Author Topic: Occupy movement still depicted as 'good' by the media  (Read 3763 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
Occupy movement still depicted as 'good' by the media
« on: November 10, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/10/hard-hitting-wapo-coverage-occupy-d-c-mob-has-created-a-vibrant-brand-of-urbanism/

Whether the Occupy movement, which has taken over parks in cities across the country, fizzles or grows, whether it has resonance and can translate its message into concrete change, are political questions. But looked at solely as an aesthetic and cultural phenomenon, it has deep roots in ideas with established pedigrees in the world of art and architecture. Its anti-consumerist ethos, its impatience with the media and its love of theatrical intervention in city life make it a direct heir of the Situationists, a radical European avant-garde collective begun in the late 1950s with ideas that remain influential today…

But the Occupy movement has also brought into the heart of the nation’s capital something even more haunting, what might be called the “urban uncanny.” Some of the most cherished cities in the world, including Vienna, owe their early development in part to the encampments set up by occupying Roman soldiers. Other major metropolitan areas, such as Port-au-Prince and New Orleans, devolved more or less into camps after disasters struck. The urban encampment hints at the beginning and the end of urban life, its nascence and dissolution. It’s a powerful display, a mix of both admonition and promise, suggesting not only that we could all be homeless but that we could also live better, differently, more communally.

So now the Occupy imbeciles are being likened to some sort of superior cultural renaissance with the ability to create; 'Some of the most cherished cities in the world' like 'Vienna', for example. These truly unwashed masses are so wonderful in fact that their influence will manifest as sublimely awesome for generations to come...according to the Washington Post.

How much you wanna bet I can still find a recent story somewhere by the Washington Post that paints the Tea Party as racist NAZIs out to destroy the country by any means necessary?
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: Occupy movement still depicted as 'good' by the media
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 07:19:04 PM »
No bets.

What the WaPo idiots do not realize is the "the Revolution" eats its children FIRST.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 10:54:15 PM »
Chaos theory applies.  MFMer's and Dem pol's are just stupid enough to think all is in their control.  Can't wait to ask "how's that workin' out for ya?"!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 03:49:24 AM »
They won't think it's so funny when OWSers protest outside of Sotheby's while Andrea Mitchell is inside bidding on some high-end item !

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 06:29:25 AM »
Heh, yeah, it'll be another end of sorts getting it!

::laughonfloor::

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 09:42:04 AM »
http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/19/proof-that-ows-is-winning/

The final question I had, though, was more related to the timing of this “scoop” being released. What if it had been something significant, rather than just a K-Street marketing pitch? Hayes was flogging this on Twitter as early as Friday morning, so how long had he had the memo in his possession? 24 hours before that? 48? News coverage doesn’t simply inform the public in a situation like this… it can also affect conditions on the ground. What if this news carried some real significance which might have altered peoples views on it? (Both the protesters and the police.)

Might getting some news out early have stopped some of the attacks on police in New York? Could it have avoided the latest rape in St. Louis? Wouldn’t you want to get that news right out to the public as soon as possible given the fast moving nature of these protests? Why would you sit on it for several days if you’d already confirmed that it was authentic?

Or was it less news than something to gin up some buzz to attract ratings for a relatively new show? Either way, this breaking story was less rock star and more air guitar.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 09:13:48 AM »
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-bozell/2011/11/22/bozell-column-pouncing-pepper-spray

Americans awoke Monday morning to all three TV networks spreading the latest viral video of the OWS publicity team showing police pepper-spraying seated student protesters in the face. Leftist students in Davis had linked arms and refused to move despite repeated warnings from campus police to clear out. They were determined to encourage police action. Protests are designed to gain publicity. Publicity demands conflict. Publicity demands egging on the police to engage the disobedient.

They needed to be victimized by police “brutality.” They wanted desperately to be pepper-sprayed. They needed to regain the narrative.

The liberal media delivered. As the coverage piled up, the campus cops with the spray and their chief were placed on administrative leave. Still, the campus erupted in demands that chancellor Katehi resign, even as she denounced the police’s actions as horrible. If anyone spoke up against the protesters, you’d never know it. The media were silent on that front.

- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2011, 10:10:56 AM »
Give them more rope.

