources?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 08:00:03 AM »
I've had similar thoughts about Julian Assange and Edward Snowden.

What better way to make an entire population suddenly question every public or private electronic communication, than to have "traitors" - unavailable and therefore unaccountable to our justice system - reveal that no ones private information is safe from government eyes and ears?

In hindsight the revelations of those two men was like a grand announcement: You now live under a surveillance state. I speculate that the possibility exists that that announcement came directly from our government.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
Re: Remember those reporters Obama went after to cough up their sources?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 08:27:00 AM »
The case against Sterling was largely circumstantial — there were no recorded phone conversations or captured e-mail exchanges that show that he leaked classified information to Risen — and that required prosecutors’ to delve deeply into Sterling’s work and the details of Risen’s book.

Evidence - we don need no steeenkin evidence!