Author Topic: The Flu  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
The Flu
« on: September 24, 2015, 07:45:51 AM »
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/scientists-reveal-flu-develops-roof-6499378

This seems a bit...well..."Duh?!" to me.

Anyway, maybe there is something to those cold/flu "zinc" sprays to the throat, eh?  Maybe should be blasting that stuff in everyday, eh?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: The Flu
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 09:17:11 AM »
All I know for sure is I'm 58 yrs old, never had the flu and I've never had a flu shot.

I've had bronchitis kick my azz a couple times, though.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 12:55:45 PM »
All I know for sure is I'm 58 yrs old, never had the flu and I've never had a flu shot.

I've had bronchitis kick my azz a couple times, though.

Good grief, don't you know better than to say "never", particularly about your health?!  You better find some wood to knock on somewhere.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 04:43:42 AM »
I used to use that Zicam nasal spray, before they yanked it off the market claiming it destroyed the sense of smell or taste or something, and it did seem to put a quick end to common colds.  It does make sense, especially if they now know that's where the virus is concentrated, because the zinc supposedly did something that prevented the virus from being able to reproduce.  That allows your immune system to then quickly get the upper hand.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 07:53:58 AM »
I used to use that Zicam nasal spray, before they yanked it off the market claiming it destroyed the sense of smell or taste or something, and it did seem to put a quick end to common colds.  It does make sense, especially if they now know that's where the virus is concentrated, because the zinc supposedly did something that prevented the virus from being able to reproduce.  That allows your immune system to then quickly get the upper hand.

It is my understanding that they did not pull it, the FDA merely warned that prolonged use could reduce your sense of smell, and for most...a reduced sense of smell can alter taste.

It is still available - http://www.zicam.com/where-to-buy.php

There is Cold-EEZE too - http://www.coldeeze.com/where-to-buy/

I might give this a go this season...whenever I feel a sniffle coming on, zap the throat, see if I can stave it off.  I typically do not get the flu very often, as an adult anyway.  As a kid all we did was pass it around school and the house.  As an adult I think I have only had the stomach flu a few times and the respiratory flu a couple times.  IMO the respiratory one is more agony, not a fan of puking but it seems the stomach flu doesn't last as long or have the all-over body aches and hot/cold sweats like the respiratory one does.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.