Author Topic: Diet Soft Drinks: The Bad News  (Read 3887 times)

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
Diet Soft Drinks: The Bad News
« on: June 30, 2011, 08:45:14 AM »
LINK

If this is true (emphasis on "if") I am in big trouble.

When I was younger I drank regular soft drinks (Coke) to excess. Genetics and regular brushing of my teeth prevented any consequences for a very long time.

Then in my late twenties I started gaining weight. Not good. I didn't want to end up like Raptavio (even though I didn't know him at that time...lucky me), a diabetic blimp, so I had to change my lifestyle.

I switched to diet soft drinks. Which sucked because they mostly tasted like crap. (Noted exception was Diet Dr. Pepper)

Coke Zero came along a few years ago which was almost like the real thing. Yay!

Anyway, if this story is true I am going to have to break my diet soft drink habit and move to, ugh, water.

I will have to keep an eye on this.

In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Diet Soft Drinks: The Bad News
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:27:46 AM »
Screw that!

I like coke zero, I like regular coke too.  I bounce back and forth anyway between diet & regular sodas all the time anyway and my blood work keeps coming back good on all fronts so either I am an exception or these studies are bogus and only affect a small part of the population!

:P
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Janny

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 03:59:55 PM »
A lot of that article sounds like bunk. Most notably, they refer to aspartame, and not all sodas contain that anymore, and many of the ones that do have it blended with Sucralose and other artificial sweeteners.

Unless you are consuming a lot of it, as in more than one can or two a day, I wouldn't worry about it very much.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 04:24:19 PM »
I never could get used to the taste of aspartame. It ruins the flavor of everything it's in. I'd rather drink the real thing, or drink water.

I've always preferred Coca-Cola, and eschewed Pepsi. But I have to say, the "Throwback" Pepsi made with real sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup is really, really good.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 11:06:24 AM »
I prefer beer, which is healthier anyway.   ::beertoast::

People have been drinking beer for thousands of years before soda was invented.

Yeah, I know.  They're all dead now. 
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 11:43:47 AM »
If I was a mouse and sat around eating sugar, I'd get fat too. Get a cage with a wheel and we won't get fat.
Another study, another result. Something else that will kill me. Honestly, I discount all this crap anymore.

I drink Pepsi...I like Pepsi. I refuse to drink diet. If it rots my teeth I'll get new ones. If it makes me fat I'll exercise a little more.

When will someone label barack obama bad for my health.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 01:08:06 PM »
There have been so damned many reports over the years that go back and forth on this sort of crap that I don't care what the say anymore.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 02:12:18 PM »

Dentist told me it's the carbonic/carbolic acid and how much you drink is less important than how long.

In other words the longer one goes without rinsing the more the acid does its work.  One can all day long is worse than a 2 liter in one setting.  That's what he said.

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 03:28:18 PM »
The problem I have with these kind of articles and studies is this:  we don't get the complete perimeters of the study. We don't know what the controls were or the variables.

For one study, researchers at the center followed 474 diet soda drinkers, 65 to 74 years of age, for almost 10 years. They found that diet soda drinkers' waists grew 70 percent more than non-drinkers. Specifically, drinking two or more diet sodas a day busted belt sizes five times more than people who avoided the stuff entirely.

So they conclude that diet soda drinkers gain weight drinking the stuff.  But perhaps the conclusions is they would have gained even more weight had they not drank it.  So prove their conclusion they need to have the two group switch--the regular soda drinkers switch to diet and diet drinkers switch to regular.  Now wouldn't that be a headline. Regular soda drinkers lose weight! lol

And what of the regular drinkers? Were their waistlines a healthy size? Or just smaller?

I don't drink any kind of soda.  I like ice tea.  I just dislike studies that are presented in general terms but purport to
reveal some new useful information.
"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 04:06:43 PM »
I drink coffee.  Spritzed water when I have to drink water.  And red wine with ice.

Once in a great while, I'll have a cola on ice.

I'm with JF; I don't listen to any of this study crap anymore.  First eggs were bad, then they weren't; then coffee was, then it wasn't.  Loooong before than "butter was bad"; now the margarine is worse for you.

Feh.  Everything in moderation, and if one cannot moderate, well, then we all have to die from something.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 09:58:46 PM »
I don't drink any kind of soda.  I like ice tea.

I like iced tea, too, when I'm not drinking beer.  I've already posted this on an earlier thread, but I'll repeat my iced tea recipe here:

1.  Boil 1 gallon of water on the stove in a big pot.

2.  While you're waiting for the water to boil, get 16 regular-sized tea bags and cut off the strings and tags.  You can also use the large iced tea bags, in which case you'll need four of them.

3.  When it reaches a boil, turn off the heat and throw in the tea bags.  Stir with a slotted spoon and let them steep for 5 minutes.

4.  Fish out the tea bags and discard.  Cover the pot and let cool for an hour on the stove.

5.  Pour the tea into a gallon glass bottle with a spigot at the bottom.  Cover the bottle and place in the refrigerator.  It will take a few hours to cool fully.

Now you have a gallon of pure iced tea, and you can drink it any way you want.  You can pour it over a glass of ice and drink it straight, or add lemon and/or sugar.  But the best way is to add a shot of grape juice instead.  That's the secret ingredient.  Iced tea and grape juice is the most refreshing beverage in the world.  You only need a little grape juice; it adds both flavor and sweetness.

I learned about the grape juice from my parents, who got it from their parents.  So it's sort of an old family recipe.

A box of 50 tea bags costs around $3, which is enough for three batches.  I get spring water delivered in 5 gallon bottles, so a gallon costs $1.50.  A 48 or 64 oz. bottle of grape juice will last a long time if used in this manner.  Add in the energy needed for boiling the water, and the total cost is in the neighborhood of $3/gallon.  That's enough for at least ten 12 oz. glasses.  The stuff is nearly free!

For the last couple of years, I've been making it with green tea instead of the usual black tea.  Green tea is supposedly healthier than black tea.  I don't notice a difference in the flavor, since the grape juice tends to be dominant.

Once you get used to this, any kind of soda is icky by comparison.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 10:35:09 AM »

Iced tea in the summer.
Hot tea in the winter, also with a squeeze of lime, some cinnamon and honey is good.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 08:15:59 AM »
Thanks to Rush's Snapple kick, once upon a time, I tried diet iced tea.  To this day, Snapple or Lipton bottled diet tea remain the only diet drinks I can stand.

That being said, this is just junk science.  Common sense says people don't gain weight drinking 0 calorie drinks.

0 calories.  A clue for the aspiring Journo-Tard, in determing whether or not they've been played...again.

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 11:29:40 AM »
I, like most of you, think this study (among others) is total crap just for job justification. Gotta get those grants somehow. Coffee, water, tea, or beer here.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson