Author Topic: Chuck Berry, 90  (Read 2058 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Chuck Berry, 90
« on: March 18, 2017, 10:39:37 PM »
90 is a dang good run...

! No longer available
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Chuck Berry, 90
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 05:32:57 PM »
A true original.

RIP

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 07:19:44 AM »
Heck of a good run!

R.I.P. Chuck, now you can rock the Pearly Gates!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 02:53:23 PM »
Here's a little something from our local (rock) arts writer. I was at a couple of these shows and my recollections of Chuck match Eric's. Chuck tended toward being a parsimonious performer - he opened the door to chaos by leaving it to the local promoter to throw together a backing band and then would ridicule or insult the band when they failed to meet Chuck's expectations (whatever they happened to be that day).

All that aside, he was truly a legend and I'm glad I got a chance to see him (several times).

Rest In Peace Chuck

Local musicians who backed Chuck Berry have electrifying memories
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/local-musicians-who-backed-chuck-berry-have-electrifying-memories/

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 06:48:27 AM »
https://youtu.be/ZFo8-JqzSCM

Still to this day one of the best and most recognizable opening riffs ever.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 12:43:32 PM »
https://youtu.be/ZFo8-JqzSCM

Still to this day one of the best and most recognizable opening riffs ever.

No kidding.

When I was playing I always knew that I could hold Johnny B. Goode as a "get out of the doldrums" card. Any time I saw that we were losing the audience I would strike that riff and the wimmenz would instantly be on their feet and ready to dance (or whatever).

In really shytty bands I wasn't adverse to pulling that one off twice in one night! (whatever I could get away with).

I also shamelessly ripped off this guys interpretation of JBG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nzna-QPmqM

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 07:28:17 PM »
I was always embarrassed for Judas Priest because of their pathetic cover of "Johnny B. Goode" from the "Ram It Down" album, as well as the soundtrack album for the movie "Johnny Be Good."

I get why they did it. Every musician who gets the opportunity to sell out has to weigh the consequences of losing credibility against the imminent payday. I'm sure being asked to produce the cover of this song for a movie starring Anthony Michael Hall and Robert Downey Jr. In 1988 was a temptation they didn't have to think about too hard. But it sure did suck.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2zxoGFjFJlk
Johnny Be Good IMDB
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:35:03 PM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 09:48:41 PM »
I was always embarrassed for Judas Priest because of their pathetic cover of "Johnny B. Goode" from the "Ram It Down" album, as well as the soundtrack album for the movie "Johnny Be Good."

I get why they did it. Every musician who gets the opportunity to sell out has to weigh the consequences of losing credibility against the imminent payday. I'm sure being asked to produce the cover of this song for a movie starring Anthony Michael Hall and Robert Downey Jr. In 1988 was a temptation they didn't have to think about too hard. But it sure did suck.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2zxoGFjFJlk
Johnny Be Good IMDB

Last year at one of the last bluegrass shows we put on I sat in with one of the bands. We had about fifteen minutes "rehearsal" and then we were on. This never scared me because I had always prided myself on being adaptable and creative.

We did a few songs and then the banjo player (who was the band leader) introduced me as a "guest performer" and asked me (out of the blue) to play Johnny B. Goode.

A bluegrass band. Acoustic instruments. I hadn't even had any beer!

Anyway, I gave a reasonable rendition, given the circumstances.

Oh yea, I got to sing as well and play the lead guitar part.

I'm not a singer - never pretended to be.

The audience of mostly senior citizens were appreciative and it was actually pretty well received. I still believe that the banjo player did it to sabotage me - didn't turn out like he imagined it would ;'}