Author Topic: Yet another Obama FU before leaving: banning more offshore drilling.  (Read 695 times)

Offline richb

• Established Member
The crap just keeps on coming as the final days of his regime finally run out.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/12/20/obama-bars-future-oil-leases-in-swaths-atlantic-arctic-oceans.html

Frankly Trump will have to spend a huge amount of his time undoing this stuff.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Yet another Obama FU before leaving: banning more offshore drilling.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 10:58:36 PM »
LOLOLOL....it was an executive action.....it has no teeth. Sure, there will be whiny enviromentalists, probably protesting naked, but I don't believe the protests of naked whiny liberals will matter to trump.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 08:03:53 AM »
I sense an enjoyable disturbance in the force...as if millions of butthurt progs cried out at once...

I'm pretty sure that is the future I sense.

:D
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 11:04:15 AM »
The ban relies on the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act of 1953, which says the president “may, from time to time, withdraw” federal waters from oil and gas development that are not already leased.

... Past presidents, including Dwight D. Eisenhower, have invoked the law to issue temporary bans. Obama’s action appears to be the first time the law has been used to impose a permanent drilling ban – and it is almost certain to be challenged.

A senior administration official said Tuesday that the White House was “quite confident” that the decision could not be undone by Trump, noting that the law specifies no provision for reversal. The official suggested that overturning the ban could require years of legal action and the passage of a bill in Congress.

Some oil industry leaders said they believed the next administration could easily reverse it. They cited a 2008 memorandum by President George W. Bush that lifted a temporary ban in certain offshore areas imposed by President Clinton.

... Under the 1953 law, a presidential order that explicitly states that it is intended to be permanent, and is designed to address an “articulated purpose,” would likely stand up to legal challenges, lawyers for two conservation groups, Earthjustice and the Natural Resources Defense Council, wrote in a legal brief on the issue last month.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-obama-offshore-drilling-20161220-story.html
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 11:45:15 AM »
Bullsh*t.  Trump can issue his own declaration, he can pardon anybody charged by any a-hole who dares charge them with anything and deploy military action to fend off Canadian boats if that pussy Trudeau aka Castro's bastard tries to interfere with our business!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.