Author Topic: Federal agents widen Chiptole immigration probe  (Read 2603 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Federal agents widen Chiptole immigration probe
« on: May 04, 2011, 10:41:57 AM »
Believe me, I would like all American businesses to receive the same scrutiny. But at the same time, I have to ask myself, why this one restaurant? Clearly Chipotle restaurants are being singled out by ICE for this treatment. Given this administrations proclivity for using its bureaucratic tentacles to harm enemies and reward friends, I'm wondering exactly what's up with the federal government's keen interest in Chipotle restaurants.

Federal agents widen Chiptole immigration probe

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - U.S. immigration agents descended on Chipotle Mexican Grill restaurants on Tuesday, interviewing employees in about two dozen outlets in Los Angeles, Atlanta and other cities.

Roughly 500 undocumented workers have been fired as a result of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) audits of the popular burrito chain's hiring paperwork in Minnesota, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Tuesday's ICE interviews were part of a related criminal investigation and could suggest that government interest is intensifying.

In addition to the cities mentioned above, ICE agents also interviewed workers in Minnesota and Washington, D.C., said Robert Luskin, Chipotle's outside counsel and a partner at Patton Boggs in Washington.

More @ link...
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Federal agents widen Chiptole immigration probe
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 11:00:53 AM »
Is part of it because McDonalds, I think, started Chipotle?  Another offshoot of the fat wars etc?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 11:35:36 AM »
Is part of it because McDonalds, I think, started Chipotle?  Another offshoot of the fat wars etc?

As far as I know, McDonald's divested itself from Chipotle some time ago. I may be misremembering, but I don't think so.

I'm getting the feeling unions are involved somehow.

This thought just entered my mind...

You can't unionize illegal aliens. So to begin a movement to unionize the fast food industry, you'd need a company to go after with which you can begin your movement. But they all hire illegal aliens to one extent or another. You need to create one that doesn't.

So you use the immigration bureaucracy to go after a restaurant that you already know hires illegal aliens almost exclusively, and force that company to hire legal American workers. You pick Chipotle because it is a high-profile target that everyone knows profits from illegal alien employees, so no one but la Raza will really bitch. You know the race-baiters will scream, but the public nature of the company's illegal alien hiring policy gives you cover. There's much more cover against charges of racism by moving against Chipotle than there would be trying to go after McDonalds or Wendy's in the same way. Chipotle's transgressions against immigration law are overt - in your face - while other retailers at least attempt to blend their illegals into the workforce.

Once that company has been made to comply with immigration law, and ICE knows that all the employees are legal citizens, they signal the SEIU, the union moves in, beginning a movement to unionize fast food workers under the SEIU, one chain at a time.

Just a rambling thought. But if I can think of it, so can they. And the government's singling out of this one restaurant chain seems too extraordinary to ignore motivations. You KNOW this is not just a case of the government trying to solve the illegal alien problem.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

charlesoakwood

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 11:44:10 AM »

...and Chipotle is the largest fast food chain with a Mexican name?

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 11:54:08 AM »
I agree focusing on motivation is key, proglodytes don't do anything by mistake, their actions lead to a specific result, all designed to ultimately benefit themselves or aid in the destruction of their enemies or both.  But unions as yet have not taken root in retail food service, SEIU is in hospital cafeteria's and such, but taking of privately owned restraunts is another.  If that is their attempt it is a bold power play.  Maybe that's it, I don't know.  The only other thing that makes sense is punishing a minor infraction here in order to avoid larger more material infractions over there (who may be big DemonRat contributors)!  Find out who Chipotle gives contributions to, or doesn't, and you may have your answer.

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.