Author Topic: Trap's Movie Thread  (Read 45924 times)

Online IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Trap's Movie Thread
« Reply #860 on: March 08, 2017, 08:44:36 AM »
It's not a movie, but my wife and I are about three episodes away from finishing a full watch-through of "The Sopranos" for the first time. Good TV. And it's the earliest example I can think of, being one of the first great TV shows of this modern era we've discussed - when TV programming content began to compete with feature films in the quality of writing, casting, budget, etc. Through 6 seasons, we haven't run across an episode that wasn't top-notch, the quality easily compared to an excellent feature film.

I think that for anything character-driven, TV has emerged as superior in every way to feature films. There's just no way a movie can flesh out a character like a TV show over the span of several seasons.

And I can't think of a better fictional example than Tony Soprano of Proverbs 26:11... "As a dog returns to its vomit, so fools repeat their folly." What a character. What a show full of characters!
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #861 on: March 08, 2017, 09:16:42 AM »
I was more suggesting watching the British Theater Stream  than the Joss  version.
I also watch a lot of Anime and old series I missed (wandering my way trough Lost in Space now..after finsihing UFO and Space 1999 -- probably do Time Tunnel next. ) .

Joss' movie may be good. It may not. But hey its Shakespeare. As long as we don't have him adding a gay couple, I think we will be fine.

I think Joss is far more interested in telling a good story, and really doesn't care about politics much beyond saying what he needs to say to be successful in Hollywood and thereby securing his continuing ability to tell good stories.  And after Firefly and even Avengers, he got lots of 'splaining to do  to the Hollywood establishment I suspect. Gotta establish his street cred.
Or he is a full die hard liberal, but - like most of them, is work is compartmentalized away from his emotional politicking, and he is even aware of when they conflict.

I can't say I provide a 100%  boycott of the Holloywood leftists I dislike,  but the cable is off, I  very rarely see movies in the theater, or even buy them anymore.  I am sure they all get some small share of the $20 a month I spend on Hulu and Netflix ( and netflix as a company has the same crappy politics, but they have A series of Unfortunate Events,  Stranger Things ( which has our stupid Sheriff lefty) ,  House and soon, MST3k. so they get my $10 for that reason only. And when I no longer need those things, and if nothing replaces them, I am outta there.. And while I will continue to watch the good, non preachy shows,  You can bet I won't be following the liberal talent to other endeavors because I like them. In all, the money I used to spend on Hollywood and its cesspool has been dramatically reduced. My Children watch mostly youtube programs- and I think Hollywood, like traditional music and print publishing, is on a downward spiral they will neither adjust to or endure.

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #862 on: March 16, 2017, 10:13:00 PM »

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #863 on: March 17, 2017, 07:32:58 AM »
It was so much more enjoyable with Joel Hodgson...for me it was like the Beatles after Yoko once he left...Mike Nelson was OK but it was so much better with Joel, his snarky Minnesotan affectations and all...and seeing it on the old Ch.23 the first time I was like "What the heck is this?" but once you start watching and hearing the clever quips and exaggerated mouthed sound effects...I was hooked!
GOP? - Nope. No more. They made their bed, now let them die in it.*
* © Libertas (H/T Glock32)

Online Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #864 on: March 17, 2017, 08:10:04 AM »
It was so much more enjoyable with Joel Hodgson...for me it was like the Beatles after Yoko once he left...Mike Nelson was OK but it was so much better with Joel, his snarky Minnesotan affectations and all...and seeing it on the old Ch.23 the first time I was like "What the heck is this?" but once you start watching and hearing the clever quips and exaggerated mouthed sound effects...I was hooked!

Joel is there,  3rd over from  the right ( if you Include Tom Servo) - He is the one who brought this back to life.  I agree Mike Nelson was never as good as Joel, and te sow declined ( but was still funny) after Joel left....but now Joel is back and  we get to see if New guy can be better.  ( Probably not)
And I like Feliica Day ( The Guild, Dr. Horrible )  I have high hopes

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #865 on: March 17, 2017, 08:18:18 AM »
Yeah Joel helped bring this back, wish he was the front man again...guess they want somebody younger...shame.  And yeah, I like Felicia, she's got spunk.

But I am resigned to the fact that it will never be as good when it was new...

(sigh)
GOP? - Nope. No more. They made their bed, now let them die in it.*
* © Libertas (H/T Glock32)