Author Topic: Politics and Football  (Read 1819 times)

Offline 21stCenturyThinker

• Newb
  • Renaissance Man- Don't Fear the Rebirth
Politics and Football
« on: November 05, 2012, 01:46:54 PM »
It's a trivial thing but I consider it very revealing. As many people are aware, the outcome of the Washington Redskins football game immediately preceding the national election has been eerily consistent in predicting the outcome of the presidential election. If the Redskins win, the incumbent wins. If the Redskins lose, the challenger wins and the incumbent is voted out of office. According to Scott Hanson on NFL Redzone, it has happened this way 17 of 18 elections since 1940. I'm a little too busy right now to check that statistic but I accept it. Well, the Redskins lost yesterday to the Carolina Panthers. Looks like Mitt Romney is our next president.

But to my point: At halftime the studio presenter, Dan Patrick, ran through the entire lineup of games from Sunday, showing highlights from each one as they always do. Somehow the Redskins game didn't get mentioned at all. As if it never happened. RG3 and Cam Newton played a fairly exciting game but NBC thought we wouldn't be interested in the outcome. Or more likely they didn't want to even take a chance that one of their presenters might mention the legend, thus predicting a Romney win on Tuesday.

I've got to admit, it scares me to think about the level of mind control and media bias needed to pull off the total erasure of a football game featuring this year's hottest quarterback versus last year's hottest quarterback. I'm no more paranoid than the next guy, but it sure makes me wonder what sort of hi-jinks might be going on inside the White House that are being edited, cleansed and purified. If Ronald Reagan was made of Teflon, what the heck can Obama be made of? Nothing sticks to him at all.

Offline IronDioPriest

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I refuse to accept my civil servants as my rulers
Re: Politics and Football
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 01:56:13 PM »
...I've got to admit, it scares me to think about the level of mind control and media bias needed to pull off the total erasure of a football game featuring this year's hottest quarterback versus last year's hottest quarterback...

Welcome back, 21CT.

The elephant in the room after this election is really the media. With known exceptions, it is populated at the highest levels with people who are willing and eager to distort, lie, obfuscate, and rewrite the news, so far as it serves the Leftist cause.

The very existence of our constitutional republic relies upon a basic premise that the electorate will have access to truthful information (along with campaign propaganda) with which to discern their electoral preferences and make electoral decisions. The first amendment exists to provide the free press with protection against a federal government that would seek to control it or penalize it. That press has a sacred duty to provide the electorate with as much truth as it can glean from facts and evidence, so that we may make wise, informed decisions based on truth.

The situation with the press as it now stands threatens the existence of the United States, and it needs to be dealt with, one way or another.
"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self-preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law, would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

- Thomas Jefferson

Offline 21stCenturyThinker

• Newb
  • Renaissance Man- Don't Fear the Rebirth
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 02:22:18 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly. I always felt that the media's sacred mandate was to bring to light abuses of the political process and make sure the voting populous was well aware of what their politicians were up to. The media should be friends with no politician or political party and should owe their whole allegiance to us, the little people who are in such danger of having our liberty stripped from us by power grabbing politicians. Too much of the media is violating that trust and they should be held to account.

One of my favorite sections of the Fox News web site is the Media Bias alert in which they try to point out the abuses and omissions of the other news outlets.

I despair for the young voters who have never been taught to expect the unbiased truth. They are taught by the media that it's cool to hate and belittle the Republican party and it would take an exceptional young person to go beyond their brainwashing and realize that they are being subjected to mind control. If this was war, the liberal media would be convicted of collaboration with the enemy: selling out their allies in order to spread propaganda for the ones who would deprive us of our liberty.

I suppose they feel they can get away with it. No one will hold them to account. Have we become so lazy that we are no longer capable of outrage?

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »
The situation with the press as it now stands threatens the existence of the United States, and it needs to be dealt with, one way or another.

I will tell you exactly what I, personally, think "dealt with" should mean: it means they should be lined up in front of a wall and shot dead.

I am not letting loose with idle hyperbole either. I know in my heart of hearts that at some point the cause of liberty is going to once again require acts of war, and that is the fate I see as befitting these willful agents of tyranny. They know exactly what they are doing. So shall we.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 02:44:53 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly. I always felt that the media's sacred mandate was to bring to light abuses of the political process and make sure the voting populous was well aware of what their politicians were up to. The media should be friends with no politician or political party and should owe their whole allegiance to us, the little people who are in such danger of having our liberty stripped from us by power grabbing politicians. Too much of the media is violating that trust and they should be held to account.

One of my favorite sections of the Fox News web site is the Media Bias alert in which they try to point out the abuses and omissions of the other news outlets.

I despair for the young voters who have never been taught to expect the unbiased truth. They are taught by the media that it's cool to hate and belittle the Republican party and it would take an exceptional young person to go beyond their brainwashing and realize that they are being subjected to mind control. If this was war, the liberal media would be convicted of collaboration with the enemy: selling out their allies in order to spread propaganda for the ones who would deprive us of our liberty.

I suppose they feel they can get away with it. No one will hold them to account. Have we become so lazy that we are no longer capable of outrage?

Hey!  Who you calling "little people"?!  (Just kidding.)

Speaking of collaborators, Gunsmith and I were watching Band of Brothers again last night and I was very conscious of how enemy-collaborators were dealt with during WWII.  The women who had sex with them were either hung, or stripped, heads shaved, and shoved out of town; the men were "disappeared" and found dead.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 08:11:41 PM »
The Fifth Columnists infesting the media have an inescapable reckoning coming.
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 07:50:19 AM »
Whenever I think politics and football, I think how whiny today's pro athletes are becoming.  Case in point, the Vikings kicker.

Apparently the Pioneer Press isn't gay enough for Chris Kluwe

Frankly I've drifted so far away from these whiny welfare recipients known as the Minnesota Vikings, I couldn't have told you who he was before today.  I'm just reminded why I not only drifted away from watching pro football in the first place, but now actively dislike these people.   ::curtsy4::

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 08:16:14 AM »
Kluwe is a klueless klassless kook.

::asskicking::

We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 08:33:27 AM »
In high school the kicker/punter was also known as "the guy who carries all the jock straps to the laundry room".  It's probably a little more equitable in the NFL, but there still has to be muffled laughter when one seems to take himself so seriously.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly