Author Topic: The term "Alt Right"  (Read 1992 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
The term "Alt Right"
« on: September 26, 2016, 07:38:10 AM »
I've never heard the term used a single time ever until this election cycle. Suddenly it's everywhere, and it's being used interchangeably as a slander by the Left and a badge of honor by the Right.

I don't like it, because there is nothing "alternative" about what we believe. It's like ceding the Leftist narrative, and finally agreeing that mainstream conservative views are "extremist". f**king communists run the Democrat party, and they're not labeled "alt Left".
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: The term "Alt Right"
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 08:07:09 AM »
I get where you're coming from IDP...for the Left it is this cycle's "Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy", but they can't just recycle that 90's vintage hooey anymore, thanks in large part to the Establishment Pubbies helping the Left to destroy anything Right of them!  And can't pick on the Tea Party anymore since they were destroyed by faction and Establishment clowns in both parties.

I kind of like the using of the term "Deplorables" against Team Hildabeast.  Anything that is in opposition to Hillary and Obama IMO is a good thing...like always a term often isn't poor on its own accord, with most things political now days it is up to people to not let the Establishment define it.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 08:38:55 AM »
I think the "label wars" are pretty much over.  You think I am a racist, pig f**king zealot high on coke and weed and advocating for alien invasion?  Whatever.
I no longer care what you think.

And given the GOP  is considered "right"  - perhaps a new term is in order, since none of us will be supporting the GOP  ever, ever again.

Update :  more evidence the semantic label wars are ending.

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/244747/

"Okay , how about we just call you assholes"

I  can't wait for the first person  to tell me to use their pronouns. Okay XE,  you may address me as "Master", "MiLord", "My Superiors in all things"  etc...

"“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that's all.”"

Words have no power unless you grant them power.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 08:51:35 AM by Weisshaupt »

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 11:26:49 AM »
I've heard the term for about 2 years now, and I think it was a self-description rather than something the Left came up with.  The roots of it have been around for some time, but I think it really germinated with the evident failure of the Tea Party movement.  For a lot of people, that represented the final effort to do things conventionally.

For me, I have come to believe that American conservatism is a failure.  We have to accept this.  There's no point in flogging that dead horse any more.  It doesn't mean the ideas that animated conservatives are failures, it just means we are going to have to chart out alternative ways of promoting them.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 11:55:05 AM »
I think the "label wars" are pretty much over.  You think I am a racist, pig f**king zealot high on coke and weed and advocating for alien invasion?  Whatever.

And given the GOP  is considered "right"  - perhaps a new term is in order, since none of us will be supporting the GOP  ever, ever again.

Update :  more evidence the semantic label wars are ending.

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/244747/

"Okay , how about we just call you assholes"

I  can't wait for the first person  to tell me to use their pronouns. Okay XE,  you may address me as "Master", "MiLord", "My Superiors in all things"  etc...

"“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that's all.”"

Words have no power unless you grant them power.

As I understand your use of this term, “the media” is essentially shorthand for anything you read, saw or heard today that you disagreed with or didn’t like. At any given moment, “the media” is biased against your candidate, your issue, your very way of life.

But, you know, the media isn’t really doing that. Some article, some news report, some guy spouting off on a CNN panel or at CrankyCrackpot.com might be. But none of those things singularly are really the media.

Fact is, there really is no such thing as “the media.” It’s an invention, a tool, an all-purpose smear by people who can’t be bothered to make distinctions.

This is some classic media horsesh*t right here.  Do they think we don't know about JournoList and the DNC email leaks showing the extent to which they are literally the propaganda arm of the Democratic Party?  But oh, it's a figment of our imagination that there is such a thing as "the media," let alone one that has a particular ideological axe to grind?

Don't worry then, media.  If there's no such thing as "the media" then there's lots of other "no such things" too.  Those aren't gallows, they're just roadway illumination devices with some sections of braided cord hanging from them.

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 11:57:03 AM »
CrankyCrackpot.com, eh?  He must read Fran Porretto's blog.  Heh.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 12:03:47 PM »
Don't worry then, media.  If there's no such thing as "the media" then there's lots of other "no such things" too.  Those aren't gallows, they're just roadway illumination devices with some sections of braided cord hanging from them.

Heh!   ::thumbsup::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 07:34:26 PM »
I just listened to Milo Yiannopoulos giving a pre-debate talk, and towards the end in the Q&A session he gave an answer that I think cuts right to the core of this question:

1. For decades, conservatives failed to grok that this is a war. The establishment still doesn't.

2. Politics is downstream of culture.  The "alt right" represents the first real recognition of this reality on the Right.

- Yours Truly

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 07:49:44 PM »

You are soooo right.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 08:09:31 PM »
I just listened to Milo Yiannopoulos giving a pre-debate talk, and towards the end in the Q&A session he gave an answer that I think cuts right to the core of this question:

1. For decades, conservatives failed to grok that this is a war. The establishment still doesn't.

2. Politics is downstream of culture.  The "alt right" represents the first real recognition of this reality on the Right.

Yup.  I think the Establishment is in panic mode, floundering Hildabeast is scaring them...and in the opening yammer by that idiot she is clearly uber scripted and halting and wooden.  Obviously heavily medicated and duct-taped and butt-puttied.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 08:10:16 PM »

You are soooo right.

Caring what fools think is a senseless waste of time.