Author Topic: Recognizing a forgotten N.C. Founder  (Read 2225 times)

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
Recognizing a forgotten N.C. Founder
« on: May 04, 2011, 01:16:48 PM »
http://www.imaginativeconservative.org/2011/04/recognizing-forgotten-nc-founder.html

Constitutional theorist Daniel Dreisbach writes, many Americans “made salient contributions in thought, word, and deed to the construction of America’s republican institutions.” One of them was Hugh Williamson. Few today have heard of him, and almost everyone overlooks this founding father when trying to learn of the “original intent” of the Constitution. That's a mistake. To ignore Williamson (and founders other than the usual five or six historical figures) is an inadequate approach to understand proper originalism.

<snip>

“Original intent,” then, mistakenly becomes nothing other than the opinions of a handful, and we ignore the role of the ratifying conventions and the wisdom of other leading public figures in understanding the process of ratification and the federal underpinnings of our government.

<snip>

Williamson, an Edenton resident, delivered more than 70 speeches at the convention and was appointed to five committees (the second most of any delegate). He had a particularly strong interest in economic questions, serving on committees to consider questions such as state debts and the slave trade.

While considering these questions of immediate import to the young republic, Williamson made a large number of smaller contributions to the Constitution

I learned American history as a kid while living in North Carolina and I don't remember ever hearing about this man.
If I remember correctly N.C. history at the time was covered in 8th grade.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Recognizing a forgotten N.C. Founder
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 01:36:18 PM »
I have no idea what the kids are presented in terms of history here, nor when.   
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 01:43:09 PM »
Well, as an adult I've had to make up for the lack of education I received as a kid (we lived in several states--it wasn't just one school district I experienced).  I was an "A" student and sometimes I wonder what the heck did I do all day? 

American history is so rich and exciting it's a shame so many miss out.

(I do remember 8th graders got to watch Gone With the Wind for history class one day.  I'd already read the book by the time it was my turn.)
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 06:43:09 AM »
I am fond of gobbling up historical tomes and biographies and such and especially enjoy early American history...in all my readings I cannot say I recall having run across this name, but the man appears to have lived an interesting life and mingled with many of the luminaries of the age.

http://colonialhall.com/williamson/williamson.php
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 09:35:23 AM »
I am fond of gobbling up historical tomes and biographies and such and especially enjoy early American history...in all my readings I cannot say I recall having run across this name, but the man appears to have lived an interesting life and mingled with many of the luminaries of the age.

http://colonialhall.com/williamson/williamson.php

What an interesting life.