Author Topic: I think I'm done?  (Read 5800 times)

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
I think I'm done?
« on: December 19, 2012, 04:22:06 PM »
  I got all the Sicilian  crap that I need for Christmas eve.

The Torrone is made and the Bacala(salt Cod)is in the house the seafood salad is bought and waiting for Sunday to make that up. The Ham is present and accounted for,chestnuts and all the makings for the side dishes.

$400.00 later and all I need is the drinks. Damn all that work and it's over in notime.
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
Re: I think I'm done?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 04:51:35 PM »
What, no eel?

Sounds good, though, JF.  Enjoy yourselves ... and the little one.

We're having lots of shrimp cocktail on Christmas Eve, Italian bread and a salad with everything on it.  I'll be going to get the fresh shrimp and salad fixings on Sunday and baking the bread during the day Monday.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Weisshaupt

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:11:29 PM »
  I got all the Sicilian  crap that I need for Christmas eve.

The Torrone is made and the Bacala(salt Cod)is in the house the seafood salad is bought and waiting for Sunday to make that up. The Ham is present and accounted for,chestnuts and all the makings for the side dishes.

$400.00 later and all I need is the drinks. Damn all that work and it's over in notime.

Never go against a Sicilian when dinner is on the line!

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 06:20:32 PM »
What, no eel?

Sounds good, though, JF.  Enjoy yourselves ... and the little one.

We're having lots of shrimp cocktail on Christmas Eve, Italian bread and a salad with everything on it.  I'll be going to get the fresh shrimp and salad fixings on Sunday and baking the bread during the day Monday.

EEL EEK!!!Shrimp this year will be in a Marinara Sause served over Polenta(fancy word for Grits) Then after dinner it's Cactus fruit and Persimons,fenel figs ans god knows what will happen between now and Monday.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 06:22:32 PM »
Yous peoples eat some weird stuffs!   ::speechless::
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 06:54:02 PM »
Yous peoples eat some weird stuffs!   ::speechless::

What's weird? ::saywhat::
 Filippo Mazzie

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 07:03:24 PM »
Yous peoples eat some weird stuffs!   ::speechless::

Cactus fruit, persimons, eel, bacala.  Of course I grew up as a steak and potatoes man.  I'm sure there are some Slovenian food I love that you may turn your noses up to, like halushka.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:06:40 PM by benb61 »
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 07:51:25 PM »

Cactus fruit, persimons, eel, bacala.  Of course I grew up as a steak and potatoes man.  I'm sure there are some Slovenian food I love that you may turn your noses up to, like halushka.

I don't know what it is but I'm a player on damned near anything that isn't blazing spicy.As for the rest I don't eat EEL I have and I don't like them,taste like muddy cat fish and I don't eat that either,bacala is salet cod fish no mystery there,the others are just fruit,expensive but just fruit.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 07:54:01 PM »

I don't know what it is but I'm a player on damned near anything that isn't blazing spicy.As for the rest I don't eat EEL I have and I don't like them,taste like muddy cat fish and I don't eat that either,bacala is salet cod fish no mystery there,the others are just fruit,expensive but just fruit.

Here is a decent recipe.http://www.homegardencook.com/cooking/halushka-cabbage-and-noodles-with-bacon/
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 08:29:08 PM »

Here is a decent recipe.http://www.homegardencook.com/cooking/halushka-cabbage-and-noodles-with-bacon/

No big thing I would eat it,might not cross the street to get but I would eat it.
 Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 08:53:03 PM »

Never had muddy cat fish, but I can tell you the eel you had must not have been prepared properly because it's good when it is.  My mother makes it the best!

Now, the bacala -- yech!  Salty, dry, gag ya, stick in the throat fish, no matter how it's made.  Yah, what's not to like.

Stand with you on the blazing spicy; not a fan.

And, HEY YOU!  BEN!  Do not be pickin' on the ethnic foods, man!   ;)
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

charlesoakwood

QQQ
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 09:15:46 PM »

Yeah, it's racist!\

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 09:20:49 PM »

Never had muddy cat fish, but I can tell you the eel you had must not have been prepared properly because it's good when it is.  My mother makes it the best!

Now, the bacala -- yech!  Salty, dry, gag ya, stick in the throat fish, no matter how it's made.  Yah, what's not to like.

Bacala dry?You do know that you have to soak it in water  right
 Filippo Mazzie

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 09:35:29 PM »
Being from the South, this is our version of ethnic cuisine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zDHSLDY0Q8

As these two guys try to "out black" each other with increasingly bizarre soul food, I laugh every time. It's really not even a black so much as Southern thing. Growing up I don't know if I ever ate vegetables that hadn't been prepared with fatback drippings. For the record it is awesome.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

RickZ

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 10:16:57 PM »
John, I'm surprised you don't like eel.  Although I have not had an Italian version, only the Japanese smoked version, unagi, it was absolutely delicious.  I usually hate fish skin, but the eel skin was thin crispy and softly cracked in the mouth, almost like a brulee when spoon is put to it.  The eel itself was soft and buttery, like a good gnocchi.  Truly unbelievable.  I am now a fan of eel, although I'm sure there are some preps I would not care for.  I've had an Italian octopus stew before, so I can't imagine not liking Italian eel.

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 10:33:52 PM »
John, I'm surprised you don't like eel.  Although I have not had an Italian version, only the Japanese smoked version, unagi, it was absolutely delicious.  I usually hate fish skin, but the eel skin was thin crispy and softly cracked in the mouth, almost like a brulee when spoon is put to it.  The eel itself was soft and buttery, like a good gnocchi.  Truly unbelievable.  I am now a fan of eel, although I'm sure there are some preps I would not care for.  I've had an Italian octopus stew before, so I can't imagine not liking Italian eel.

When young I tried it an is one of the very few things I just never took a liking to and cat fish is the other,Can't give you a good reason for it it just tastes muddy to me also won't eat Talapia tastes just as bad to me. Have no reason it just does,my wife loves Talapia and tried sliding it by me and got caught every time,the last time I threw it down the toilet to make my point and haven't seen it since.

Then again this didn't help.
Dirty Jobs - Fish Waste Water

"Dirty Waters, Dangerous Fish"

Any questions?

Filippo Mazzie

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 11:31:59 PM »

Bacala dry?You do know that you have to soak it in water  right

Tsk.  Don't make me smack you.  You think my eighty year-old mother doesn't know what she's doing?  Of course, ya soak it.  It doesn't matter; that's the way it tastes to me even after the soaking and the salad making, and I like most fish.

Growing up I don't know if I ever ate vegetables that hadn't been prepared with fatback drippings. For the record it is awesome.

Glock, for Thanksgiving we made the green beans with bacon fat and it was gooooood.  New thing for us and we're looking to expand on it.

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 06:51:35 AM »
I'll take the spicey (not necessarily BLAZING) and the fat-veggies...but hold the cabbage!  That stuff gives me the winds!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online benb61

• Established Member
  • My 2 fast cars
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 09:31:13 AM »
I'll take the spicey (not necessarily BLAZING) and the fat-veggies...but hold the cabbage!  That stuff gives me the winds!

That stuff gives everyone the winds.
Eschew Obfuscation

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 10:26:39 AM »

Isn't that the point to eating cabbage?
 Filippo Mazzie