;)

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 03:35:36 AM »
No bets.

What the WaPo idiots do not realize is the "the Revolution" eats its children FIRST.

If they camped out in front of , for instance , Dana Millbank's house and the houses of other WaPo staffers , they'd change their damned tune in a hurry !

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 10:59:23 AM »
I guess I'll put this here even though it isn't so much about media bias as it is about government bias. Still, this seems to be the most logical thread (to me) for this story to be I guess.

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/26/la-mayor-tells-occupiers-to-hit-the-road/
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/11/occupy-la-police-mayor.html

The city of Los Angeles has had the most laid-back response to the Occupy protests, despite calls for a French Revolution-style uprising at City Hall.  Last week, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa even offered the Occupiers a deal that would have given them farmland, 10,000 square feet of office space, their name above the title, and three gross points and some back-end merchandising revenues, or something.  After that deal got rejected, the Mayor has another message for the Occupiers: Don’t call us, babe, we’ll call you.

I have to wonder what kind of deal the TEA Party would get under similar circumstances. My guess is: None - unless it came at the end of a billy club or water hose. But because this is a liberal group the government bends over backwards to give them every possible thing under the sun...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 11:21:39 AM by BMG »
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 11:20:54 AM »
Why African Americans aren’t embracing Occupy Wall Street

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-blacks-arent-embracing-occupy-wall-street/2011/11/16/gIQAwc3FwN_story.html?wprss=rss_opinions

Let me just stop right there for a second and point something out. When 'African' Americans (or rather, Black Americans since none of them are from Africa these days), didn't 'embrace' the TEA Party it was the TEA Party that was racist. And now, when Black Americans aren't 'embracing' the Occupy movement it is the fault of the Black Americans...as implied by the very title of this piece.

Anyway, I digress...sort of:

“Occupy Wall Street was started by whites and is about their concern with their plight,” Nathalie Thandiwe, a radio host and producer for WBAI in New York, said in an interview. “Now that capitalism isn’t working for ‘everybody,’ some are protesting.”

Oh wait, seems like it isn't a subtle implication after all...because right here in the body of the story we see that Black Americans aren't 'embracing' the Occupy Movement because the Occupy movement is a white thing...so it is, in fact, because the Black Americans are racist. Oh, but when the tables were turned and we were discussing the TEA Party it was the TEA Party that was racist...

And then a bit later in the piece we're treated to this quaint notion:

New Jersey comedian John “Alter Negro” Minus says he won’t participate in the Occupy protests because black people are being besieged by so many social injustices, he can’t get behind targeting just the 1 percent.

So you see, it's still not that the Occupy Movement is at all racists. Oh no, now it's the same old meme: the WHOLE country is racist against Black Americans...even though you could bet your last dollar that if this piece was instead about the TEA Party it would have been all about how racist the TEA Party is.

So after reading this drivel I'm torn between trying to figure out if this 'author' is pointing the finger at Black Americans and saying they are racist for not being involved in the Occupy Movement or if it is the entire country that is racist or is it both? The 'author' seems to be flailing about in an effort to say anything except that the Occupy Movement is in fact, racist for not having more Black American involvement as the media constantly says about the TEA Party.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 11:26:12 AM by BMG »
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

charlesoakwood

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 12:19:08 PM »

Lack of participation in either demonstration illustrates their
virtual total lack of integration into American society.
They do not see either group, OWS or the Tea Party as rep-
resenting their interest.

There is a proportional break down as in - each person at the
demonstration is indicative of x number of citizens not there
who support that position.   The hundreds of people at OWS
represents x number of citizens who hold that sentiment.
And the hundreds of thousands at Tea Party represents x
number of citizens who hold that particular sentiment.

Equally, the number of blacks at each event represent and
estimated number of black citizens who hold those sentiments.
The FBI, and maybe Rasmussen, has those numbers but they
aren't going to tell.

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 11:15:17 AM »
I guess I might as well put this here since it's closely related - if it isn't the media carrying water for the communists it seems that the government is more than happy to oblige by ignoring laws for their preferred group and applying those same laws to everybody else (as in the case of the Richmond TEA Party audit and whatnot).

