Author Topic: Hey, a little Iodine-131 never hurt anybody!  (Read 1459 times)

Offline BMG

• Established Member
Hey, a little Iodine-131 never hurt anybody!
« on: November 11, 2011, 08:57:42 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/nuke-agency-reports-unusual-radiation-europe-134506410.html

VIENNA (AP) — The U.N. nuclear agency is reporting "very low" — but higher than usual — levels of radiation in the Czech Republic and elsewhere in Europe.

The International Atomic Energy Agency says the "very low levels of iodine-131 have been measured in the atmosphere over the Czech Republic" and elsewhere on the continent.

Its statement on Friday said the current levels do not seem to pose a public health risk.

IAEA says the cause is not known, but it is not the result of Japan's Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster, which spread radiation across the globe in March.

The agency says the radioisotope will lose much of its radiation in about eight days and that the agency is investigating.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
- Tacitus

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
Re: Hey, a little Iodine-131 never hurt anybody!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 09:20:29 AM »
Yeah,  that is fascinating that.

I bet France has a reactor with problems and they vented, and given their population would turn against Nuclear energy in a second, decided better than to say anything.
Trust the government. They will tell you if there is a danger. They are all knowing and all seeing.  Have faith in them to protect you.

Or buy a Geiger counter Back in stock now.  You can also get recalibrated CD survey meters  for about the same price. And yes, you need a supply of KI pills, so  you can take some if that Iodine-131  is flying over your head in a significant concentration. 

Or you can rely on radiation tracking sites like the one at Black Cat - but there is no guarantee they will stay up and active if the government wont them shut down.  For what its worth, the blackcat map isn't showing anything unusual in Europe, but they don't have a participating detector in the Czech republic either.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 09:40:15 AM »
I don't trust the IAEA as far as I could throw 'em.  On anything.

We've got some KI tabs, living as close as we do to a nuke plant.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Online Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 10:33:33 AM »
What Pan said.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 03:28:59 PM »
Remember the first indication of Chernobyl was the Swedes detecting radiation in the sensors at one of their own power plants. They initially thought their own plant was venting radioactive material and shut it down.

Any prevailing winds coming from the direction of, I don't know, Iran?
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 03:44:29 PM »
Oh don't you trouble your li'l self about all that Glock! The UN is on the case and they say, 'No worries man...it's all good!'.  ::danceban::

Seriously though, yeah - iodine-131 is a by-product of nuclear testing (among other things like pharmaceuticals, nuclear fission and medicinal). But that is exactly what popped into my head the first time I read this as well...'has anyone checked on Iran lately?'.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.” 
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus

Offline BMG

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 03:47:23 PM »
This reminds me of a comment I read in the comments section on this story actually.

The commenter was speculating about the recent earthquake in Turkey and underground nuclear testing...

Iodine-131 has a half-life of 8 days so I don't know how that fits with the earthquake in Turkey...did that happen in the last 8 days? Can't recall...
- Patrick Henry

- Tacitus