Author Topic: Guess giving all the kids trophies for participating didn't work so well after a  (Read 862 times)

Offline AlanS

• Conservative Superhero
  • Proud Infidel
College kids are narcissistic.
Pyschologist Jean Twenge and her colleagues compiled the data and found that over the last four decades there's been a dramatic rise in the number of students who describe themselves as being 'above average' in the areas of academic ability, drive to achieve, mathematical ability, and self-confidence.

But in appraising the traits that are considered less invidualistic - co-operativeness, understanding others, and spirituality - the numbers either stayed at slightly decreased over the same period.

Researchers also found a disconnect between the student's opinions of themselves and actual ability.

These young egotists can grow up to be depressed adults.

A 2006 study found that students suffer from 'ambition inflation' as their increased ambitions accompany increasingly unrealistic expectations.

'Since the 1960s and 1970s, when those expectations started to grow, there's been an increase in anxiety and depression,' Twenge said. 'There's going to be a lot more people who don't reach their goals.'
Twenge is the author of a separate study showing a 30 per cent increase towards narcissism in students since 1979.

So this 'everybody wins' thing just isn't preparing them for reality. We've been telling the same thing for years to anyone who will listen.
"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
We've allowed ourselves to become one that emphasizes the accumulation of things rather than love of family which has been effectively discarded for the majority of Americans these days. Women have been encouraged to go for a career opposed to family and when they realize they can't have both they believe they have to sacrifice one or the other. Run down the personals on Craig's list and see the proof. So many have devoted their time to achieve it all only to hit hard when realizing they haven't any time for a relationship so they become unwed single mothers by choice thinking that fatherhood is a thing of the past.  ::rockethrow::
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
"THE PROBLEM WITH SELF-ESTEEM. “What’s really become prevalent over the last two decades is the idea that being highly self-confident – loving yourself, believing in yourself – is the key to success. Now the interesting thing about that belief is it’s widely held, it’s very deeply held, and it’s also untrue.”

As an alternative to self-esteem, I would suggest self-respect, which comes from actual achievement and self-knowledge.

Posted at 6:37 pm by Glenn Reynolds" (Instapundit)
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
I've been railing against the non-results-oriented crowd for three decades now, I'm tired of yelling, I just want them gone.  These are the same people that emasculate our boys, demonize men, tell women they can have it all and push all the socially repugnant crap like pc/multi-culti/diversity garbage at us 24/7/365...jurnotards, Hollyweirdos, libiots, MFMers, wymens libbers, GLBT freaks, Imams, Pastors, Priests, Pagans, psychologists, sociologists, counselors, union teachers, unelected bureaucrats....

::cussing::   ::outrage::   ::gaah:: 

::asskicking::
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Online ToddF

• Conservative Superhero
No one saw this coming 20 years ago, when the likes of Rush Limbaugh pioneered the mocking of leftists in education, teaching Johnny that if he thought 2 + 2 = 5 than that was OK, and that Johnny was just as smart as the kid who knew  2 + 2 = 4.

Oh snap.  Rush did see this coming, didn't he. 

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
We all did...even the leftists (but for nefarious reasons which are now all too obvious)...
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.