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/29/evicted-ows-protesters-not-so-evicted/

I suppose you’ve got reason to feel “festive” if you’re able to defy a lawful order from the authorities and suffer no consequences for your actions.It’s likely not a coincidence that the mayors of Philadelphia and L.A (Michael Nutter and Antonio Villaraigosa respectively) are both individuals who made a point of expressing support for the occupiers in the early days, seeking to draw on their expected populist appeal to bolster their own standing with progressives. (In the case of Villaraigosa, he’s gone so far as to try to buy them off with prime business real estate and farmland.) After that, I suppose you look even worse when you send in the cops with confrontational riot control techniques.
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 03:59:09 PM »
I guess I might as well put this here since it's closely related - if it isn't the media carrying water for the communists it seems that the government is more than happy to oblige by ignoring laws for their preferred group and applying those same laws to everybody else (as in the case of the Richmond TEA Party audit and whatnot).

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/29/evicted-ows-protesters-not-so-evicted/

I suppose you’ve got reason to feel “festive” if you’re able to defy a lawful order from the authorities and suffer no consequences for your actions.It’s likely not a coincidence that the mayors of Philadelphia and L.A (Michael Nutter and Antonio Villaraigosa respectively) are both individuals who made a point of expressing support for the occupiers in the early days, seeking to draw on their expected populist appeal to bolster their own standing with progressives. (In the case of Villaraigosa, he’s gone so far as to try to buy them off with prime business real estate and farmland.) After that, I suppose you look even worse when you send in the cops with confrontational riot control techniques.

From the LA Times link found at the HotAir link:

Lafferty said city officials {Antonio Villaraigosa - P} have offered protesters a $1-a-year lease on a 10,000-square-foot office space near City Hall. He said officials also promised land elsewhere for protesters who wish to farm, as well as additional housing for the contingent of homeless people who joined the camp.

O rly.  To whom does the office space belong and who is going to pony up for the rest of the lease money so these grifters can produce nothing but agitation and squalor in 10,000 square feet?  And who owns the farmland?

What a freakin' joke.  These people are Cloward-Pivening other Cloward-Piveners and the normal taxpayers have to be getting a clue by now they're being played.  And looted.  Again.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 10:11:36 PM »
Another example of how the Rule of Law is now meaningless. Assuming the city owns the aforementioned office space, is there not a statute governing municipal charters that obligates them to seek fair market value for the dispensation of public property? Little one stoplight towns in the middle of BFE can't sell on old police car without advertising in advance, holding an auction for highest bid, and so on. Yet here we have a major metropolis just deciding on a whim that it will placate a bunch of leftist rabble with OPM. 

Or maybe it's not even city-owned office space?  Pperhaps we're simply to the point where the city dictates that its private owner lease it for $1?  Neither of these possibilities comes as a surprise anymore.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Sectionhand

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 04:35:13 AM »
Just as a side note , I was watching a video report yesterday of the LAPD walking around the "Occupy" site on the "lawn" of the L.A. City Hall . Excuse me , but after two months of "occupation" there isn't a blade of grass left on that "lawn" ... only dirt ... which will turn to mud if they get a good down-pour (which I'm hoping for) . All of which leads me to wonder how many of those "Occupy" a$$holes consider themselves "Green" .

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 07:23:23 AM »
The only thing "green" about this filth SH is their envy of others and their possessions!

Here's a link on the raids at the illegal camps in LA & Philly -

http://news.yahoo.com/police-la-philly-raid-occupy-camps-112358365.html

I know it's just me being me, but I sure would like to see that tree cut down, get those clowns down toot sweet!   ;D

Click on the "photo" link of this article to see heart-warming pics of OWS losers being rounded up -

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/11/occupy-la-police-load-protesters-onto-buses-headed-for-jail.html

Wearing hazmat gear sure is nice, this bunch is disgustingly filthy and vile!  Handle with care!  And beware the spewers!

Still too much trash hanging around, time for the water-cannons.  Have you ever seen so many losers in so small a space?  Usually you have to go to the Democrat Nat'l convention or a large university to see this much concentrated stupid!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 10:00:20 AM »
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 08:02:55 PM »
And everybody to the right of trash should have a copy of this in their pocket whenever a moron tries to equate the Tea Party and OWS losers!

The scales are far from equal!!!