Author Topic: The latest scheme to come out of Ted Turner's head is yet another scam  (Read 982 times)

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/turner-launches-native-plus-tv-ad-platform-2016-1

Plunging ratings?  Lets have longer commercials and make more ad revenue!  Hey, so we lose a few more million viewers here or there...

And best yet, think of all those "native" libiot messages we could flood the airwaves with!

Pretty sure it would send their industry into the tar pits...

Hope they are stupid enough to do it.   ::evil::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: The latest scheme to come out of Ted Turner's head is yet another scam
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 08:18:24 AM »
Again, I have to ask:  remember when we were told "pay TV" would be GREAT! because we wouldn't have to put up with commercials?

As if the current ads aren't bad enough, what with "hispanic" toddler has two White daddies, no fathers or ones that look like boobs, and the very best kind of ad -- one can't tell what is being sold without paying intense attention.  So, that there leaves me out.

Now, this crap.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 08:49:58 AM »
Aren't some of the devices that are supposed to get around ads experiencing some technical difficulties too?  Could be older tech not getting along with newer tech.  But I don't use any of the bells and whistles stuff, mostly because nothing is free and I am not paying any more.

In a few years I might not even connect via traditional avenues...or maybe no avenue at all!

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 10:22:03 AM »
So basically, he's going to make 3 min infomercials. No wonder I don't watch tv any more.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline richb

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 05:29:15 PM »
And yet the sit around wondering why people watch less and less broadcast tv............

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 05:55:42 AM »
It's why controlling internet content is going to increase exponentially...the statist cabal simply cannot keep people corralled on the MFM plantation if they have even one escape route.  But that is the problem with all totalitarians...they simply cannot cease all unsanctioned communication...they can make it more difficult, but they can never end it...their problem is that the truth always gets out and time always runs out against them...once the despise factor reaches critical mass their end is sealed.  Of course a lot of lives are lost in between, but that has never been a concern for the statist, the lust for power and control is too strong an elixir for them to give a damn.

Offline rustybayonet

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 07:30:58 AM »
Yup, you hear more and more people wondering why they have TV because of more commercials and crappy  shows.  Now for the past while I have been seeing increasing commercials appearing on my kindle, the internet, the cell phone and e-mail has become a magnet for ads.  It's making us read more books, do more jig-saw puzzles, and [ talk to one another more ::facepalm::, go figure].  Newspapers and magazines have become 'delivered ads' there is more ads than news.  Consiquently we cancelled newspaper [once in awhile buy the Sunday paper after church], and no longer take any magazines or buy them.  Our TV watching is limited to about 10-12 hours a week, mostly news, unless there is a sporting event I want to watch [ and those are full of commercials]. So I'm thinking of starting a "carrier pigeon service" but that will undoubtedly be the next outlet for those pesky ads.  As far as movies go; I used to buy the tape or DVD, but there are ads on those now, so movies better be something really good, or no sale.  Bottom line I guess, we are stepping back in time, sticking our head in the sand and letting the world go by, while enjoying the company of family and friends, instead of glued to some colored screen ---
All gave some -- Some gave all    Humbled to be one of the 33 original members of the Coast Guard Honor Guard, started in 1962.
 Today is the Tomorrow, we worried about Yesterday

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 07:55:07 AM »
Yeah those cellphone ones are really irritating...cannot even take a brief break and play a game of Backgammon without annoying ads on the side and a fat one obliterating the whole screen.  And worse yet is those ones that have the YouTube-like "timer" on them before you can nuke 'em.

When the grid goes none of that crap will be missed...it might even be blamed for part of its demise!