Author Topic: Solar Panel Tax!!!  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Solar Panel Tax!!!
« on: April 21, 2014, 11:32:55 AM »
Look out Weissahupt...you know how libiots like copying stupid ideas!

http://iowntheworld.com/blog/?p=232970

Passed without debate..in OK!   ::facepalm::   ::unknowncomic::

Look out dude, they'll be coming for you next!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Solar Panel Tax!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 11:56:38 AM »
Look out Weissahupt...you know how libiots like copying stupid ideas!

http://iowntheworld.com/blog/?p=232970

Passed without debate..in OK!   ::facepalm::   ::unknowncomic::

Look out dude, they'll be coming for you next!

Left the same comment there:

Actually if you “sell back to the grid”, most net-metering agreements make that that the retail rate – i.e. the power company MUST buy your power – if they need it or not, at the retail rate – vs, producing it or buying it at the wholesale rate. They are in effect acting as a battery – storing excess production till you need it at night. If you bought batteries and put them on site do to the same thing you would be looking at $3000K minimum, and you would have to replace those batteries every 8 years or so. A small monthly fee from the electric company for this service is not out of line… And if you don’t like it – buy those batteries , maintain them monthly and disconnect. In the end most utilities companies are regulated by a local PUC that restricts how much profit they can make, and making them essentially purchase electricity from Solar producers at retail rates, which they may or may not need depending on when peak demand occurs only increases the rates for everyone. Not changing solar producers for what THEY USE ( the utility as battery storage) is costing everyone else money.

So yeah, they should have been doing this all along..  its only the Libtard desire to consume what they don't pay for that demands otherwise.  The power company would much rather purchase  or produce more electricity at Wholesale to meet demand than to loose the retail purchase of the same electricity at night..  You can bet if they buy power form other companies or even produce it in their own plant is cost them way less to meet that demand that way than by giving up retail sales of electricity at night.

Net-metering forces them to buy the power, but they still have to run the power  plant, and they can't easily dial most plants up or down   if PV production in an area suddenly drops because a Thunderstorm obscures the sun for an hour during peak.. so net-metering actually  raises costs,  and since the PUC lets them charge some percentage over cost as a profit, anything that ups their costs shows up in your bill.   Given the cost of even a small battery system,  you are looking at paying at least $30 a month for that system.. so if the PUC allows them to charges anything under that, you are STILL getting a deal..

If net-metering were fair, your over production would be sold them to the power company at wholesale rate and you would buy electricity at the retail rate.  Really, a $5-10 fee is still way cheaper than having to do that....

Yes, I will take it while I can get it.. but I won't pretend I am entitled to such subsidies.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 12:07:26 PM »
All understandable but when one says "off-grid" the PTBs ultimately define what that means.  Is there any arrangement possible that 100% gets any form of government off your ass?

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 12:10:25 PM »
All understandable but when one says "off-grid" the PTBs ultimately define what that means.  Is there any arrangement possible that 100% gets any form of government off your ass?

As far as solar is concerned? Sure.  Don't connect to the grid.  If this were a tax collected by the govt on ANYONE using Solar I would be pissed.  But its not. Its a fee to be charged by the utility for net-metering - for using their infrastructure as a battery.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 12:24:23 PM »

As far as solar is concerned? Sure.  Don't connect to the grid.  If this were a tax collected by the govt on ANYONE using Solar I would be pissed.  But its not. Its a fee to be charged by the utility for net-metering - for using their infrastructure as a battery.

Good, I thought there was something more nefarious going on.  Well, not to say that at some cash-strapped point chasing the opt-outers won't come into play, but...for those folks they are at least one more level removed from the chain...for now.