Author Topic: Is the EU Going to Topple?  (Read 104533 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Is the EU Going to Topple?
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 07:28:14 AM »
Don't worry, just buy some of Turbo Timmy's Magic Elixir - Hopey/Changey T-Floaters for everyone!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 11:21:38 AM »
Italian Government on brink of collapse

Silvio Berlusconi’s centre-right coalition government in Italy appears in danger of collapsing over European Union demands for a demonstration of concrete action on economic reform by Wednesday’s summit of eurozone leaders.

The EU growing dimmer by the minute

While the stakes are exceedingly high, expectations for bold and swift action are dim. It took three months for comparatively modest crisis measures announced in July to be approved by all 17 euro area governments.

Some experts have already dismissed Wednesday's meeting as a prelude to the Group of 20 summit in early November, when the world's most powerful leaders will gather in Cannes, France, to discuss economic affairs, among other things.

"We have no confidence at all that the various proposed strategies will provide any effective fix for Europe's ills," said Ian Gordon, an analyst at investment bank Evolution Securities in London.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 11:40:41 AM »
The EU's demise is inevitable. And the idiots in power here can't see we're headed the down the same hole. ::lalanotlistening::
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 12:18:10 PM »
And now some leftist idiot in the Vatican is calling for one world-body to police the world's finances.  Which is typical of leftists - the EU is a stinking failure so we should do it again only bigger.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 12:40:26 PM »
People are failing to properly manage their decline, maybe we can export Obama to them, that'd be a nice two-fer!

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 04:32:01 PM »
Losing the Economic Battle: The global debt apocalypse approaches.

A year ago, senior European officials never dreamed they’d be in their current mess. Greece represents only 3 percent of the Eurozone economy. Bailout tricks and clever central bank interventions were supposed to calm nervous markets. That happened, but didn’t last. A powerful global financial market brought officials to their knees. Today, many European policymakers can’t believe America is risking a similar outcome. True, as a means of protection the Fed itself will try to manipulate credit markets by keeping long-term interest rates artificially low. But global financial markets will simply penalize bank stocks, a phenomenon that may result in a credit contraction and double dip recession.

This losing battle has already contributed to global public debt-to-GDP ratios that boggle the mind. We may be saving our banks, but we’re losing our economy.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 07:23:27 AM »
Kinda like autoerotic asphyxia, eh?

::rimshot::

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
  • "No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did;
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 10:24:45 AM »
Dispatch: Divergent Views of the EU and Russia in the Baltic States

"Analyst Eugene Chausovsky, currently visiting Riga, Latvia, explores the different approaches taken by Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania toward relations with Russia and the European Union."
Watch the Video »

http://www.stratfor.com/analysis/20111026-dispatch-divergent-views-eu-and-russia-baltic-states?utm_source=freelist-f&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=111027&utm_term=sweekly&utm_content=watchvideo&elq=5515f4d602bb47229ea595f78800f246

Intellectually speaking: ::whatgives::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 11:19:23 AM »
I like the Lithianian approach to Russia.

Too bad we cannot strengthen ties with them, as soon as Europe implodes this will be among the first nations the Russian Bear devours...

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 06:20:31 PM »
http://pjmedia.com/vodkapundit/2011/10/26/euro-disunification/?singlepage=true

Dr. Pippa Malmgren, a former economic advisor to George W. Bush and a former advisor to Deutsche Bank (DB). According to Malmgren, Germany has already ordered the printing of Deutsche Marks in anticipation of a possible withdrawal from the EU.

Of course, this could simply be, 'being ready for any eventuality'. But - printing money isn't exactly cheap and I seriously doubt that a government would be doing this unless they had good reason to think that there was a decent chance of having to use it...
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2011, 07:08:54 AM »
Sometimes preparing for the worst is justified...but on matters of this scale sometimes it can be a self-fullfilling prophecy too.

We'll find out soon enough...

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2011, 06:25:29 PM »
Sometimes preparing for the worst is justified...but on matters of this scale sometimes it can be a self-fullfilling prophecy too.

I don't know if one can even prepare for this much crap.I'm at I hope I have enough stage.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2011, 09:07:52 AM »
Quote from: Libertas link=topic=3449.msg41120#msg 41120 date=1320408534
Sometimes preparing for the worst is justified...but on matters of this scale sometimes it can be a self-fulfilling prophecy too.

