Author Topic: Byebye Keith Olbermann...  (Read 3005 times)

Offline BigAlSouth

• Established Member
  • Who won't 'co-exist?'
Byebye Keith Olbermann...
« on: March 30, 2012, 04:37:16 PM »
I am sad to report that Current Television has fired Keith Olbermann. Notorious misogynist Elliott Spitzer hired to replace him.

Current indicated that he had failed to honor the terms of his five-year, $50 million contract, giving the channel the right to terminate it.

In the letter, the channel’s founders, Al Gore and Joel Hyatt, wrote: “We created Current to give voice to those Americans who refuse to rely on corporate-controlled media and are seeking an authentic progressive outlet. We are more committed to those goals today than ever before. Current was also founded on the values of respect, openness, collegiality, and loyalty to our viewers. Unfortunately these values are no longer reflected in our relationship with Keith Olbermann and we have ended it.”

Obituary found here: http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/30/current-tv-dismisses-keith-olbermann/

(H/T Drudge)
The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living
are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.
--------------
The enemy of my enemy is my friend; the friend of my enemy is, well, he is just a dumbass.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Oh Noesss! Bathtub Boy Without Current
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 04:39:30 PM »
Cuz algore has soooooo much more integrity than Keef.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 04:42:11 PM »
I wish he'd get into a bathtub with a different sort of current.  15-20 amps should do it.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 04:50:47 PM »
I wish he'd get into a bathtub with a different sort of current.  15-20 amps should do it.

Don't be stingy  ;)

Offline Tom G.

• Newb
Byebye Keith Olbermann...
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 07:02:06 PM »
Keith Olbermann fired by Current TV

Keith Olbermann was abruptly fired on Friday by Current TV, after only a year on the air, the latest feud and flame out by the loudest liberal voice on Cable TV.

In a letter to its viewers, such as they are, Current TV said the former ESPN and MSNBC pundit would be replaced by former New York Gov. Elliot Spitzer, who has recently been subbing for Olbermann.  The letter by the network, chaired by ex-Vice President Al Gore, said:

“We created Current to give voice to those Americans who refuse to rely on corporate controlled media and are seeking an authentic progressive outlet.  We are more committed to those goals today than ever before.

“Current was also founded on the values of respect, openness, collegiality and loyalty to our viewers.  Unfortunately, these values are no longer reflected in our relationship with Keith Olbermann and we have ended it.”

In announcing Olbermann’s replacement, Gore said:  “Elliot Spitzer is a veteran public servant and astute observer of the issues of the day.”

Olbermann released a statement saying he will sue Gore and Current TV co-founder Joel Hyatt.  He faulted them for failing to address technical deficiencies that have plagued the program and network.

“It goes almost without saying that the claims against me implied in Current’s statement are untrue and will be proved in the legal actions I will file against them presently,” Olbermann added.

Olbermann, a former sportscaster, came to prominence at MSNBC during President George W. Bush’s second term with scathing, often-emotional commentaries aimed at administration war policy and such targets as then-Vice President Dick Cheney.

“Countdown with Keith Olbermann”  took aim, as well, at the right-wing Fox News Channel.  The loudest mouth at Fox, Bill O’Reilly, became the frequent “winner” in Olbermann’s nightly “Worst Person in the World” contest.

Bloviating by BillO in response helped boost Olbermann’s ratings, and ignited a war of denunciations between Fox and NBC.  Olbermann loved to do on-air impressions of Australian-born mogul and Fox overlord Rupert Murdoch, who once fired Olbermann from a previous job.

But Olbermann was a difficult employee.  MSNBC built a lineup of other liberal commentators, notably Rachel Maddow, and decided to sever ties with Olbermann in the middle of a four-year, $30 million deal.

In letting Olbermann go, MSNBC was equally cool, declaring:

“MSNBC thanks Keith for his integral role in its success and we wish him well in his future endeavors.”

Olbermann was given the title of Chief News Officer at Current TV, and Gore described him as a “perfect fit.”

Spitzer resigned as governor of New York after revelations that he had patronized a high-priced call girl service.  He resurfaced, briefly, as a CNN host.  He recently hosted a New York fundraiser for Washington gubernatorial candidate ex-Rep. Jay Inslee.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. ::laughonfloor::
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 07:06:39 PM by Tom G. »

charlesoakwood

Re: Byebye Keith Olbermann...
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 07:44:02 PM »

“Current was also founded on the values of respect, openness, collegiality and loyalty to our viewers.  Unfortunately, these values are no longer reflected in our relationship with Keith Olbermann and we have ended it.”

::laughonfloor::

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 08:32:49 PM »

Don't be stingy  ;)
::thumbsup::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 09:16:31 PM »
   Who?? Where??
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • Hippies smell bad. Go away, hippie.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 11:22:41 PM »
I wish he'd get into a bathtub with a different sort of current.  15-20 amps should do it.

Actually, given the correct conditions it only takes a few milliamps...as little as .006 amps through the heart should do the trick. You could solder a needle to each end of a AA battery and then jab the needles into both forefingers and that would probably do it. But without a path through the heart via the blood vessels then you are probably close at the 15 to 20 amp range because then you have to overcome the skin's resistance to current flow. Perhaps sitting in a bathtub of brine solution would enhance the effect.

Personally, I am hoping that Keith hooks up with Rosie in some kind of a sick television losers thing where they go off together in a sex/suicide weekend at a Motel 6. It would look good in a People magazine feature with commentary by Donald Trump.
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 01:04:42 PM »
What the hell is "current"?
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 01:39:18 PM »

It's Algore's pretend cable/satellite "network" that he has to pay to have providers carry. You may or may not have it available on your system. It will be shoehorned between a community access channel and a 24/7 infomercial site at the far end of the list.

And Keith was their "star."

I guess they will be showing reruns of the Beverly Hillbillies or something in its place until they find a new "star." As mentioned above, Rosie is available and she is of the same talent caliber...
In a doomsday scenario, hippies will be among the first casualties. So not everything about doomsday will be bad.

Offline Alphabet Soup

• Conservative Superhero
  • Hier standt ich. Ich kann nicht anders
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 02:21:11 PM »

It's Algore's pretend cable/satellite "network" that he has to pay to have providers carry. You may or may not have it available on your system. It will be shoehorned between a community access channel and a 24/7 infomercial site at the far end of the list.

I guess they will be showing reruns of the Beverly Hillbillies or something in its place until they find a new "star." As mentioned above, Rosie is available and she is of the same talent caliber...

Didn't they already announce that they had hired Eliot Spits~not~swallows as his replacement?

Offline Predator Don

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 02:28:38 PM »

How do you pay that much when you may have 3 viewers. 50 Mil? I can't see that network grossing anywhere near that amount in a year.
I'm not always engulfed in scandals, but when I am, I make sure I blame others.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 07:33:24 PM »

How do you pay that much when you may have 3 viewers. 50 Mil? I can't see that network grossing anywhere near that amount in a year.

You make it up in volume. Or use the leftist model for success,keep borrowing money.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 09:01:22 PM »
Didn't they already announce that they had hired Eliot Spits~not~swallows as his replacement?

Ah, yes...Client number 9. They should get Marv Albert to be his sidekick.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2012, 09:09:57 PM »

Ah, yes...Client number 9. They should get Marv Albert to be his sidekick.

Nothing like looking in a new septic tank for better crap.
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline trapeze

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »
Hey, guys...check out the Newb thread.