Author Topic: "I guess Mississippi doesn't want Federal money anymore"  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
"I guess Mississippi doesn't want Federal money anymore"
« on: June 09, 2014, 12:52:05 PM »
You want to know everything wrong with the GOP establishment and Beltway consultant class? It's all distilled right here in this article.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/mississippi-voters-stagger-thad-cochran-and-k-street/article/2549442

"I guess Mississippi doesn't want Federal money anymore,” revolving-door K Streeter John Feehery posted on Twitter last week. Republican primary voters had just declined to renominate Sen. Thad Cochran, the Republican pork king, and instead forced him into a runoff that he's likely to lose.

“I betcha there are 49 states that will gladly take it.”

The tweet was perfect. In less than 140 characters Feehery had not only summarized Cochran's reason for existence, he also helped reveal what the GOP's K Street wing has at stake in its primary battles against Tea Partiers like Mississippi's Chris McDaniel.

Got that? It's not taxpayer money. No, it's "Federal money", and if the unwashed commoners of Mississippi are too good for it then 49 other states will be glad to take it.

This all reads like another essay on why there's not going to be any sort of reform from within. The whole system of patronage is so thoroughly entrenched there's no way to fix it. And, I hasten to add, this is among the supposedly "lesser of two evils".

And just get a load of this comment left at the article. I almost think it's a troll because it's so on the nose, but it could very well be real:

Ya know I am really sick of this.anti business attitude that the tea party types have been.disaying lately. A good part of my business is government contract work and I.expect my elected reps to steer more business my way. Why should I shun Government money because conservative blue collar types think their provincial beliefs should dictate all.business in America.

God knows at least the government is guaranteed to pay you where private sector actors often don't or can't.

The fact is a job is a job and all dollars count and government dollars are no less noble than private sector dollars.

Do we have a debt problem? Sure we.do, but instead of moderate solutions I see modern conservatives throwing out the baby with the bath water. They don't understand that our economy.cannot survive without government dollars.

I'll not see my lifes work destroyed because of cheap tea party misers. At least Boehner puts business owners ahead of the hoi polloi, which is as it should be.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: "I guess Mississippi doesn't want Federal money anymore"
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 01:11:48 PM »
Gawd, we are sooo sca-rewed.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 02:25:26 PM »
Yea, we can't survive without that gov't money.... ::falldownshocked:: ::gaah::
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 03:04:43 PM »
What irks me as much as the whining from the lobbyist is the comment by that guy. It's the same "pro-business" position as the Chamber of Commerce shilling for amnesty. So this guy runs a business that does a lot of government contract work, so that means you can't agitate for a reduction in government spending (and thus taxation of your own earnings) because heaven forbid it mean less business for that guy.

This is a perfect example of how the whole system is designed to produce interdependency. It's an elaborate system of vassalage so everyone becomes protective of it. That's why the Tea Party movement is more threatening to the GOP establishment than to anyone else.

I guess some days I'm just still struck by the self-serving arrogance of the entitled -- and these entitled come in multiple forms. They're not all welfare queens or bloated pension recipients, some of them are ostensibly private sector businesses jealously guarding the slop trough, and they don't give a tinkers damn what sort of burden it places on you in your own life and affairs. You're just a resource to be harvested from.

A whole lot of somebodies have a whole lot of comeuppances due.

- Yours Truly

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 04:42:30 PM »
It's sad that it occurs to almost nobody anymore that the federal government HAS NO MONEY!   It should NEVER be described as federal money,  because it isn't.    It should ALWAYS be described as TAXPAYERS money,  even after its been taken from taxpayers.   

Whether it's now in the hands of local, county, state or federal government,  it is never truly the governments.  Just like national parks aren't the governments but the citizens of the US.   Yes,  its run (often badly) by the feds,  it however is not a entity that actually owns anything.  Control it,  yes, own it no. 

The further the money goes to be spent,  the less it seems to be the taxpayers.   It's seen all too much as free money to be had,  because if you don't take it,  someone else will.  It's much easier to spend money collected a thousand miles away.

That's why the founders never meant for the federal government to spend much of the taxpayers money.   Most should be collected and spent as local as possible.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 05:00:39 PM »
Cochran is positioning himself to pull a "Murkowski" in the general election. Mark my words. He'll lose the primary, whining about extremists all the while. Then if there's any viable pathway, he'll run in the general election, when he can promise Democrats and loyal Republicans that he'll work for the people of Mississippi to keep the sugar flowing from the federal tit.

How DARE the voters try to unseat a sitting senator. He needs to teach them who's Boss.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 06:42:39 PM »
IDP is likely correct, which brings us right back to what Pan said - screwed!

But l would add "glued and tattooed" as well.

Oh, and f**k it all anyway...let it burn!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 05:19:10 AM »
IDP is likely correct, which brings us right back to what Pan said - screwed!

But l would add "glued and tattooed" as well.

Oh, and f**k it all anyway...let it burn!

Exactly why I don't get excited by elections anymore. We're beyond righting this ship with any sort of electoral process. I say damn the torpedoes and let's speed up the process. The sooner the government tanks, the sooner we can begin reconstruction.

I've got a tractor and will learn farming from the Adaptive Curmudgeon.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 05:40:56 PM »
Looking forward to the interim period of mass executions for treason myself. ::guillotine::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 07:26:56 AM »
Hedley Lamarr 1080HD

...right about the 50 sec mark...

::laughonfloor::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 10:11:22 AM »
Hedley Lamarr must be a direct ancestor of Dingy Harry.

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 11:32:45 AM »
We need some White Tigers to watch the Nat'l Assn for the Advancement of Colored Progressives watching the Tea Party people in Mississippi...

http://weaselzippers.us/191061-naacp-says-it-will-monitor-tea-party-poll-watchers-in-mississippi-senate-runoff-election/

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 05:46:56 PM »
The best article I've seen, spelling out just what went down in Mississippi

A Life Ruined: The Corrupt Players of the Mississippi Senate Race

Starring Haley Barbour

Co-Starring Brad Dayspring, Poli Sci retard, corrupt piece of garbage

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 01:38:37 AM »
The best article I've seen, spelling out just what went down in Mississippi

A Life Ruined: The Corrupt Players of the Mississippi Senate Race

Starring Haley Barbour

Co-Starring Brad Dayspring, Poli Sci retard, corrupt piece of garbage

Very long and well sourced article.

But kind of beside the point now that the very obviously demented Thad Cochran was able to cheat his way out of the runoff. Unless something miraculous happens as regards the primary results Cochran will stay on the ballot and then we will see what happens in November. Me? I'm pulling for all of the Tea Party people to vote for the Democrat. Yes, I want the Senate in GOP hands for reasons I have stated elsewhere but in THIS case the GOP candidate needs to be kicked to the curb just to prove that the win-at-all-costs, scorched earth strategy is a losing strategy. Yeah, I know it sounds hypocritical but I just don't want assholes like Barbour and Dayspring to win. Not ever.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 07:25:31 AM »
This would be my second election (if I could vote there) where I would pull the level for a D, if I had no other choices.  After reading that, I really see the Mississippi Republican Party as that corrupt.

The first?  I was 20, had a run in with my local mayor, thought he was a complete a**hole.  So I voted for the D in the next election...just to find out the D was in prison.  ::hysterical::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »
Yeah...might be warranted, but...

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/07/true-the-vote-files-motion-against-ms-gop-destruction-of-absentee-ballot-documents-double-voting-discarded-legal-votes-found-statewide/

...watch the Ruling Class wagon-circling begin! 

This is where bi-partisanship works to the detriment of liberty...