Author Topic: Kalifornia goes even more retard.  (Read 2583 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Kalifornia goes even more retard.
« on: August 13, 2015, 09:22:11 AM »
http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/Los-Angeles-covers-reservoir-waters-with-shade-balls-321659831.html

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles has been blackballed.

The city has completed a program of covering open-air reservoirs with floating "shade balls" to protect water quality.

City officials this week dumped the last 20,000 of 96 million black balls into the Los Angeles Reservoir in Sylmar, 25 miles northwest of downtown.

The 4-inch-diameter plastic balls block sunlight from penetrating the 175-acre surface of the reservoir.

That prevents chemical reactions that can cause algae blooms and other problems, allowing the Department of Water and Power to meet U.S. Environmental Protection Agency water-quality requirements.

They have the added perk of aiding with the ravages of the drought, and are expected to keep about 300 million gallons annually from evaporating.

"In the midst of California's historic drought, it takes bold ingenuity to maximize my goals for water conservation," Mayor Eric Garcetti said in a statement, noting that the effort is "emblematic of the kind of the creative thinking we need to meet those challenges."

The 36-cent balls also will help prevent evaporation of 300 million gallons of water annually from the 3.3 billion-gallon reservoir, the DWP said.

The city began using shade balls in 2008, and they now also cover the Upper Stone, Elysian and Ivanhoe reservoirs.

And they've been preaching how harmful plastic is. No chance anything could go wrong with this experiment.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Kalifornia goes even more retard.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 09:26:26 AM »
Ow, my balz! 
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 09:41:08 AM »
If there were more reservoirs, if they'd continued with the infrastructure plans made and begun by men, now dead, who were smarter and more humane than they, they'd not have to worry about yet another natural process, evaporation. 

Nah, makes too much sense.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 09:52:18 AM »
Yeah, just wait until some ultra rare species of pelican starts gobbling up plastic balls.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 10:41:31 AM »
Does the Heimlich work on Pelicans?

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 10:44:19 AM »
Don't care.

As if the ballz aren't enough, the CA Legislature has decreed the word "alien" to be illegal.  It's "dehumanizing".
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 10:47:01 AM »
I was reading about this on Liveleak. One of the comments said "They're black. They won't work." ::laughonfloor::  ::hysterical::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 11:03:15 AM »
Heh, pretty funny, Alan!   ::rolllaughing::

As to Pan's point - I find California Progs to be dehumanizing....I say they should be culled.  Perhaps matching black balls around them...made of lead of course...

:D

The Pelicans would be safe, they don't dive down that far...

http://www.weaselzippers.us/231512-los-angeles-dem-mayor-eric-garcetti-deploys-final-20000-black-balls-to-stop-evaporation-of-water-from-la-reservoir/

::facepalm::
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 11:51:29 AM by Libertas »

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 06:06:39 PM »
Do Governor Brown’s Black Balls Actually Increase Water Loss In California Reservoirs?

http://universalfreepress.com/do-governor-browns-black-balls-actually-increase-water-loss-in-california-reservoirs/

They managed to spend 35 million dollars on this project.   

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 07:06:22 AM »
I was wondering about the heat absorption and evaporation but until it is quantified we won't know for sure to what extent, but for certain there will be water loss, and anything in a medium shade is likely not to be any better in that regard...and white probably would not block enough sunlight to prevent algae growth or slow evaporation sufficiently.  And we haven't even seen the other effects this might have on Gaia's creatures.  And what about wind action?  And do they chemically treat this water at all, if so what effect does that have with or without balls of any color?  As usual, government action is almost always agenda-driven, crony-benefiting and ultimately horrid for everyone else.  It's almost like they adopted the EPA strategy and created chaos as means to create the next fund raiser for bureaucrats and cronies.  In fact I am going to outright say their motives were nefarious from the start and will continue to be nefarious throughout.  They (can be applied to any governmental body or bureaucratic empire) simply warrant no other courtesy given their track records.

But hey, WTF do I care?  Once they run out of water the draconian action begins, heck these morons might even spark a war with neighbors over water rights. 

If you are in California, GTFO.

Then watch the show like the rest of us.

::popcorn::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 07:50:16 AM »
Mmmm...bacteria.  Yummy!

And how monumentally stupid is the entire chain if stupid here?

Unelected bureaucrats in EPA...filled with appointees from the likes of Obama the Destroyer...issue dumbass rulings meant only to accrue more power and funding to them...then poopyheads in state government of a similar genesis come up with this scat-brained idea and the people don't care as long as their java and Kardashian fix is satisfied...

This is what societies in inescapable terminal decline look like.

ETA - Oh, and their next ass-spawned idea...

http://iotwreport.com/ca-confiscating-farmland-to-build-water-tunnels/

Maybe this will trigger faults to pop and that useless landmass will finally slither under the Pacific Plate and we can intelligently populate a new coastline?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 08:28:10 AM by Libertas »