I listened to Glenn Beck, started stocking up on food and water. Also last year bought my first gun, never thought I needed one until "RECENTLY" It is a 9 mm Glock. The other day I saw a Ruger online cheap, 380 weighs 9 ounces, bought it. It will be perfect in my pocket. Boy, how times have changed. I am over 60 and have health problems, can't protect like I used to but, still one Hell of a scrapper if need be, for about 3-5 minute give or take.

Didn't do this for me, or my Wife, we have had a good life, exciting at least. It is for my Son, and his Family, still protective and want to see them have a chance to grab the brass ring. Every single American should have that chance. I will fight like the dickens to help insure that, even with a scumbag like Barack Obama trying to take away that brass ring.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2011, 11:56:09 AM »
Didn't do this for me, or my Wife, we have had a good life, exciting at least. It is for my Son, and his Family, still protective and want to see them have a chance to grab the brass ring. Every single American should have that chance. I will fight like the dickens to help insure that, even with a scumbag like Barack Obama trying to take away that brass ring.

::clapping::

Amen JP!

- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline jpatrickham

• A Regular
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2011, 09:27:19 AM »
Europe, the International System and a Generational Shift

By George Friedman

November 8, 2011

"Change in the international system comes in large and small doses, but fundamental patterns generally stay consistent. From 1500 to 1991, for example, European global hegemony constituted the world’s operating principle. Within this overarching framework, however, the international system regularly reshuffles the deck in demoting and promoting powers, fragmenting some and empowering others, and so on. Sometimes this happens because of war, and sometimes because of economic and political forces. While the basic structure of the world stays intact, the precise way it works changes.

The fundamental patterns of European domination held for 500 years. That epoch of history ended in 1991, when the Soviet Union — the last of the great European empires — collapsed with global consequences. In China, Tiananmen Square defined China for a generation. China would continue its process of economic development, but the Chinese Communist Party would remain the dominant force. Japan experienced an economic crisis that ended its period of rapid growth and made the world’s second-largest economy far less dynamic than before. And in 1993, the Maastricht Treaty came into force, creating the contemporary European Union and holding open the possibility of a so-called United States of Europe that could counterbalance the United States of America."

Read more »http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20111107-europe-international-system-and-generational-shift?utm_source=freelist-f&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20111108&utm_term=gweekly&utm_content=readmore&elq=cf179edde956457ca5697b9ed461b931

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2011, 09:37:13 PM »
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/nov/09/european-debt-crisis-eurozone-breakup

European debt crisis spiralling out of control. Reports that Germany and France have begun talks to break up the eurozone amid fears that Italy will be too big to rescue

http://www.cnbc.com/id/45225209

Italian 10-year bond yields shot above the 7 percent level that is widely deemed unsustainable, reflecting investors' concerns that they may not get their money back and prompting German Chancellor Angela Merkel to issue a call to arms.

Merkel said Europe's plight was now so "unpleasant'' that deep structural reforms were needed quickly, warning the rest of the world would not wait.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/45224770

Italy's debt woes signal "a new, even more dangerous phase in Europe's debt crisis," Mohamed El-Erian, co-chief investment officer at PIMCO, said Wednesday.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/45228690

"It's not just Italy. The contagion is spreading. They've got to stop this," said Marc Chandler, Brown Brothers Harriman chief currency strategist. "The French bond spread to the German bund is at a new high. Three month Libor is at its highest level in more than a year... All of this is showing rising tensions."

- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 07:04:35 AM »
Another link -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/nov/09/european-debt-crisis-eurozone-breakup

To big to save!

::hysterical::

Somebody send that to Obama, quick!

::hysterical::

And wtf does this really mean?

"That will mean more Europe, not less Europe,''

Huh?  Is Merkel making a play for Queen of Europe?

Looks like the Old World could descend into anarchy and depostism quicker than we!

They got a track record, ya know?!

charlesoakwood

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 10:17:45 AM »

It's a race to the bottom for sure.

If not queen, she wants Germany to be at the top of the heap.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2011, 10:39:22 AM »
A lot of the text in the stories I've been reading about this topic lately seem to have elements of; 'Germany wanting to rule over all of Europe through the EU'. Maybe that is Germany's end game - but this seems so unstable right now that I have doubts that Germany will ever be able to make that happen before the whole house of cards tumbles.
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

charlesoakwood

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2011, 11:01:21 AM »

Old genetic fears and the knowledge that Germany
is the most disciplined and stable country on the continent.

and they still know how to make things