Author Topic: Walking Dead  (Read 33743 times)

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
Walking Dead
« on: October 17, 2011, 02:12:35 PM »
OK. AMC hit Walking Dead had its season premier Sunday nite. Wondered if there were any other dead heads who enjoy the series.

Personally, I believe the series is close to real life, as if there is choas on day, there will be millions of brain dead zombies walking the earth.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Walking Dead
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 02:19:50 PM »
We watched, too.  Been waiting for the new season.

Was I the only one hollering, at the traffic jam, for somebody to hurry up and get on top of the RV with binocs and a gun?
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 02:26:25 PM »
I turned off my TV a few years ago so I don't watch any of the TV-related programs unless I stumble across something in NetFlix that looks interesting. Just got so darn tired of paying subscription/cable fees, having 120 channels and only ever watching 2-3.

However, I assume that since y'all are posting here about this particular show that it could well be alright. I'll have to poke around NetFlix and see if it's there.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 02:28:10 PM »
I turned off my TV a few years ago so I don't watch any of the TV-related programs unless I stumble across something in NetFlix that looks interesting. Just got so darn tired of paying subscription/cable fees, having 120 channels and only ever watching 2-3.

However, I assume that since y'all are posting here about this particular show that it could well be alright. I'll have to poke around NetFlix and see if it's there.

If you like zombies getting their heads caved in, its the show for you..... ::whoohoo:: ::hysterical::

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 02:42:20 PM »
So, I found it on NetFlix and went ahead and added it to my queue. I'll see what all the hubbub is about.  :D
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 03:54:30 PM »
I don't do much boob-toob either.

So I checked out Walking Dead at: http://www.amctv.com/shows/the-walking-dead

Other than a lot of yak-yak padding it's been bloody good fun  ;D

Edit: altard-proofed

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 04:22:54 PM »
We watched every episode of season one, and caught season 2 opener last night. I've always been a huge fan of the George Romero style zombie flicks, and this series seems to me like a character-driven serial version of the same genre in the same style. For the most part, we like it a lot.

Because it's a series, it moves a little slower than a feature film. But as in all good zombie movies, what this show really is, is a depiction of human behavior and interaction once the fabric of society is blown to smithereens - the zombies and the gore are just a gratuitous backdrop for the human drama.

One gripe about the season 2 opener: they advertised it as a "90 minute special event". It was really just a slightly extended episode with a helluva lot more commercials.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 04:48:51 PM »
We watched every episode of season one, and caught season 2 opener last night. I've always been a huge fan of the George Romero style zombie flicks, and this series seems to me like a character-driven serial version of the same genre in the same style. For the most part, we like it a lot.

Because it's a series, it moves a little slower than a feature film. But as in all good zombie movies, what this show really is, is a depiction of human behavior and interaction once the fabric of society is blown to smithereens - the zombies and the gore are just a gratuitous backdrop for the human drama.

One gripe about the season 2 opener: they advertised it as a "90 minute special event". It was really just a slightly extended episode with a helluva lot more commercials.

I noticed a development of the characters over last year. Some decent storylines as far as characters. I DVR'ed and watched later, so I missed the commercials.....on purpose.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 08:17:39 PM »
I think I spotted some zombies on the CNN debate stage tonight!

::rimshot::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 12:50:16 AM »
I think I spotted some zombies on the CNN debate stage tonight!

::rimshot::

The walking dead......

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 01:18:39 AM »
OK. AMC hit Walking Dead had its season premier Sunday nite. Wondered if there were any other dead heads who enjoy the series.

Personally, I believe the series is close to real life, as if there is choas on day, there will be millions of brain dead zombies walking the earth.

Just this past week I watched the entire first season on Netflix.  Fantastic show.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 07:02:22 AM »
Anyone who's a fan of the genre needs to see the George Romero/Tom Savini 1990 remake of the original "Night of the Living Dead", starring Tony Todd (Candyman, Star Trek the Next Generation/Star Trek DS9) as "Ben", and Patricia Tallman (Babylon5, Jurassic Park as Laura Dern's stunt-double) as Barbara.

It is faithful to the original in every important aspect. The storyline is essentially exactly the same, with better acting, better special effects, and better filmmaking. They even use the original dialogue in key areas, and George Romero wrote the screenplay based on his original. They even give a hat-tip to the often contemplated "they're so slow, you could just walk through them" critique of the genre, by having Barbara just say it outright, and then do it, as she moves slowly through a sparse pack of zombies, just pushing them away from her as she moves forward. But of course, as always, the horde wins in the end through sheer numbers.

Highly recommended. Also highly recommended is the George Romero "Dawn of the Dead" remake starring Sarah Polley and Ving Rhames, although this one bears much less resemblance to its original - and the zombies are fast.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Delnorin

• Free Speech While It Lasts
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 07:05:26 AM »
Fast Zombies suck.

No.. not Vampiric Zombies.. that would make sense they'd be fast. :)

But come on... some laws are not supposed to be broken.

Zombies=Sheer Numbers and needing to destroy their brain... it's bad enough when there are 1000's of them and only you with 30 rounds of ammo and a baseball bat.

Making them fast too?  LAME!
Jumping the Shark

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 07:27:23 AM »
Fast Zombies suck.

No.. not Vampiric Zombies.. that would make sense they'd be fast. :)

But come on... some laws are not supposed to be broken.

Zombies=Sheer Numbers and needing to destroy their brain... it's bad enough when there are 1000's of them and only you with 30 rounds of ammo and a baseball bat.

Making them fast too?  LAME!
Jumping the Shark

Have you seen the 2004 "Dawn of the Dead" remake? Or how about "28 Days Later" and "28 Weeks Later"? Fast zombies. And IMHO, some of the best zombie flicks ever made.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 07:29:32 AM »
You just gotta have more ammo.

;D

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 07:36:38 AM »

;D

Or... you could be "Alice" in the Resident Evil flicks, and carry twin revolvers that never run out.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 07:40:21 AM »

;D

Or... you could be "Alice" in the Resident Evil flicks, and carry twin revolvers that never run out.

Mmm, Alice.  The revolvers would be nice too.

ETA -

[Imagine a picture here of a hot chick with two big revolvers]
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 08:47:46 AM by Libertas »

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 07:52:40 AM »
No pic shows up...

::thinking::

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 08:41:15 AM »
Did that work?

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 08:45:58 AM »
Did that work?

Nope, still can't see it. There's a blank box where the picture tries to load, but when the page fully loads, even the blank box goes away.

But that's OK. I know what Alice looks like...

::pimp:: ::pimp:: ::pimp:: ::pimp:: ::pimp:: ::pimp:: ::pimp::

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 08:51:20 AM by IronDioPriest »

- Thomas Jefferson