Author Topic: Radio Shack To Sell Customers’ Personal Information In Bankruptcy Sale  (Read 1378 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Yeah, this is my shocked face.

... the report says Radio Shack is ready to sell information they have on some 117 million customers, including names, addresses, phone numbers and other details on purchases.

This despite the Radio Shack privacy policy, which says “We will not sell or rent your personally identifiable information to anyone at any time.

... “But at the end of the day, Radio Shack isn’t doing anything all other major corporations haven’t been doing for many years.”

But states are lining up against the move. The Texas attorney general has filed an objection to the sale.

And now, New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman has issued a statement, saying “When a company collects private customer data on the condition that it will not be resold, it is the company’s responsibility to uphold their end of the bargain.”

So while this may become a legal battle, consumers are left wondering what they can do to protect their information.

Viollis says, just say no.

From the comments:  "azlibrabbit rhzszm --  most people quit going there because you had to pony up your life story to buy a flashlight battery, and that was so long ago that most everything they have is probably outdated. I wouldn't pay a plug nickel for it."

As the clerk stood, fingers poised over the keyboard and asked for my name, I asked why he wanted it.  "In case you lose your receipt".  (He don't know me very well, do he?)  I told him I didn't want to be in his computer --- the first time.  After that, I just looked him/her dead in the eye and said "no".

I began refusing to give *any* information long ago, including zip code.  The clerks used to roll their eyes and some of my friends thought I was nuts/paranoid.  Didn't care then; these days I'm vindicated.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
It's been so long since I bought anything from them honestly I cannot remember if I gave them anything or not and even if I did I cannot recall giving real (now dated) info or the info for the Minneapolis FBI office...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
It's been so long since I bought anything from them honestly I cannot remember if I gave them anything or not and even if I did I cannot recall giving real (now dated) info or the info for the Minneapolis FBI office...

You too huh?

At one time I used to know the inside line to the Vice Squad at the Seattle PD. When people would bug me for a phone number I would give them that one.

::devil::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!

You too huh?

At one time I used to know the inside line to the Vice Squad at the Seattle PD. When people would bug me for a phone number I would give them that one.

::devil::

I'm always on the lookout for another one...   ::evil::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline richb

• Established Member
The customer list is one of the few things of any value RS still has.   Some bankruptcy judge will probably order its sale to pay off creditors.