Author Topic: We just had an earthquake ....  (Read 5656 times)

charlesoakwood

Re: We just had an earthquake ....
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2011, 04:44:24 PM »

"sane jury": That's sort of oxymoronic tain't it.

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2011, 08:27:58 PM »
My mother called to ask if I was OK. ::kissface::
Cool ::beertoast::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2011, 08:44:48 PM »

"sane jury": That's sort of oxymoronic tain't it.

I knew as soon as I wrote it that that would generate a comment!

Thanks for not disappointing me!

There's always one flaw in any strategy!

Caveat Emptor!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline rickl

• Established Member
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2011, 10:17:35 PM »
It's what generations of liberal nanny-statism hath wrought, a sad collection of humanity so dependent on government that when left to their own devices -- however briefly -- everything is a crisis.

What a wake-up call these people have coming!

Nah, I think it was the media that was driving most of the hysteria, as usual.  This quake affected Washington, DC, which to the MBM is the center of the universe.

You also have to consider that most of the people who felt this quake have never felt one before, including me.  And it was felt over an enormous area compared to California quakes.  Fractured and fault-riddled rocks don't propagate quakes over large areas.  California quakes tend to be more localized.

But no one I've talked to was frightened or panicked by it.  Yesterday it was an exciting novelty, but we knew we were never in danger.  Today we were joking about it.

Likewise, the local weather forecasters around here tend to portray every snow flurry as the Blizzard of the Century.  It's become a running joke.  I have a friend who works in the newsroom at a local Philly TV station, and to hear him tell it, many of the employees regard it as a joke too.  It's all about ratings.  You get more ratings with drama, hype, and hysteria than you do by providing rational commentary and solid information.

---

As I said, I've never felt an earthquake before in my life.  Here is the sequence of events from yesterday:

I was taking a smoke break and sitting in my parked car, listening to the radio.  The car began shaking, but only mildly.  It wasn't violent.  I guessed right away that it was an earthquake.  I assumed it was one of the tiny magnitude 2 or 3 quakes that sometimes happen around here.  I occasionally hear about them on the local news but I've never felt one.

I went back inside the building.  I was about to mention it when I heard two of my co-workers talking.  One said that she thought there had been an earthquake.  She felt the room shake, and the plastic vertical blinds on the window rattled.  The other guy had been out in the shop, where presses and machinery were running.  He didn't notice anything and was laughing at the woman until I said, "Yeah, I felt it too".

I went online and went straight to the U.S. Geological Survey website.  I figured that it would be the best place to get information about a small local quake, rather than a media site.  That's when I found out that it was a 5.8 quake in Virginia, and all the news sites began to report it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:21:40 PM by rickl »
We are so far past and beyond the “long train of abuses and usurpations” that the Colonists and Founders experienced and which necessitated the Revolutionary War that they aren’t even visible in the rear-view mirror.
~ Ann Barnhardt

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2011, 12:52:08 AM »
I've only been in two earthquakes - both "rollers".

One happened when I was at home with Random. This one came on real gradual. I've lived around boats all my life and it felt like getting caught in the wake of a passing boat. The floor just began rising and falling, very slowly, almost gently. Random, who was only three at the time, was being bounced like on a trampoline. It was strong enough to lift her right off her feet and I needed to brace myself a couple of times to maintain my balance. I believe this one was a 5.3

In the other one I was driving and suddenly it appeared like a tire was going flat. My van was wandering all over the road. I pulled over to the curb and stopped only to discover that it wasn't my van that was wandering but the road itself. It lasted about 90 seconds and then was gone. This was the notorious "Nisqually quake" that logged in at 6.8 and wreaked havoc with the Seattle historic district.

Fun stuff