Author Topic: A ‘Tea Party’ budget  (Read 2383 times)

charlesoakwood

A ‘Tea Party’ budget
« on: April 03, 2011, 10:55:32 AM »

The Hill

By Chris Littleton and Dan Lillback - 03/30/11 06:42 PM ET

The U.S. government is broke — a concept the American people understand, but is lost on many of our representatives.

Let’s review the math. Our federal budget (estimated) is made up of incoming tax revenue ($2.2 trillion), spending ($3.5 trillion), deficit, aka the yearly credit card ($1.3 trillion), and current national debt (more than $14 trillion). Basically, debt per taxpayer is now $128K.

The budget is similar to a family crisis created by spending too much on cars, luxury items and vacations at the risk of losing your house and not being able to feed your children. In response, most logical Americans get rid of the expensive car, sell the lavish items and cancel that vacation if they don’t have the money. As a family, they make the right decision and sacrifice together.

Unfortunately the congressional approach is not so simple, since you must consider the all-powerful god for the D.C. politician — self-preservation. Like addicts waiting for their next fix, they need just enough power to keep them alive. For that reason we are mired in a debate more concerned with scoring political points than actually fixing the problem.

Take Sen. Chuck Schumer as an example —...
 They [congress] must take a very serious look at where our money really goes: Medicare/Medicaid, Social Security, defense and the Treasury (mostly payment on the debt). These 4 areas of expenditure eclipse all federal tax revenue before we even consider any other departments that make up the remainder of the budget.

Paul Ryan has a budget plan to devolve SS, Medicare, and Medicaid. Pass his plan now and pursue a plan that not only deals with the future but attacks our present ills. Eliminating bogus bureaucracies is a double benefit immediately.

The Department of Education's budget is over $60 Billion, HUD's budget is over $48 Billion,  EPA's budget is $10 Billion,  HHS's budget is over $750 Billion.  The total annual cost to us for continuing these agencies, which may not have included your favorite, is over $868 Billion dollars.  That's nearly $1 trillion dollars.  That pays 2/3's of our annual credit card.
How many other bogus bureaucracies need the axe?

Eliminating these agencies would be an immediate reduction to the budget, cause an exponential increase in our national productivity, create full employment, and bring a reduction in the cost of goods and services every day. 

Offline warpmine

• Conservative Hero
Re: A ‘Tea Party’ budget
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 02:26:38 PM »
Congress made these bureaucracies so that they wouldn't have to actually do their jobs which is oversight of programs they create. If they had to actually oversee and make the changes they wouldn't form the programs to begin with. Just an observation.

Get rid of the Dept(s) of Energy, the Interior, Education Agriculture just to name a few. Homeland Security is a massive joke as well as Transportation.
Rescind all those hundreds of thousands of pages of regulation that do little but employ pencil pushers and strap yourself in tight for an economy that takes off with that of rocket powered engines.

This is a tough step so much because the legislators will lose 100% of their political power.
Remember, four boxes keep us free:
The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 05:31:52 PM »
Congress made these bureaucracies so that they wouldn't have to actually do their jobs which is oversight of programs they create. If they had to actually oversee and make the changes they wouldn't form the programs to begin with. Just an observation.

This is a point not made often enough. If Congress was actually performing its oversight duties, that would take away too much time used to craft new legislation and finding new areas of human existence for the government to insinuate itself into. This "active Congress" thing largely began in the early 20th century, not coincidentally the "progressive era".
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
  • Alea iacta est! Libertatem aut mori!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 07:37:40 AM »
Progressives & parasites, we were warned long ago...and we still are failing to learn the lesson!

"I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson,
Reference: Jefferson: Writings, Peterson ed., Library of America (1497)

The morons on the Hill cannot cut a few billion, does anybody expect them to cut a few trillion without a massive pruning of the entire system?

The Leftists will attack Ryan's modest plan, without saying one damn word about what they would do to tame the beast, because all they have to offer is more of our blood and the blood of children yet unborn to throw into the beast's mouth!
We are now where The Founders were when they faced despotism.

Offline Glock32

• Conservative Superhero
  • Get some!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 02:04:49 PM »
I'm sick of them being allowed to continually spout their "this is extreme" nonsense, when the point goes unmentioned that what they're trying to do is craft a budget that should have been done nearly a year ago! The Democrats controlled both houses of Congress and the White House, so there is no excuse whatsoever for their failure to pass a budget. They deliberately shirked that responsibility because they didn't want to remind the American people of what spendthrifts they are right before an election. But oh, the new Republican majority having to clean up after the previous Congress, they're the extremists?

