Author Topic: Today's dessert: Strawberry pie  (Read 4212 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Today's dessert: Strawberry pie
« on: May 03, 2011, 04:29:06 PM »
So 8 jars of jam weren't enough for dear daughter (she'd almost finished jar #2) she requested strawberry pie for her birthday dinner tonight.  Easier than a cake.  The pie crust turns out well because I use coconut oil rather than butter/margarine/etc--otherwise I tend to get it tough. Five cups of berries, 3/4 cup of sugar and 3 tablespoons of flour and crust on top -- I like making pies--my favorite dessert.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Today's dessert: Strawberry pie
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 05:26:17 PM »
That sounds really good, too.

I'm kind of good with piecrust, if I do say so myself, using Crisco and butter.  It's the filling, usually apple, with which I struggle.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

RickZ

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 05:51:39 PM »
Just saw today on Cook's Country a recipe for Strawberry Pie.  No flour, but gelatin.  Cooked on a stovetop, put into a prebaked crust and then refrigerated.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 06:26:35 PM »
There's pie?
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 09:32:14 PM »
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 09:37:24 PM »

I'm kind of good with piecrust, if I do say so myself, using Crisco and butter.  It's the filling, usually apple, with which I struggle.

When I use butter the crust doesn't come out as good.  Not sure why but once I used coconut oil (I use it for popcorn usually. YUM!) and discovered my crust turns out great every time.

So what's not working with your apple pie?

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 09:38:46 PM »
Just saw today on Cook's Country a recipe for Strawberry Pie.  No flour, but gelatin.  Cooked on a stovetop, put into a prebaked crust and then refrigerated.

that sounds good for a hot summer day

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 09:40:07 PM »

When I use butter the crust doesn't come out as good.  Not sure why but once I used coconut oil (I use it for popcorn usually. YUM!) and discovered my crust turns out great every time.

So what's not working with your apple pie?

I like the apple filling on the soft side, not mushy mind you; firm but no resistance.  Haven't been able to get there using fresh apples, and after making the crust, I'll be damned if I'll use canned apples.

Got any ideas?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

RickZ

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 09:43:48 PM »
Got any ideas?

Wht apples are you currently using in your filling?

A mix of Granny Smiths and Golden Delicious is best.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 09:45:56 PM »
Got any ideas?

Wht apples are you currently using in your filling?

A mix of Granny Smiths and Golden Delicious is best.

Sigh.  Everybody's got a different idea of the best apple, no offense.  So, no, I used Galas.

RickZ

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 09:49:11 PM »
Sigh.  Everybody's got a different idea of the best apple, no offense.  So, no, I used Galas.

That why there are so many diners with so many different kinds of apple pie.  Also, the apples used can depend on where you live, and how fresh the apples are (some varieties don't travel well).  Up here in NY, the apples in the fall are pretty fresh and local (within 50-100 miles).

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 09:52:19 PM »

That why there are so many diners with so many different kinds of apple pie.  Also, the apples used can depend on where you live, and how fresh the apples are (some varieties don't travel well).  Up here in NY, the apples in the fall are pretty fresh and local (within 50-100 miles).

So, then, to translate, locally grown, fresh apples, despite the type, should be "best"?

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 10:23:20 PM »

So, then, to translate, locally grown, fresh apples, despite the type, should be "best"?

But you want a baking apple not an eating apple.We had a variety called the Northen Spy. My mother loved them baked just cut a cone shape on the to of it put in a tea spoon full of sugar and a little cinamom and you have a pie no crust.(mom can't bake worth a damn)Except bread.

But Granny smith and a sweet apple should work.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 10:34:15 PM »
Well, I use whatever apple's on the kitchen counter at the time. I know there's cooking and eating apples but frankly I don't pay too much attention to it. The filling always seems fine--not mushy, not too hard. I've used fresh apples and the ones that are this close - to being apple sauce cuz they look questionable.  Idk--my husband eats them and he's picky about his desserts. Maybe he doesn't know good apple pie LOL!

I saw a suggestion recently to pre-cook the apples slightly before putting them in the pie...maybe that would help.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 10:35:31 PM »
Well, I use whatever apple's on the kitchen counter at the time. I know there's cooking and eating apples but frankly I don't pay too much attention to it. The filling always seems fine--not mushy, not too hard. I've used fresh apples and the ones that are this close - to being apple sauce cuz they look questionable.  Idk--my husband eats them and he's picky about his desserts. Maybe he doesn't know good apple pie LOL!

I saw a suggestion recently to pre-cook the apples slightly before putting them in the pie...maybe that would help.

Could temp be the issue??
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 10:36:52 PM »

But you want a baking apple not an eating apple.We had a variety called the Northen Spy. My mother loved them baked just cut a cone shape on the to of it put in a tea spoon full of sugar and a little cinamom and you have a pie no crust.(mom can't bake worth a damn)Except bread.

But Granny smith and a sweet apple should work.

I don't want a "pie, no crust"; I want a damn pie WITH crust.

Maybe a little pre-cooking, then.  Did our elders do it so?  It feels like cheating.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »
Pre-cooking the apples isn't cheating--just a trick to get the apples to the way you like them--someone else may like them mushy or firmer...

Figure this out--then no more Mrs. Smith's!

Cook's Illustrated often has suggestions or tricks for getting dishes to turn out right--if I remember tomorrow I'll look up their suggestion for apples in pie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 10:58:44 PM »
Thank you; 'preciate that.