Author Topic: Devine Spark of Life?  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Devine Spark of Life?
« on: April 26, 2016, 08:39:58 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/04/26/bright-flash-of-light-marks-incredible-moment-life-begins-when-s/

The God-haters will have to insist it is not a Devine Spark, or everything they hold dear crashes down.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
Re: Devine Spark of Life?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 08:54:05 AM »
The God-haters will have to insist it is not a Devine Spark, or everything they hold dear crashes down.

Funny you should mention that.

The bright flash occurs because when sperm enters an egg it leads to a surge of calcium which triggers the release of zinc from the egg. As the zinc shoots out, it binds to small molecules which emit a fluorescence which can be picked up by camera microscopes.

No mention of what these "small molecules" would be. Maybe there's a reason for that?
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 09:16:39 AM »

Funny you should mention that.

The bright flash occurs because when sperm enters an egg it leads to a surge of calcium which triggers the release of zinc from the egg. As the zinc shoots out, it binds to small molecules which emit a fluorescence which can be picked up by camera microscopes.

No mention of what these "small molecules" would be. Maybe there's a reason for that?

I always found it odd why some in science have the compulsion to compete with the Almighty, seems to me they should get along...what's the harm Devine Intervention, eh?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 01:48:21 PM »
Yeah, it reminds me of an article I saw recently.  Apparently the pop-physicist Neil de Grasse Tyson was quoted as saying it is highly probable that the universe is a giant simulation.  He's not the first physicist to seriously suggest that our known universe is essentially a "simulation" or computer program.

The pop-sci media reports on this and gins up interest and discussion, they'll make TV shows about it on the Science channel, but why can't (or won't) they point out that this proposal is pretty much the exact same thing as saying the universe was created by God, and that He created all of its rules of order and operation too?

So "it's a computer simulation" meets with the approval of the chin-tugging crowd, but the equivalent assertion "it was all made by God" means one is backwards and gullible.

Me personally, I've never had any great difficulty reconciling science with belief in God.  Science is learning the order and operation of the universe via our human faculties.  The authorship of that order and operation is not put into doubt by this.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pablo de Fleurs

• Conservative Hero
  • @PesoNeto3
    • Apologetics Workshop
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 08:35:06 PM »
He's not the first physicist to seriously suggest that our known universe is essentially a "simulation" or computer program.

Hmm...seems to me, that idea has not only been thought of before...but extremely well marketed...

2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but of power & of love and of calm, a well-balanced mind, discipline and self-control.

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 07:02:41 AM »
Me personally, I've never had any great difficulty reconciling science with belief in God.  Science is learning the order and operation of the universe via our human faculties.  The authorship of that order and operation is not put into doubt by this.

Science requires the assumption that the Rules of the universe are deterministic and that no supernatural forces are messing with your lab experiments.
If God is creating miracles on a regular basis in your lab, you are likely to arrive at erroneous results. God, of course has better things to do, but many of the "Science is my Religion" crowd take the assumption that miracles are unlikely to  happen in the lab to the conclusion that they don't happen anywhere ever, and therefore there is no God.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 07:23:01 AM »

Science requires the assumption that the Rules of the universe are deterministic and that no supernatural forces are messing with your lab experiments.
If God is creating miracles on a regular basis in your lab, you are likely to arrive at erroneous results. God, of course has better things to do, but many of the "Science is my Religion" crowd take the assumption that miracles are unlikely to  happen in the lab to the conclusion that they don't happen anywhere ever, and therefore there is no God.

Funny, the people who cannot accurately predict the weather claim to have irrefutable proof of mankind's negative impact upon the planets entire ecosystem...

And people who think life is a common element in the universe cannot tell us what the universe is made up of (ie-dark matter/dark energy debate = mathematical construct...what people in Accounting call "a plug"!)...

Yeah, all miracles can be explained by science...except when they can't...

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 07:45:20 AM »

Yeah, all miracles can be explained by science...except when they can't...

But I have FAITH science will eventually explain these things.