Author Topic: Sherwood Schwartz  (Read 3514 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Sherwood Schwartz
« on: July 12, 2011, 01:18:07 PM »
Sherwood Schwartz, Creator of 'Brady Bunch,' 'Gilligan's Island' dies

Sherwood Schwartz, writer-creator of two of the best-remembered TV series of the 1960s and 1970s, "Gilligan's Island" and "The Brady Bunch," has died at age 94.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
Re: Sherwood Schwartz
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 05:36:56 PM »
Sherwood Schwartz, Creator of 'Brady Bunch,' 'Gilligan's Island' dies

Sherwood Schwartz, writer-creator of two of the best-remembered TV series of the 1960s and 1970s, "Gilligan's Island" and "The Brady Bunch," has died at age 94.

RIP.  I was never a big Brady Bunch fan, but Gilligan's Island was a classic.  There's a reason why it's still being rerun all these years later.  It's held up very well, and the cast of characters have become cultural icons.

I remember an article in Liberty magazine (this one, not the older, more famous one) back in the 90s which depicted the show as an allegory for modern society and the characters as archetypes.  If it was written tongue-in-cheek, it was masterful satire.  If it was serious, it was just this side of insane, yet thought-provoking.  I'm not sure which was the case.  It doesn't seem to be in their web archive, or I'd link it.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 05:55:24 PM »
94 good life RIP.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 06:28:02 AM »
Yup, I'd call that a "good run"!

R.I.P. Sherwood.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 07:15:47 AM »
I wonder how many episodes multiplied by every person that's watched an episode, summed, compares to any other shows. 

RIP

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 04:06:33 AM »
I wonder if he caught John Lindsey's crabs from Florence Henderson .

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 11:00:33 AM »
I found this article by a man who wrote a serious book about Gilligan's Island.  The magazine article I referred to in my earlier comment may or may not have been an early version of it.

What ‘Gilligan’s Island’ creator Sherwood Schwartz was saying about democracy

In 2001, I published a book called “Gilligan Unbound: Pop Culture in the Age of Globalization.” I wrote that “Gilligan’s Island” reflected the political confidence of 1960s America in the midst of the Cold War. A representative group of Americans could be dropped anywhere on the planet and they would rule, creating a small-scale model of U.S. democracy and fending off a sampling of its enemies, from Soviet cosmonauts to a Japanese soldierstill fighting World War II to a Latin American dictator.

Gilligan is the perfect democratic hero because he has no claims to superiority. The Professor has wisdom; the Millionaire has money and social status; the Skipper has a kind of military authority as captain. Gilligan is the pure common man. And, of course, the only time the castaways hold an election, he is chosen as president. Throughout the series, Gilligan represents the triumph of the ordinary over the extraordinary.
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 11:16:18 AM »
Jeepers. And all this time I thought Gilligan was just a bumbling fool with a questionable-at-best relationship with a dominant burly-master. We never got to see what went on in that hut when the cameras weren't rolling.

::thinking::
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 11:33:58 AM »
Jeepers. And all this time I thought Gilligan was just a bumbling fool with a questionable-at-best relationship with a dominant burly-master. We never got to see what went on in that hut when the cameras weren't rolling.

(snerk) he said "little buddy" (snerk)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 11:54:49 AM »

(snerk) he said "little buddy" (snerk)

Maybe he was really saying "Little Butty".
 ::exitstageleft::

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 11:45:22 PM »
~ Ann Barnhardt

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 08:46:30 AM »

The same thing that went on between Marsha and Greg?  ::thinking::

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 05:14:21 AM »

The same thing that went on between Marsha and Greg?  ::thinking::

Crabs !

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 06:41:27 AM »
 ::laughonfloor::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 07:21:57 AM »
So THAT was where Marsha Marsha Marsha originated from...as Greg was jumping up and down, scratching himself.  ::thinking::