Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 233217 times)

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #820 on: August 12, 2016, 05:12:11 PM »
She's a brick, house?

Oh, not that far back?
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #821 on: August 12, 2016, 06:00:08 PM »
More on this...prequel/spin-off...

https://youtu.be/frdj1zb9sMY

December, huh?  Well, if I am not otherwise engaged in my own fight for Liberty, sure.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 06:04:24 PM by Libertas »

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #822 on: September 01, 2016, 10:25:15 PM »
Just got done watching the netflix original series "Stranger Things" -  this may be targeted right at me, because I was 12 in 1982, but I really enjoyed it.  Imagine E.T., the Goonies, Poltergeist, Firestarter, Alien, Stand By Me, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Carpenter's The Thing, all thrown in a blender  in a respectful homage kind of way, but without being a copy of any of them. The Music, the beginning titles, the dress , the decor, the cars ,  even the dialog  are so 80's perfect that you will wonder if this wasn't filmed in the 80s and you just missed it.

Season 2 is scheduled for 2017 some time. But yeah,  the $8  I paid to netflix this month was totally delivered upon  with this one show . Only 8 episodes in season 1  though, so husband them and don't binge watch .

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #823 on: September 01, 2016, 11:03:31 PM »
Oh good, something new to check out.  Thanks, Weisshaupt.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #824 on: September 02, 2016, 12:08:33 PM »
Yeah I have heard good things about Stranger Things.  I'm going to check it out.

And I think Rogue One has potential to be quite good.  It might be better than Ep. 7, as it's set back during the "classic" Star Wars time period of rebels fighting an Empire at peak strength.  One thing I think is very cool is that they are finally cross pollinating the films with the rest of the Star Wars universe.  The character played by Forrest Whitaker is Saw Gerrera, who was a character originally introduced in the Clone Wars animated series.  Which btw, if you like Star Wars you should watch the Clone Wars animated series.  It was fantastic.

Saw Gerrera was leader of a band of freedom fighters who were fighting against the occupation of their planet by the Separatists during the Clone Wars.  When the Republic defeated the Separatists and turned into the Empire, Gerrera's band just transitioned from fighting the Separatist droid army to fighting the new Imperials.  Kind of mirrors real history, where today's allies turn into tomorrow's enemies and vice versa.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #825 on: September 02, 2016, 07:11:05 PM »
I'm starved for quality entertainment...the utter dreck permeating the bazillion channels we have today is stunning in its lack of originality and imagination...

Honestly I think watching my cat clean himself is more entertaining than dialing into any of that!

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #826 on: September 02, 2016, 07:45:54 PM »

::rolllaughing::

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
« Reply #827 on: September 03, 2016, 11:32:16 AM »
Stranger Things has been on my radar for a couple weeks now. Bonus: I always had a crush on Wynona Ryder.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #828 on: September 03, 2016, 11:50:28 AM »
Stranger Things has been on my radar for a couple weeks now. Bonus: I always had a crush on Wynona Ryder.

Yeah, so did I. Warning: She is not as cute as she once was... but I think she made the transition to playing middle aged mom pretty well.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #829 on: September 03, 2016, 01:50:58 PM »
Ryder's role was tedious and annoying. Sorry.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #830 on: September 03, 2016, 04:43:53 PM »
Ditto.  But we'll live through it.

eta:  On second thought, I found her tedious and annoying in every movie except the third Alien(s) film.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #831 on: September 03, 2016, 06:46:16 PM »
I thought she gave a masterful performance opposite Daniel Day Lewis in "The Crucible".

Also loved her in the Alien movie, "Heathers", and "Beetlejuice".

Didn't like her too well on the surveillance video of her shoplifting though.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #832 on: September 04, 2016, 12:44:54 PM »
Who?

::unknowncomic::

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #833 on: September 04, 2016, 02:29:17 PM »
Don't forget her role as Mina in Dracula, playing opposite a block of wood known as Keanu Reeves.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #834 on: September 04, 2016, 04:13:04 PM »
Don't forget her role as Mina in Dracula, playing opposite a block of wood known as Keanu Reeves.

I turn that one on whenever I have insomnia. Works like a charm...

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #835 on: September 04, 2016, 07:32:24 PM »
Ryder's role was tedious and annoying. Sorry.

In Stranger Things? Perhaps. The whole thing is a string of tropes, and the "Mom Crazy to find her child"  thing isn't new, and therefore could be tedious.. but I am not sure that is the actor's fault. . I was just glad to see she wasn't trying to relive glory days pretending she was still a hottie, or something. Middle aged Crazy Housewife is the role she got, and I think its the role she played. Its sort of the nature of the films that this is borrowing from  that the adults be rather clueless,  cutout and ineffective.. thus giving the children an opportunity to take initiative. I can't say she was over the top fantastic in the role, but I can't say I was annoyed by the portrayal either.  But hey sometimes you just don't like an actor.   Keanu Reeves is the one my wife hates - all she can see when he is on the screen is Ted from Bill and Ted's Excellent adventure. But yeah, you see him in anything else where he isn't playing Ted in some form, he turns to a wooden doll.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #836 on: September 04, 2016, 09:42:36 PM »
Yea, I don't want to overstate it but I just didn't enjoy her performance. I thought the kids did great though.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #837 on: September 05, 2016, 01:10:56 AM »
Gary Oldman was masterful in that Drac movie, as he is in just about everything he's in.

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #838 on: September 05, 2016, 08:39:59 AM »
Watched episode 1 of Stranger Things last night. Weisshaupt's review is right on the money. It truly feels like a movie from the 80s that I just never got around to seeing. That synth soundtrack!!!

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #839 on: September 29, 2016, 08:42:21 AM »
So they have announced a second Yamato Series will be airing in Japan in 1Q2017, and since my recommendation in March 2015 they have also done a full length movie to intro the new series... which appears to again be a remake of the Original's second series.  This was called Star Blazers  here in the US in the 70s and what you saw then was a watered down, Americanized version because American Kids were pussies - and it was still awesome...

This review give a nice feel for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APjYsaYU7wU&index=30&list=PL8IaGw1W9X7aN7-FCWA0AS4Rp9oSEJ5EZ

I am not sure this should be classified as "obscure" - its not obscure in Japan.
Space Battleship Yamato's original movie was released in 1977  against Star Wars and did better than Star Wars in Japan. It was this series that turned my daughter into an Anime fiend ( no its not my fault- I asked my son to watch, and daughter just wanted cuddle time..)   and Michelle still thinks its her favorite or a close second to Steins;gate.

But, the  review is correct on the fact that there is no good legal way to watch this.
But anyone wanting bunker entertainment at cost should PM me.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 08:59:02 AM by Weisshaupt »