Author Topic: Appeal filed with 11 Circuit in Obamacare  (Read 1935 times)

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Appeal filed with 11 Circuit in Obamacare
« on: March 09, 2011, 12:57:17 AM »
Published: March 08, 2011

WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration has appealed the ruling by a federal judge in Florida that the individual mandate provision of the Affordable Care Act is unconstitutional and therefore the entire law is void.

The appeal was filed on Tuesday in Atlanta with the Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit.

On Jan. 31, Judge Roger Vinson, of the Northern District of Florida, in Pensacola, ruled that it's unconstitutional to require people to purchase health insurance. And because that provision in the law cannot be removed from the rest of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), "the entire Act must be declared void."

Last week, Vinson stayed his opinion pending an appeal by the administration, but made the stay contingent on the administration filing the appeal within seven days.

The Supreme Court is expected to be the final arbiter on the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act.

To date, Vinson and another judge have ruled parts of the law unconstitutional; three judges have upheld the ACA's constitutionality; and 13 courts have thrown out the case on various grounds.

Link

H/T Rielh World View, without which we'd have heard nothing.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
Re: Appeal filed with 11 Circuit in Obamacare
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:13:37 AM »
Good let's move this ball forward.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline AmericanPatriot

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 09:53:36 AM »
Anyone know the leanings of this court?

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 10:14:53 AM »

It's hard to find anything definitive about ideological leanings in a cursory search. But it appears from what I can glean that this is a pretty evenly divided court with many judges appointed by both Republicans and Democrats, and that it has somewhat of a socially conservative record - affirming prayer at public events, upholding zoning laws for adult entertainment, ruling in favor of former felon voting prohibitions, etc.

I would guess it will boil down to which judge or panel of judges rules on this case.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:18:30 AM by IronDioPriest »
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 10:27:02 AM »
I would submit that it really doesn't matter. Even if they had chosen the 9th circus and gotten a unanimous opinion, this will be settled, for better or for the end of our country by SCOTUS. And it is that simple - either ØbozoScare dies a richly deserved death or America does.

If the left can mandate this, they can mandate anything.

I won't submit.

The courts can either join me or take their rightful place...in my crosshairs.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 10:28:20 AM »

Looks about half and half to me.  Can't always tell by who appointed them though...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Court_of_Appeals_for_the_Eleventh_Circuit
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 11:01:19 AM »
Soup's right it doesn't matter.They aren't the final sulution to this it's just another stepping stone.
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 01:19:09 PM »

The matter is will it be sooner or later.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »

The matter is will it be sooner or later.

I think knowing now that the SOB pre funded it later is an advantage to them in the sense that they blow a whole lot of money in the mean while.Even if SCOTUS kills it were out all that money.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 07:34:08 AM »
Congress could pull the funding, but Obamakov would veto, but burying the measure in every single bill passed would be one way to try to hammer it through.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.