Oh well. That's just how it is when 98% of the broadcast and print media are propaganda organs of the Dumbocrat party.
"The Fourth Estate is less honorable than the First Profession."

- Yours Truly

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 07:05:06 AM »
Yeah, I blew another gasket this morning while shaving...I have the radio on, not much to choose from that early in the morning, so I was listening to the Wall Street Journal Review...they have some WSJ reporter come on to talk about Ryan's plan.  He goes into the particulars and then says the Dem's will attack it because "polls show people want action to cut debt and the size of government, but when it comes to specifics like Medicare they get nervous and don't want that"!   ::gaah::  We have been hearing that BS from Dem's for over 30 fricken years!  And this WSJ jackass is buying it hook, line & sinker! I know the WSJ reporting cadre has been drifting left, but man, it's getting worse!  And then this jackass says it's a starting point but that Ryan will have many people blowing holes in his plan.  I snapped.  The Left has no fricking plan but to blindly attack anyone else's plan by throwing stale sh*t at it!  All they can think of is higher taxes and spending more, they are incapable of anything else and these media twits just don't fricken understand this!  And then we wonder why there are so few courageous people to fight the good fight, the fight with reality and facts on their side?!  I was cursing like a Incubus, probably woke the whole damned neighborhood!  I just want to scream at these bastards "What do you got that's better than Ryan's plan, asshole?!"

Seriously, I can;t take much more of this...

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 07:42:51 AM »
I know the feeling.  I was listening to Chris Wallace (on Fox) interviewing Ryan about his plan and he was harping on "you're NOT going to raise taxes"??!
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"

Offline Libertas

• Conservative Superhero
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 11:25:50 AM »
 ::facepalm::

Nothing worse than a long slow painful death!

::gaah::

There seems to be a serious inability to acknowledge the true nature of the problem (We can't afford Big Bloated Government anymore!  We have

no  ::cussing:: money you SOB's!) and an equally disturbing naivete regarding the consequences (Complete  ::cussing:: collapse of everything!  Chaos!

BITS!) of failing to act.

I just want to throttle people while asking them WTF is wrong with them!

::angry::

charlesoakwood

Offline John Florida

• Conservative Superhero
  • IT'S MY FONT AND I'LL USE IT IF I WANT TO!!
All men are created equal"
 Filippo Mazzie

charlesoakwood

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 11:54:07 PM »

Offline Damn_Lucky

• A Regular
    • patriotsteaparty
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 06:21:48 PM »
Progressives & parasites, we were warned long ago...and we still are failing to learn the lesson!

"I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson,
Reference: Jefferson: Writings, Peterson ed., Library of America (1497)

The morons on the Hill cannot cut a few billion, does anybody expect them to cut a few trillion without a massive pruning of the entire system?

The Leftists will attack Ryan's modest plan, without saying one damn word about what they would do to tame the beast, because all they have to offer is more of our blood and the blood of children yet unborn to throw into the beast's mouth!

That is the Progressive way! ::gaah::
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves - Edward R. Murrow

Offline LadyVirginia

• Conservative Superhero
  • Mt. Vernon painting by Francis Jukes
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 10:12:30 PM »
"The budget is similar to a family crisis created by spending too much on cars, luxury items and vacations at the risk of losing your house and not being able to feed your children. In response, most logical Americans get rid of the expensive car, sell the lavish items and cancel that vacation if they don’t have the money. As a family, they make the right decision and sacrifice together."

You'd hope.

But here's why many still don't get it.

Several years ago (when the economy was good) I had a friend who was a financial advisor.  This family invited him over to their home (McMansion--two SUVs in driveway) to help them budget.  They were in the red every month.  He showed them what they would have to do.  They didn't want to give up their yearly trip to Disney, the annual ski trip etc, not buy this or that etc. They said they couldn't give those up.  They kept asking him to help them stay out of the red!  As if all he had to do was rearrange the numbers and it would all be okay.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Online Pandora

• Administrator
  • Conservative Superhero
  • I iz also makin a list. U on it pal.
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 10:23:27 PM »
Yup.  *"Rice and beans; beans and rice".  When they get to the point where they're willing to even consider that, they're ready.

Until then, suffer.

*Dave Ramsey.

Debt gives me the heebies.  I cried when we signed our mortgage papers.

/don't look at me like that; it was better than throttling the bank and the lawyer which I so dearly wanted to do.
"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

"Let us assume for the moment everything you say about me is true. That just makes your problem bigger, doesn't it?"